E90Post

Evolution of Speed

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > My car was taken via Speed trap...

01-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Yvette
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3,Macan

My car was taken via Speed trap...

I drove to Saskatchewan from Vancouver last September through Calgary.
Due to the jobs, I had to replace my driver license and vehicle insurance registered to Saskatchewan.
Today, I got this letter showing my rear pics I over exceed the speed limit on Hwy 1 in Calgary. 80 was speed limit, and it says I ran 106.
Ticket amount showing $156, my question is,
is this something I can just ignore or is this something that will follow my tail?
the BC plate is already gone long time ago, however it does show up my name and the address I lived in vancouver.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
ZZZZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
Due to the jobs, I had to replace my driver license and vehicle insurance registered to Saskatchewan.
Today, I got this letter showing my rear pics I over exceed the speed limit on Hwy 1 in Calgary. 80 was speed limit, and it says I ran 106.
is this something I can just ignore or is this something that will follow my tail?
the BC plate is already gone long time ago, however it does show up my name and the address I lived in vancouver.
I know forums are great for answering some questions, but this one you're better off asking someone who specialized in fighting 'traffic tickets'. They'll give you free advice. In Toronto we use X-Copper and similar services.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: SQ5

I got a speeding ticket in Nova Scotia in a rental car and I had to pay it in Alberta when I went to renew my license.

This might not be the same situation since I was actually pulled over and you got something in the mail.

Best way to find out is to ask at a registry.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

I believe it may follow you but the "good" thing about photo radar is that you won't get any points. $156 is a small price to pay and you'll be able to forget about it. Hiring someone to fight it just takes more effort and $$$ for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

there are various ways they can screw you. besides taking the legal path, they can send the $156 to a collection agency and "ruin" your credit report.

unless you disappear from North America for a couple of years, $156 is not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
      01-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

In AB, photo radar is charged to the owner of the car/plates. If it is on the old plates and address and you only got the ticket because your mail is forwarded, the odds are that it will never get transferred to your new plate. |If it came to your new address then it will be on your record when you renew your registration next, plus and extra $40 late fee. It will eventually go to a collection agency who will register it against your name in the Vancouver address. For the cost of two tanks of gas, just pay it.

There is red-light cameras on transcanada right at Canada Olympic Park in both directions. The also like to park photo radar vans just west of COP.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Yvette
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep

it has been paid already, it says it could effect my license @ renewal so I had no choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

I got a ticket in the midst of moving from Ontario to Quebec. I immediately transfered my license and waited two months to pay the ticket. The ticket never showed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Yvette
E 9 0 S E X I O N
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post
I got a ticket in the midst of moving from Ontario to Quebec. I immediately transfered my license and waited two months to pay the ticket. The ticket never showed up.
well, i don't know I just thought $156 is not worth of trouble, stress free just paying it up and forget about it.
I didn't want to be surprised later when it says 28% interest and collection blah blah....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

The ticket won't follow you into Sask, affect what you pay for insurance here or your driver's license. But it can come up to haunt you if you are pulled over in Alberta and they run your name. I'd suck it up and pay it.

And welcome to SK!