E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Reliability (rod bearing problems?)

02-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #397
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
What are you gonna go for ? I always contemplate getting a new car. But i am never set on something.

I think ill go for the twin turbo v6 nissan/Infinity. Within a couple of years they will drop in price a bit.

The q60 type. 400 hp easy. And much reliable than this n55 junk. I call it junk because my engine bay shits the fan every month. And rod bearing worry is not worth it honestly.
Yeah thinking S4 or Q60. Couldn't justify getting another used BMW after everything that's happened with mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #398
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

I got mine brand new from dealer and it still shit the bed at 72k KM on the odometer...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #399
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post
I got mine brand new from dealer and it still shit the bed at 72k KM on the odometer...
Messed up.

I am so done with my car. It's been a constant headache. Right after 50k.
Appreciate 2
GreQonE33.00
feuer4275.50
      02-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #400
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Y'all got so unlucky. Bought my car from a guy that was highly place in an insurance company. This being said, the car was paid by his work so was all the maintnance at BMW. Under warranty, this car was taking care of extremly well.

I now own this car since December 14 2017 where I got it at 95K Km. I am now at 110K Km with MHD Stage 1+ Tune and other support mods. 1 month after I got the car I tuned it to MHD Stage 1.

Prior to me owning the vehicle, appart from regular maintnance, the water pump was changed and a small leak at the oil housing was notes of files.

When I owned the car, I replaced that gasket and did an oil change using Castrol Edge 0W40. Also had my expansion tank blow up and leak on me so I replaced that as well. I also installed a new control arm on passenger side. No spark plug change yet, doing that this summer along with MHD Stage 2+ and downpipe. Other than that I also replaced my windshield washer pumps.

I am a student and I know some problems will be comming down the line, but I am still going to go FBO and maybe swap the turbos.

Now I said that y'all were unlucky, but thinking about it now I realised I inversed the role and I was the lucky one.

Sure you can go out and look for new cars where you will most likely encouter some different type of problems (if you are looking at cars with the same specs/hp level) that have not yet been revealed, but I will probably keep this car and bring it back to life as long as I still have the time and funds to do it. If you probably can't keep up with the car's demand maybe you should consider switching because honestly, I can only seing it get worse.

Now, yes some of these car demands aren't suppose to happen (especially something as important as these bearings), I totally agree. But it's still a 335, people won't drive it like a Civic (although in some places in the engine it feels that it was so cheaply built) meaning that the car wears down in irregular ways and faster.

It feels like buying a BMW is now known as a hassle for everyone. It kinda is. But I often remind myself why I bought it in the begining and its defenetly because of the fact that it has an insanely great mod capacity, support and tuning and this is what I find, in some way, "reliable".

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 02-11-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #401
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Y'all got so unlucky. Bought my car from a guy that was highly place in an insurance company. This being said, the car was paid by his work so was all the maintnance at BMW. Under warranty, this car was taking care of extremly well.

I now own this car since December 14 2017 where I got it at 95K Km. I am now at 110K Km with MHD Stage 1+ Tune and other support mods. 1 month after I got the car I tuned it to MHD Stage 1.

Prior to me owning the vehicle, appart from regular maintnance, the water pump was changed and a small leak at the oil housing was notes of files.

When I owned the car, I replaced that gasket and did an oil change using Castrol Edge 0W40. Also had my expansion tank blow up and leak on me so I replaced that as well. I also installed a new control arm on passenger side. No spark plug change yet, doing that this summer along with MHD Stage 2+ and downpipe. Other than that I also replaced my windshield washer pumps.

I am a student and I know some problems will be comming down the line, but I am still going to go FBO and maybe swap the turbos.

Now I said that y'all were unlucky, but thinking about it now I realised I inversed the role and I was the lucky one.

Sure you can go out and look for new cars where you will most likely encouter some different type of problems (if you are looking at cars with the same specs/hp level) that have not yet been revealed, but I will probably keep this car and bring it back to life as long as I still have the time and funds to do it. If you probably can't keep up with the car's demand maybe you should consider switching because honestly, I can only seing it get worse.

Now, yes some of these car demands aren't suppose to happen (especially something as important as these bearings), I totally agree. But it's still a 335, people won't drive it like a Civic (although in some places in the engine it feels that it was so cheaply built) meaning that the car wears down in irregular ways and faster.

