E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > An Off topic question here ---> Jeep Wrangler



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Question An Off topic question here ---> Jeep Wrangler

Does anybody here own a Jeep Wrangler?
I'd like to hear opinions, experience, feedback about owning, maintaining, reliability, etc, etc. Thank You
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
dlando
Private First Class
dlando's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i e92
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

My cousin has a 2009 Rubicon, 6 MT, with Navi. They are sweet trucks! with the doors and roof off they are extremely fun to drive. They can also go anywhere you want them to. however, it cost him almost 90$ a fill up, and he only gets 350 km a tank It has been bulletproof so far with 65,000 km.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Havok_2011
Havok_2011's Avatar
Canada
186
Rep
3,143
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDUB328i View Post
My cousin has a 2009 Rubicon, 6 MT, with Navi. They are sweet trucks! with the doors and roof off they are extremely fun to drive. They can also go anywhere you want them to. however, it cost him almost 90$ a fill up, and he only gets 350 km a tank It has been bulletproof so far with 65,000 km.
Similar experience with several friends of mine that own one. Solid machines, lots of fun in the summer when you take the parts off.

The Rubicon is not cheap though, you got to put down some serious money, and so many things are extra parts its crazy. I was thinking of buying a Rubicon for the winter, but the price tag was too much for me right now.

Keep in mind a Wrangler is a bump ride than a regular car/suv, and stability at high speeds is not as great either.


If you are buying an older used Wrangler, I am told they can drain your pockets with items to fix pretty fast....but then again, you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Question

I sold my F350 which was a piece of $h1t....
I plan to buy the 4door 2012 Jeep Wrangler (longer wheelbase) for driving to the cottage while keeping the bimmer in the garage during the winter.
So far I read mixed reviews about the reliability. The Consumer Report said it had the worse reliability but some people swore up and down they were the best vehicles out there.

I took the leap of faith with my 335i which was supposed to be plagued with fuel injector problems, HPFP problems, the water pump issue, idrive issues, etc.

If I have to ask blatantly, which one has a better reliability? 335i vs. the Jeep Wrangler?


Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
They added the pentastar v6 this year, it's about 25% more fuel efficient (and just much better overall, the old 3.8 v6 was sort of a dinosaur) if that matters to you. I actually looked very hard at the new wrangler before I went with my FJ and the only real deciding factor for me was that the years I was looking for (06-09) the FJ is just straight up more reliable.

If I was buying new it'd be a much tougher choice. The wrangler is as good off road (or as close as makes no difference), gets better mpg (and has better power) and has a much nicer interior.

Are you buying new or used and what will you be using it for? I would not buy one if all you're ever going to do is drive on road.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
dlando
Private First Class
dlando's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i e92
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I dont think that one can even compare the two, the 335i is a much more complex machine. It has numerous components that aren't cheap to fix and needs to be meticulously maintained. The Jeep on the other hand, being a 2012 your looking at, will have much less electrical components and is cheaper to maintain down the road. In essence, both vehicles need to be maintained adequately but the jeep will have much less costly repair bills down the road, over the 335i. As for being reliable, it all depends on how their treated, most guys who have problems drive them hard, off roading for example. I've always believed if you maintain your vehicle as its supposed to (Don't follow BMW's 25,000 km oil change intervals lol) you should be fine!










Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
I sold my F350 which was a piece of $h1t....
I plan to buy the 4door 2012 Jeep Wrangler (longer wheelbase) for driving to the cottage while keeping the bimmer in the garage during the winter.
So far I read mixed reviews about the reliability. The Consumer Report said it had the worse reliability but some people swore up and down they were the best vehicles out there.

I took the leap of faith with my 335i which was supposed to be plagued with fuel injector problems, HPFP problems, the water pump issue, idrive issues, etc.

If I have to ask blatantly, which one has a better reliability? 335i vs. the Jeep Wrangler?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Question

Wow, this is making me very nervous about buying a 2nd car. I don't want to be stuck with two junkers down the road. What do you guys think about Toyota Tundra or Tacoma for the cottage driving??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDUB328i View Post
I dont think that one can even compare the two, the 335i is a much more complex machine. It has numerous components that aren't cheap to fix and needs to be meticulously maintained. The Jeep on the other hand, being a 2012 your looking at, will have much less electrical components and is cheaper to maintain down the road. In essence, both vehicles need to be maintained adequately but the jeep will have much less costly repair bills down the road, over the 335i. As for being reliable, it all depends on how their treated, most guys who have problems drive them hard, off roading for example. I've always believed if you maintain your vehicle as its supposed to (Don't follow BMW's 25,000 km oil change intervals lol) you should be fine!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Cool

Yikes on Tundra 5.7 MPG . At least that piece of $h1t F350 was diesel and company's car. Fishtailing is never a problem with a fully loaded cargo.
My biggest worry is to spend $$$$ on maintenance for the 335i + the secondary vehicle.
It's hard to decide on the Jeep Wrangler as there are mixed reviews about it.
I tried that Forrester, it low ground clearance = spells for troubles.

