E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Sick and tired of these high pressure fueling shenanigans.

10-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Sick and tired of these high pressure fueling shenanigans.

I purchased my car over a year ago with 70k miles and ever since it has always struggled with long cranks on cold starts. I had a feeling it was the HPFP, but I didn't want to blindly replace it without any specific codes. After flashing MHD onto the car a few months after buying it, the HPFP "shadow code" has been present ever since. Fast-forward through getting a new motor (with injectors, plugs, and coils), a new battery, and a laundry list of other items, my HPFP finally started throwing codes 2 weeks ago. After driving the car in limp mode while waiting for the new pump to arrive, I was finally able to replace it last night. Driving around afterwards, the car felt fantastic and the powerband felt much smoother than it was prior. After logging 50 miles or so, I checked the codes and everything was clear.

This morning I went to start the car and it took 4-5 seconds to finally crank over... Annoyingly enough, when I went to read the codes I saw that the HPFP "shadow code" had returned. The only thing I haven't replaced is my LPFP, which I know is perfectly healthy after running fuel pressure tests on it recently.

Does anyone have any ideas to what could be going on? I'm completely stumped at this point.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I purchased my car over a year ago with 70k miles and ever since it has always struggled with long cranks on cold starts. I had a feeling it was the HPFP, but I didn't want to blindly replace it without any specific codes. After flashing MHD onto the car a few months after buying it, the HPFP "shadow code" has been present ever since. Fast-forward through getting a new motor (with injectors, plugs, and coils), a new battery, and a laundry list of other items, my HPFP finally started throwing codes 2 weeks ago. After driving the car in limp mode while waiting for the new pump to arrive, I was finally able to replace it last night. Driving around afterwards, the car felt fantastic and the powerband felt much smoother than it was prior. After logging 50 miles or so, I checked the codes and everything was clear.

This morning I went to start the car and it took 4-5 seconds to finally crank over... Annoyingly enough, when I went to read the codes I saw that the HPFP "shadow code" had returned. The only thing I haven't replaced is my LPFP, which I know is perfectly healthy after running fuel pressure tests on it recently.

Does anyone have any ideas to what could be going on? I'm completely stumped at this point.
I just replied in the MHD thread about if any of the maps will have a long term effect on the HPFP since I just replaced my HPFP last week and my car only have 50k miles. I'm 91ACN stage 2+. Wonder if the aggressiveness of the maps shorten the life of the fuel pumps.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
I just replied in the MHD thread about if any of the maps will have a long term effect on the HPFP since I just replaced my HPFP last week and my car only have 50k miles. I'm 91ACN stage 2+. Wonder if the aggressiveness of the maps shorten the life of the fuel pumps.
I can't imagine MHD having any significant impact on the HPFP. The rail pressure on the stock map is just about the same as the MHD maps at WOT. Also, the cold start issue has occurred on stock, COBB, and MHD maps for me.

I personally just think it's the design of the HPFP on these motors thats the issue. I find it kind of funny that BMW announced they upped the pressure on the new 3-series motors from 200 bar to 350 bar. I wonder how long the seals in those HPFPs will last.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

What are the shadow codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Ever since I flashed MHD I have had a shadow code for HPFP(fuel pump plausibility is what I think it says). I have read/been told that it is semi-normal for some people to have this code. I have been tuned for 50k + miles now and now am FBO with stage 1 turbos and running E50 with upgraded lpfp and have no issues. As long as the car isn't hard to start, it runs fine, your rail pressure doesn't drop super low, or you don't have any actual active codes I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

When I had my HPFP replaced under warranty (due to long cranks), the dealer also replaced the high pressure fuel sensor (P/N 13537620946 on my 03/11 N55). Did you replace that as well?

No codes or long cranks since then (on MHD Stage 1+).

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahme View Post
What are the shadow codes?
The shadow codes can only be seen by MHD and not BMW's ISTA diag software for some reason. I am not 100% sure what they are, but I have read on here that they were diag codes used during the engineering phase of the car/motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Ever since I flashed MHD I have had a shadow code for HPFP(fuel pump plausibility is what I think it says). I have read/been told that it is semi-normal for some people to have this code. I have been tuned for 50k + miles now and now am FBO with stage 1 turbos and running E50 with upgraded lpfp and have no issues. As long as the car isn't hard to start, it runs fine, your rail pressure doesn't drop super low, or you don't have any actual active codes I wouldn't worry about it.
It seems like most people have the code, but I have been able to narrow down the exact point in which it comes back on after clearing it. If my car is warm, I can clear the code and it will not come back on unless the car has a long crank again. Typically it will only long crank when it sits over night. Every time that it takes 4+ seconds to turnover, the shadow code will show back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
When I had my HPFP replaced under warranty (due to long cranks), the dealer also replaced the high pressure fuel sensor (P/N 13537620946 on my 03/11 N55). Did you replace that as well?

No codes or long cranks since then (on MHD Stage 1+).
I have no replaced the sensor. I was talking to a few techs and they said there are a couple codes specifically regarding the fuel rail sensor, and if I didn't have them it would be a waste to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:

My car has that code. Runs normal.. I dont think that code means anything to be honest. That code is a rabbit hole in my opinion. Now that doesnt mean you dont have fueling issues dont get me wrong. That we dont know. But what i do know is the code shows up on my MHD and my car runs great.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Sorry but it should be " Sick and tired of having trouble with a modified car" lol
Appreciate 2
C2YT68.00
      10-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
redwildcat17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive m sport

Also have the shadow codes and recently been getting some longer cranks so I'll probably go ahead and replace mine, although I am under 70k so I was going to try to get it replaced under warranty but they said I needed codes in order to do so. How did you get yours to throw a code?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
It seems like most people have the code, but I have been able to narrow down the exact point in which it comes back on after clearing it. If my car is warm, I can clear the code and it will not come back on unless the car has a long crank again. Typically it will only long crank when it sits over night. Every time that it takes 4+ seconds to turnover, the shadow code will show back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
My car has that code. Runs normal.. I dont think that code means anything to be honest. That code is a rabbit hole in my opinion. Now that doesnt mean you dont have fueling issues dont get me wrong. That we dont know. But what i do know is the code shows up on my MHD and my car runs great.
Which specific codes are you guys getting?

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry but it should be " Sick and tired of having trouble with a modified car" lol
Well, the car runs fine now except for the fact that the long cranks are still occurring. Considering the code pops up only after a long crank, is what is frustrating to me. Also, the long cranks were just as present when the car was bone stock as they are now, so I feel like this doesn't have anything to do with modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwildcat17 View Post
Also have the shadow codes and recently been getting some longer cranks so I'll probably go ahead and replace mine, although I am under 70k so I was going to try to get it replaced under warranty but they said I needed codes in order to do so. How did you get yours to throw a code?
I was trying to get mine to throw a code for the longest time to get at least a decent % covered under warranty. Unfortunately it only threw a code once it finally went into limp mode, which was at 90k miles, so no warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2BDE and 2BF0 are the main two I consistently see.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

Quote:
I initually had 2BF0 & 2BEF start showing up in December of last year, but didn't have any long cranks.
Then, in June, 2BDE showed up as did long cranks sometimes when car sat more than 10 hours.

I replaced my HPFP (Aug) and the codes & long cranks went away for a week, when I got one long crank and a new code along with the 2BF0 & 2BEF:
2BEC

No long cranks since, but I do still have the 2BEC occasionally by itself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #15
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What's the part number of the replacement pump?

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:31 PM   #16
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I've had 2bf0 and 2bef shadow codes since installing MHD. A lot of other users also report it without HPFP symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #17
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's the part number of the replacement pump?
Part #: BMW-13517616446

I purchased a remanufactured HPFP from FCPEuro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
I've had 2bf0 and 2bef shadow codes since installing MHD. A lot of other users also report it without HPFP symptoms.
It seems like a pretty common code. Though, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I wasn't still getting long cranks after everything I have replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Part #: BMW-13517616446

I purchased a remanufactured HPFP from FCPEuro.

It seems like a pretty common code. Though, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I wasn't still getting long cranks after everything I have replaced.
When doing this type of troubleshooting you need to be very open minded to any possibilities. If your HPFP PSI readings are normal during drives and you are only getting long crank then it could be another issue. Try to log the crank period. And compare the pressure... Compare a normal crank to a long one. Be organized and save the logs and name them. Good crank/bad crank.. and so on.

If you see same pressures then its probably not ur pump. Forget the codes. They are not telling you much. You seem to be fixated to the codes but are not actually troubleshooting anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #19
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Probably not much help but have you thought about your starter? I would have long/slow cranks before replacing mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #20
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When doing this type of troubleshooting you need to be very open minded to any possibilities. If your HPFP PSI readings are normal during drives and you are only getting long crank then it could be another issue. Try to log the crank period. And compare the pressure... Compare a normal crank to a long one. Be organized and save the logs and name them. Good crank/bad crank.. and so on.

If you see same pressures then its probably not ur pump. Forget the codes. They are not telling you much. You seem to be fixated to the codes but are not actually troubleshooting anything.
I'm not fixated on the codes, I just thought it was an odd coincidence that every time I clear them, they only come back after a long crank. I figured that fact might be helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

In regards to logging the cranks, I have tried this in the past and have struggled to get a proper log of the car starting up. When the car is cold after sitting over night, upon the first attempt of starting the car will continuously crank over until I go to press the start button again. Upon the second attempt of starting, the car will fire right up. Due to this, I haven't been able to log with MHD as it cancels the logging when I stop the first crank. Any ideas if there is a way around this?

I'm also contemplating taking my BMS intake off and throwing my OEM intake on to see if that could be messing with the MAF scaling on initial startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
Probably not much help but have you thought about your starter? I would have long/slow cranks before replacing mine.
New starter and new battery as well. Starter sounds perfectly healthy too.
Appreciate 1
lwgrenier117.00
      10-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm not fixated on the codes, I just thought it was an odd coincidence that every time I clear them, they only come back after a long crank. I figured that fact might be helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

In regards to logging the cranks, I have tried this in the past and have struggled to get a proper log of the car starting up. When the car is cold after sitting over night, upon the first attempt of starting the car will continuously crank over until I go to press the start button again. Upon the second attempt of starting, the car will fire right up. Due to this, I haven't been able to log with MHD as it cancels the logging when I stop the first crank. Any ideas if there is a way around this?

I'm also contemplating taking my BMS intake off and throwing my OEM intake on to see if that could be messing with the MAF scaling on initial startup.

New starter and new battery as well. Starter sounds perfectly healthy too.
Thats interesting because i can start logging with the car OFF.. Try looging when the car is completely off you should be able to log that. I always have been able. Thats when your ACC mode. Start logging then start the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats interesting because i can start logging with the car OFF.. Try looging when the car is completely off you should be able to log that. I always have been able. Thats when your ACC mode. Start logging then start the car.
Okay, I'll try that and check back once I have a few logs to compare.
Appreciate 0