It feels like buying a BMW is now known as a hassle for everyone. It kinda is. But I often remind myself why I bought it in the begining and its defenetly because of the fact that it has an insanely great mod capacity, support and tuning and this is what I find, in some way, "reliable".
You only drove the car for 10k KM... Lol i think u have to own it a bit longer before u can tell us something about how reliable its been.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #402
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
You only drove the car for 10k KM... Lol i think u have to own it a bit longer before u can tell us something about how reliable its been.

Lol totally agreed. All that I said might be even selfish, but you sill mentionned that you where struggling with your car since 50K Km so I just wanted to note that I still haven't really have anything occure yet. Your point of view is probably over a 100 times more credible than mine because of your experiences and knowledge.

This is what's interesting though.

I still have the external view of someone who hasn't yet ran in a major problem. I am pretty sure that when something bad occurs I will be the first to come here and whine about how my shitty car let me down. This being said all I wanted was to put out the fact that every car ends up running in issues and people who run in issues speak, but the ones who don't do not. This is why sometimes it seems overwhelming and pointing towards the fact that the engine is unreliable.

And when I say this I totally exclude all the stock car with rod bearing failure below 150K km. All products fail in life. It can be a phone, microwave, a rocket heck even your house. But having a major defect of your product fail prematurly and for no solid reason (that we know of yet) is just simply unacceptable and this is where I tend to agree and say that the engine is simply unreliable.

Sorry again if my point of view seemed selfish and "unfounded".
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      02-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #403
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Lol totally agreed. All that I said might be even selfish, but you sill mentionned that you where struggling with your car since 50K Km so I just wanted to note that I still haven't really have anything occure yet. Your point of view is probably over a 100 times more credible than mine because of your experiences and knowledge.

I still have the external view of someone who hasn't yet ran in a major problem. I am pretty sure that when something bad occurs I will be the first to come here and whine about how my shitty car let me down. This being said all I wanted was to put out the fact that every car ends up running in issues and people who run in issues speak, but the ones who don't do not. This is why sometimes it seems overwhelming and pointing towards the fact that the engine is unreliable.

And when I say this I totally exclude all the stock car with rod bearing failure below 150K km. All products fail in life. It can be a phone, microwave, a rocket heck even your house. But having a major defect of your product fail prematurly and for no solid reason (that we know of yet) is just simply unacceptable and this is where I tend to agree and say that the engine is simply unreliable.

Haha same here I've only had the OFHG and thermostat but as I said previously... as long as my transmission or engine doesn't fully shit the bed I'll be happy.

Having a major component like that fail is just not acceptable IMO at less than 200k KM. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me or then I think I'll have to pay off the car and get rid of it.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #404
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Its probably just my car its been a bit more demanding.

Id rather deal with small little things here and there than rod bearings. Glad ur car has been good since ur a student. I also have all the means to repair things and like diy.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #405
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

Quote:
Messed up.

I am so done with my car. It's been a constant headache. Right after 50k.
I got the full diagnosis now.

A screw holding together rod bearings got loose.
The engine turned into a blender afterwards damaging everything in sight.
Not much of the engine is salvagable.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #406
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreQonE View Post
I got the full diagnosis now.

A screw holding together rod bearings got loose.
The engine turned into a blender afterwards damaging everything in sight.
Not much of the engine is salvagable.

Shit happens. That's very unfortunate. This is why you can't base a cars reliability on a forum though. People literally only come here to post up failures lol. A rod bolt breaking/backing out is not common... What is kind of common is the aluminum bolts that hold the oil pump and windage tray in place back out and cause chaos in the crankcase.
Appreciate 3
GreQonE33.00
9krpmrx8808.00
feuer4275.50
      02-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #407
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

