E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > THE MOST RECKLESS BMW DEALERSHIP IN THE USA... and their lawyers..

01-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #133
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

Can't believe what you're having to go through here. No dealer in the BMW network should deal with people like this. You clearly are a perfectly reasonable person just trying to get their car fixed so that it's not a potential death trap. The way they've treated you is a joke and you and your lawyer must aggressively go after that dealership.

You could have been killed or potentially killed other innocent people had the system failed at the wrong time.

This story parallels many stories I've heard from Mercedes owners. The reputation of Mercedes was sewered because they pissed off so many people by not taking responsibility and correcting a problem that they were obligated to fix. By denying responsibility they got exactly what they deserved. They used to be the #1 luxury automotive brand. Now they're barely clinging to 3rd with Audi on pace to surpass them in the next 5 years.
      01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #134
335Newbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E92

I wonder how the Penske BMW dealership would like to contend with 119,000 e-mails from E-90 Post members? Thats just one from each member, not counting guests who might like to jump in on the project.
      01-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #135
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru View Post
Propagator,

Everything said has been 100% truth and I can back it up if Penske wants to actually come forward and challenge ANY of this instead of just repeatedly ducking my calls and emails.

There have been zero mods done to the car other than minor exterior (ie. upgraded wheels/tires, blackout grill, aero lip, LED halos). Nothing that could cross with anything to cause this type of scenario.

I filed the complaint, although it won't do anything for my personal situation is irrelevant. My main reason for fighting this battle is principle. I find it beyond comprehension that a publicly traded company such as Penske would look past such a critical issue and even worse that BMWNA would rather play the blame game with Penske as opposed to really taking a decent look into what happened here. I got out of the situation safely but the next driver may not have the same luck.

And as always, thank you for the support. I will continue to fight this battle until proper recourse is taken... less likely in a court of law but more in the court of public opinion, where I feel it matters most.
arguru, I applaud your decision to continue this fight, which must come at non-negligible personal cost to you. But I agree 100% that this matter needs attention at many different levels.

I don't know if you've done this already, but since you are investing your time on this, you might as well write up a nice and concise summary of the situation that we can easily lift and post in other forums that we frequent. Posting a link to a long thread is rarely the best way to get attention. It would be very nice to have a few professional sounding paragraphs that explains the situation in a chronological manner, which can then be an introduction to this thread. Something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #136
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

I read a lot of the thread, in your OP, it doesn't say if you had active steering or not. Was it an Active Steering system and was that what caused the failure?

Uh oh. If so.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #137
cjg
Boosted
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 Z4 35is

Did anyone else read some of arguru's other posts?

Is it ok to put my car on blocks? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626795

AutoLogic FAIL... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604319

Seems like he has been messing with the coding, and using blocks to change his tires after an "accident" where he bent both front wheels.
      01-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #138
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post

Is it ok to put my car on blocks? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626795

Seems like he has been messing with the coding, and using blocks to change his tires after an "accident" where he bent both front wheels.
Seems like your digging for something. He asked a few question, nothing indicates that anything was done. Are you affiliated with a dealership. Sure sounds like it. And coding is not related to his issue. Besides, any of the investigative work that has been done would have identified any of the points you are trying to make and would have been delt with at that time.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #139
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Seems like your digging for something. He asked a few question, nothing indicates that anything was done. Are you affiliated with a dealership. Sure sounds like it. And coding is not related to his issue. Besides, any of the investigative work that has been done would have identified any of the points you are trying to make and would have been delt with at that time.
Wait, but I would be curious to know what the nature of this "accident" was. After all, we are talking about a catastrophic failure of the steering system.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #140
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Wait, but I would be curious to know what the nature of this "accident" was. After all, we are talking about a catastrophic failure of the steering system.
I agree, but that would be part of the vehicle history and they would have ruled that out right away and this situation would not have gotten this far.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #141
cjg
Boosted
Rep

Quote:
The rim bend was from various LARGE pot holes/crevices on the shoulder of the freeway that I had no choice but to run over at a high rate of speed at an odd angle due to the steering loss issue.
Well now we get some more information, which was never divulged from my readings. You didn't hit any of these pot holes/crevices, which were large enough to damages both wheels (and possibly some active steering components) before you experienced the steering loss issue did you?

This would also explain why the car had to be towed. As arguru stated before that there was no damage for the "incident".

Just musing...
      01-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #142
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Well now we get some more information, which was never divulged from my readings. You didn't hit any of these pot holes/crevices, which were large enough to damages both wheels (and possibly some active steering components) before you experienced the steering loss issue did you?

This would also explain why the car had to be towed. As arguru stated before that there was no damage for the "incident".