I was towing loads of rig drilling equipment (to do the software calibrations, testings, etc.) with the F350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
The Tundra is massive, I love them, but they are friggin' huge. If you get the 5.7 the MPG is hilariously bad. The Taco is nice, I like them a lot. Great engines etc... but I wouldn't be a truck for winter cottage driving personally - I hate trucks in fresh snow. I must pass 5 trucks a day up here that are fishtailing all over the place because of the lack of weight over the rear wheels. That's just me though.

The Jeep would be under warranty (I know taking it in sucks but still)... and the new ones are supposed to be better re: reliability than the old ones. The engine is solid at least. Which is better reliability, 335 or Wrangler? Who knows haha, neither is known to be rock solid.

Have you considered any other vehicles, like say a Subaru Forester or something? Just wondering. Also you mentioned an F350... are you towing?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
MiroE90
Second Lieutenant
9
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (4)

My friends blew up this new-year's eve at 318xxxkm, his was older, he's had it for 12 years. He seemed pretty happy with it, but the last 4 years seemed to have been pretty heavy on maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Talking

Hmmm....If only someone can tell me there is 335i with 319,000 km with reasonable maintenance costs.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE90 View Post
My friends blew up this new-year's eve at 318xxxkm, his was older, he's had it for 12 years. He seemed pretty happy with it, but the last 4 years seemed to have been pretty heavy on maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
117
Rep
8,701
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
i have a 97 with 123000 miles. no problems except the notorious manifold leak every few years..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Question

Got any rust on that BMW? If so, which spots have the rust started?
That way I can monitor and anticipate.
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i have a 97 with 123000 miles. no problems except the notorious manifold leak every few years..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
117
Rep
8,701
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Got any rust on that BMW? If so, which spots have the rust started?
That way I can monitor and anticipate.
Thank You
i dont have any rust on my bmw....... do you mean the jeep?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Yeah, oppps....I mean the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i dont have any rust on my bmw....... do you mean the jeep?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
117
Rep
8,701
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
just some surface rust on the frame.. nothing serious. no body rust at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
MiroE90
Second Lieutenant
9
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Hmmm....If only someone can tell me there is 335i with 319,000 km with reasonable maintenance costs.....
This is what you asked:

"I'd like to hear opinions, experience, feedback about owning, maintaining, reliability, etc, etc. Thank You"

I figured I would pass on what a good fiend of mine went through recently, completely unbiased, as it is not my car, just stating what we discussed. I did not say that they were unreliable, I did not state that a 335 would have more reasonable maintenance costs...

If you ask a question, there is no need to reply with a "smart" response to someone else's response...

I don't recall saying, 335s are the best cars ever and you're a homo for considering to buy a jeep...

Anyway... enjoy your jeep if you get one I guess

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
I'd like to thank your husband for providing such valuable info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE90 View Post
This is what you asked:

"I'd like to hear opinions, experience, feedback about owning, maintaining, reliability, etc, etc. Thank You"

I figured I would pass on what a good fiend of mine went through recently, completely unbiased, as it is not my car, just stating what we discussed. I did not say that they were unreliable, I did not state that a 335 would have more reasonable maintenance costs...

If you ask a question, there is no need to reply with a "smart" response to someone else's response...

I don't recall saying, 335s are the best cars ever and you're a homo for considering to buy a jeep...

Anyway... enjoy your jeep if you get one I guess

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
MiroE90
Second Lieutenant
9
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (4)

Unfortunately, in Canada, we have to tolerate your homosexuality
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Question

Think outside the buns, sister....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroE90 View Post
Unfortunately, in Canada, we have to tolerate your homosexuality
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
One128i
Private First Class
One128i's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Need a true SUV that isn't too big, low maintenance, and has high ground clearance? Toyota FJ Cruiser.

According to Consumer Reports, its extremely reliable, whereas the Jeep has apoor to average reliability history.

IMO, there are many hardcore Jeep fans out there, and they'll think their vehicles are the best in the world, so obviously they're biased.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Frenchstef
Registered
Frenchstef's Avatar
France
1
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: e92
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Brittany

iTrader: (0)

I own an old '94 YJ Jeep for 7 years.

It's very simple and reliable, engine is manage by a timechain and I only have to change oil and filters once a year, so it's a very cheap maintenance.

You just have to have a look avery 3 month on the frame to stop the begining rust.
And sometimes there is some trouble with the hydraulic receptor of manual shift versions.

Engine is bullet proof.

Kids & wife loves it, the perfect cabriolet for beach times.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
43
Rep
1,032
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Question

Merci pour les informations utiles. Qu'est ce que tu conduis votre Jeep surtout sur les routes ou "off-roads"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchstef View Post
I own an old '94 YJ Jeep for 7 years.

It's very simple and reliable, engine is manage by a timechain and I only have to change oil and filters once a year, so it's a very cheap maintenance.

You just have to have a look avery 3 month on the frame to stop the begining rust.
And sometimes there is some trouble with the hydraulic receptor of manual shift versions.

Engine is bullet proof.

Kids & wife loves it, the perfect cabriolet for beach times.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST