E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Waterpump? Thermostat? Radiator?

11-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i Xdrive

Waterpump? Thermostat? Radiator?

I started having this weird issue ever since last night. The car runs fine, but I did notice the radiator fan runs louder than usual. The car boosts normally, on all maps, and everything is okay.

On longer drives past 30 min I noticed that the first symptom is that the heating starts blowing cold air. When i accelerate harder I notice the boost doesn't build as the waste gates automatically open. After a few minute I get a "engine hot - please drive moderately" warning light.

This puzzles me because after turning the car off and restarting it, everything goes back to point A for the next 20-30 min or so. I scanned for codes on a generic OBD scanner but it does not show anything. The car does not go into limp mode but I haven't driven far enough as soon as the engine hot warning goes off.

Does anybody have any idea what might be the cause? Is it a sign of the water pump going out?

Or just the thermostat since it's controlled electronically and not mechanically?

I also thought about the radiator itself or maybe a hose being lose but i cannot spot any leak what so ever.

Please chime in with any thoughts you have

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'd guess failing water pump. If your heat goes away it means coolant isn't circulating. Is your coolant up to level?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep

Coolant was a little below min, I added some. Still the same issue, I noticed the radiator fan runs really loud from start up.

Wouldn't a bad pump put the car into limp mode after a few minutes?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
proj335i
E90 2011 335i m-sport package
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i m-sport 6MT

Not necessary, my car was acting the same way last spring and my WP had to be replaced. I replaced T-stat and WP
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:27 AM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I'd guess failing water pump. If your heat goes away it means coolant isn't circulating. Is your coolant up to level?
Water pump and thermostat. Often difficult to tell which caused the problem as they are both possible
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Runt he bleeding procedure with car OFF. Can you hear the pump then ?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep

Just did the bleeding procedure, the pump works and upon taking off the cap on a cold engine the coolant is pouring/circulating into the reservoir.

However when i started the bleeding the radiator fan starts to run at full speed and keeps doing so
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I have a feeling you will be replacing the water pump and thermostat
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that's 99% the case I believe. The parts are coming in tomorrow and I'll take it to my Indy. It's been a week without driving my car and i miss it already haha
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep

Took the car to the shop today, and there is no clear issue. The water pump seems to be working, it's pumping coolant during the bleeding procedure, however the mechanic was not able to connect to it win INPA to adjust it's speeds. There are no fault codes in the DME for the cooling system.

They say they would not advise replacing the waterpump thermostat without knowing the exact issue, because it wouldn't make sense to pay for labor if they're not sure.

I have set the JB4 to map 0, drove for about 30 min without the car overheating, but with the heat on the radiator fan still kept turning on and off (with the outside temp being 32 degrees..)

Could the JB4 be clearing those codes? It's the new firmware and if I'm not mistaken it should not be auto deleting any codes.

After 40 min of driving the coolant gauge spiked up from about 210 to 230 and the radiator fan went into full rpm's, I lost heat coming from vents, and I still didn't get a engine overheat light. After restarting the car the heat instantly came back on, and the coolant temps slowly dropped down to it's previous levels.

Really puzzled on this one, I know somethings wrong but just can't pinpoint the issue.

Last edited by Azines; 11-22-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azines View Post
Took the car to the shop today, and there is no clear issue. The water pump seems to be working, it's pumping coolant during the bleeding procedure, however the mechanic was not able to connect to it win INPA to adjust it's speeds. There are no fault codes in the DME for the cooling system.

They say they would not advise replacing the waterpump thermostat without knowing the exact issue, because it wouldn't make sense to pay for labor if they're not sure.

I have set the JB4 to map 0, drove for about 30 min without the car overheating, but with the heat on the radiator fan still kept turning on and off (with the outside temp being 32 degrees..)

Could the JB4 be clearing those codes? It's the new firmware and if I'm not mistaken it should not be auto deleting any codes.

After 40 min of driving the coolant gauge spiked up from about 210 to 230 and the radiator fan went into full rpm's, I lost heat coming from vents, and I still didn't get a engine overheat light. After restarting the car the heat instantly came back on, and the coolant temps slowly dropped down to it's previous levels.

Really puzzled on this one, I know somethings wrong but just can't pinpoint the issue.

How did this start? Since you are not getting heat in the cabin it could be that the thermostat is closed. Your coolant pump might be working but not the thermostat. And not sure if thermostat will throw any codes.

The other possibility is that you have AIR in the system somehow. Bleed the car like 3 times. But its most likely the thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
How did this start? Since you are not getting heat in the cabin it could be that the thermostat is closed. Your coolant pump might be working but not the thermostat. And not sure if thermostat will throw any codes.

The other possibility is that you have AIR in the system somehow. Bleed the car like 3 times. But its most likely the thermostat.
I don't know all of the particulars of the N54 thermostat, but doesn't it only control flow to the radiator...and shouldn't effect flow to the heater core?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post

It started out of the blue last week on Monday, I was driving home at night, and as I was parked i noticed that I lost the heat. I turned the car off and it all went away. The same thing happened the next day after driving for about 20 min.

I bled the system once but need to try it again, I'll have to hook up a battery charger
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I don't know all of the particulars of the N54 thermostat, but doesn't it only control flow to the radiator...and shouldn't effect flow to the heater core?
Thats true. I am a bit puzzled.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azines View Post
It started out of the blue last week on Monday, I was driving home at night, and as I was parked i noticed that I lost the heat. I turned the car off and it all went away. The same thing happened the next day after driving for about 20 min.

I bled the system once but need to try it again, I'll have to hook up a battery charger
Knowing how often the thermostat and pump fail you might have to replace those because all the fails for the pump usually start with FAN kicking high.

MHD Monitoring would be very helpful here i dont know if its available for your year. If not i would log coolant temp with another OBD module. See what that value is because on the dash you can only see oil temp.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of electrical gremlin...like a chewed up wiring harness...maybe...but, that's highly unlikely compared to how often the water pump and thermostats go on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
Azines
Private
United_States
Rep

I've used JB4 settings to turn the oil temp gauge to show the coolant temp instead.

After driving the car more last night, it started overheating again but with no dash light. Dropped it off at the mechanics and this morning they managed to pull the codes, it was indeed the water pump and thermostat.

Hopefully everything will be okay now, picking it up tomorrow. Still puzzled to why the car never threw any code before. I had to complete a drive cycle with the jb4 off in order for the code to show, could it have been that the tune was auto deleting the codes? So far from what I know it doesn't have that feature anymore
Appreciate 0