Just musing...
I would think the complete lack of steering would sooner explain why the car had to be towed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #143
cjg
Boosted
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNole2001 View Post
I would think the complete lack of steering would sooner explain why the car had to be towed.
Well arguru stated that he drove, however briefly, the car after the "incident" and before the cars what fixed. I would think steering would be needed for that.
      01-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #144
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:

Even if this was the cause it doesnt explain why the dealership would clear the codes and state it was an emissions thing and let him go without checking what might be the actual cause. What the dealership did was just plain wrong IMO.
      01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #145
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well arguru stated that he drove, however briefly, the car after the "incident" and before the cars what fixed. I would think steering would be needed for that.
No he didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru
Luckily, I made it through 3 lanes of traffic and came to a safe stop on the right shoulder of the freeway. Called BMW SOS and got a nice little malfunction error (FML). Called my insurance company and had it towed on a flat bed.
I know you're playing devil's advocate, but ya' gotta try harder
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #146
cjg
Boosted
Rep

Quote:
No he didn't.

I know you're playing devil's advocate, but ya' gotta try harder
Well he actually did, after he threw a fit about not getting a BMW loaner...

Quote:
At that point I'm done being nice, I take the write up slip, walk into the GM's office and tell him to shove it up his ass. He calls for security, I tell him not to bother, I'm leaving anyways.

I get my car from the lot where it was dropped off. drive it a short distance at about 2mi an hour to a connected parking lot and call USAA to tow it back home. There was no way I was leaving my car with them.
      01-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #147
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Propagator,

The "accident" I was referring to was the actual incident on the freeway. Read my response above. Cross check the dates of the posts, they will match up accordingly.

Also the reason I put the word accident in quotes was because even at that time, my steering failure issue was a well known topic on the forum, so I assumed when I wrote "accident", that most people reading the post would know what I was referring to.
Thanks for the clarification arguru. In hindsight, that should've been obvious. Please understand that while many of us support your cause, some of us probably maintain a small dose of skepticism as well, only because this is, after all, internet.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #148
TheStigsTwin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

I"m still stunned that nobody from BMW of Scottsdale or from BMWNA hasn't just done the logical thing, which is to step forward and fix the problem. Very odd that they would let it snowball like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #149
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well he actually did, after he threw a fit about not getting a BMW loaner...
Alright fine, arguru must have caused this issue by putting his car on blocks after the incident, that or he caused a failure in the steering system by being unable to have his aftermarket headlights coded.

That makes way more sense than a failure of his car occurred after the dealer just cleared an error code instead of investigating the cause of the error code and then after arguru didn't die when his active steering failed the Penske dealer is trying to cover their asses and BMW NA is taking their side instead of his.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #150
cjg
Boosted
Rep

Quote:
Alright fine, arguru must have caused this issue by putting his car on blocks after the incident, that or he caused a failure in the steering system by being unable to have his aftermarket headlights coded.

That makes way more sense than a failure of his car occurred after the dealer just cleared an error code instead of investigating the cause of the error code and then after arguru didn't die when his active steering failed the Penske dealer is trying to cover their asses and BMW NA is taking their side instead of his.
I'm not sure why you are taking this so personally. You seem to believe, without any doubt, arguru's story. That is great for you. I have brought up some points of concern in arguru's story, some of which have now been answered.
      01-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #151
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure why you are taking this so personally. You seem to believe, without any doubt, arguru's story. That is great for you. I have brought up some points of concern in arguru's story, some of which have now been answered.
I'm not taking it personally, I'm just saying there is being skeptical and there is being a contrarian. He keeps answering your skepticism and yet you continue to take the dealer's side in this.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #152
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Can this be escalated to BMW AG?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #153
cjg
Boosted
Rep

Quote:
For those of you who haven't gotten a chance to come across this yet, this is a copy of the write up I got from a third party and unbiased BMW repair shop where I had them check it out shortly after the incident on the freeway occurred. A total of six fault codes came up on their independent diagnostic. All of which posed significant safety hazards and when combined, can cause catastrophic situations.

It should be worth mentioning that none of these codes had anything at all to do with an "emissions" issue. Which was the reason the dealership stated that they "turned off" the warning lights.

I sent this to both Penske and BMW immediately after I got these results and not only did neither company reply, but when i finally did get a hold of them, neither company would discuss the findings calling them irrelevant because they weren't done at one of their dealerships.

Do you have the work order from the BMW dealership from before the incident? Are the specific codes listed then, which ones they cleared?
      01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #154
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

if I read correctly the dealership didn't read the codes they just cleared then originally without checking at all
Appreciate 0