bbnks2 can you please post here in detail, with diagram maybe, how you installed the oil acusump and how you change the oil with it. Also I would like to know if not corrected to the oil cooler return line where else it could be connected to?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #408
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
bbnks2 can you please post here in detail, with diagram maybe, how you installed the oil acusump and how you change the oil with it. Also I would like to know if not corrected to the oil cooler return line where else it could be connected to?
Maybe I'll make a video. It seems so daunting but it was extremely easy to fit and use.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #409
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Maybe I'll make a video. It seems so daunting but it was extremely easy to fit and use.
I would like to install one on my track 335i. It would probably go affront of the front passenger seat. Is it only on oil line from accusump to oil return line on the top of the OTH? M2/M3/M4 have two oil pumps. Second oil pump suck oil from the front section of oil pan. I guess oil accusump won't work if connected to oil pan? Oil return line would be easier for me to execute anyhow. I would appreciate the details.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #410
AydenBensink
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hello everyone, I have been doing some research on N55 rod bearing problems because I am afraid that I am the next victim of this tragic news. I recently purchased a 2011 bmw 335i coupe with ~75k miles on it. I now have ~80k miles and today I heard the awful knocking noise, FML. I didn't know what it was at first but I knew it didn't sound good. I am afraid that I have a bad rod bearing. After reading all the horror stories on various forums a few have caught my eye. Multiple people claimed that a faulty gasket in the oil filter housing caused coolant to leak into the oil and basically cause mass destruction. I found this interesting due to the fact that about a month ago I got my oil filter housing replaced by a mechanic (not BMW) for the hefty price of $1400. I'm wondering if the job wasn't done properly and is the cause for this problem or if it's purely coincidence. I'm hoping I caught it early because I have seen other videos and the knocking is definitely quieter. I appreciate any help you can give me and for the time being my baby girl will be sitting, definitely not driving it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #411
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydenBensink View Post
Hello everyone, I have been doing some research on N55 rod bearing problems because I am afraid that I am the next victim of this tragic news. I recently purchased a 2011 bmw 335i coupe with ~75k miles on it. I now have ~80k miles and today I heard the awful knocking noise, FML. I didn't know what it was at first but I knew it didn't sound good. I am afraid that I have a bad rod bearing. After reading all the horror stories on various forums a few have caught my eye. Multiple people claimed that a faulty gasket in the oil filter housing caused coolant to leak into the oil and basically cause mass destruction. I found this interesting due to the fact that about a month ago I got my oil filter housing replaced by a mechanic (not BMW) for the hefty price of $1400. I'm wondering if the job wasn't done properly and is the cause for this problem or if it's purely coincidence. I'm hoping I caught it early because I have seen other videos and the knocking is definitely quieter. I appreciate any help you can give me and for the time being my baby girl will be sitting, definitely not driving it.

drain the oil send a sample out, check filter... nothing else u can do without inspecting bearings or providing a video to listen to (which i am not recommending you start the car for)
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #412
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ffs another 2011. I know it's not on subject but 1400$ for OFHG done be a indy yikes...

Anyhow as Pladi recommends I would say send a oil sample for sure without turning the engine. Also for "fun" you can also check if you have metal in your oil or oil filter.

The only real way to confirm would be to drop the pan I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #413
AydenBensink
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

drain the oil send a sample out, check filter... nothing else u can do without inspecting bearings or providing a video to listen to (which i am not recommending you start the car for)
I actually do have a video of the sound but when I try to add an attachment it won't let send a video, only a photo
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #414
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I actually do have a video of the sound but when I try to add an attachment it won't let send a video, only a photo
Upload it to Youtube then link Youtube vid here
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #415
AydenBensink
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Ffs another 2011. I know it's not on subject but 1400$ for OFHG done be a indy yikes...

Anyhow as Pladi recommends I would say send a oil sample for sure without turning the engine. Also for "fun" you can also check if you have metal in your oil or oil filter.

The only real way to confirm would be to drop the pan I believe.
It wasn't just the gasket it was the entire oil filter housing unit (Gasket included). If is faulty work would I be able to take them to court with proof of faulty work.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #416
AydenBensink
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Upload it to Youtube then link Youtube vid here
Ok, in class right now but I will upload a video this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #417
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't just the gasket it was the entire oil filter housing unit (Gasket included). If is faulty work would I be able to take them to court with proof of faulty work.
Oh wow okay.

I mean not sure what exactly could be a failure with the whole piece itself... usually it's just the ~ 50$ gasket. Unless you also have a oil cooler and maybe the thermostat in that went wrong...

Rarely seen the whole metal housing be replaced. Not sure what you can do for courts I'm not from USA lol.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #418
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow okay.

I mean not sure what exactly could be a failure with the whole piece itself... usually it's just the ~ 50$ gasket. Unless you also have a oil cooler and maybe the thermostat in that went wrong...

Rarely seen the whole metal housing be replaced. Not sure what you can do for courts I'm not from USA lol.
this is true make sure they did not rip you off thats all.
Appreciate 1