E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random guesses welcomed odd starting issue

02-21-2024, 11:12 AM   #1
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Random guesses welcomed odd starting issue

My car has a random problem about every six weeks it will not start. New Battery, new alternator, Two year old starter. Usually after driving home or to the store and on a restart without getting out.

2006 e90 210k miles

First time I got cut off came to a hard stop. Car just died it wouldn't restart. I got out, tried several times to start, the lights interior and exterior came on without a problem. But the starter wouldn't even give a thought about cranking just a push of the buttons accessories came on but no crank. Towed to shop went to get something out of car and on a whim hit the start button the next day and I drove home problem free for another month.
A few weeks go by and I get a Christmas tree screen of light and pull to side of road with dead battery. So I had independent shop replace alternator/regulator.
A few weeks go by Another week goers by and battery/alternator problem pops up. I take to dealership who diagnosis the alternator connector wasn't tight enough.
Six weeks goes by (yesterday) I drive home from work sit in car on phone call, turn car off, decide I prefer fast food instead of cooking go to start and full lights/accessories but car doesn't even attempt to crank. I leave for the night this morning as usual no hesitation in starting up.

Looking for random guesses or thoughts...??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:38 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

I don't mean to hit you when you're down, BUT your post describes 3 times the car would NOT start, and each time you took/towed it to $hop/ $Dealer.

If YOU want to try to DIAGNOSE the issue, we need Fault Codes as a starting point (CAS & DME Modules). You can either use a Capable Scan Tool you beg/ borrow/ steal, OR you can take it to large Parts chain: Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc. (don't turn it off ;-) and get codes read.

When you post back with Fault Codes, please provide Last-7 Characters of VIN. We can then suggest "Next Steps" YOU can take. Minimum Tool Requirement: $10 Digital Multimeter (DMM) from HFT/ Amazon.
George
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      02-21-2024, 11:54 AM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I don't mean to hit you when you're down, BUT your post describes 3 times the car would NOT start, and each time you took/towed it to $hop/ $Dealer.

If YOU want to try to DIAGNOSE the issue, we need Fault Codes as a starting point (CAS & DME Modules). You can either use a Capable Scan Tool you beg/ borrow/ steal, OR you can take it to large Parts chain: Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc. (don't turn it off ;-) and get codes read.

When you post back with Fault Codes, please provide Last-7 Characters of VIN. We can then suggest "Next Steps" YOU can take. Minimum Tool Requirement: $10 Digital Multimeter (DMM) from HFT/ Amazon.
George

Sadly these cars do not diagnose themselves. Things can happen that don't provide codes as evidenced by my description of a loose connection etc... Especially on a once every six or so week problem.

If you need codes to even hazard a guess after an independent shop and the dealership both read all codes. Then quite frankly I'm afraid you don't have the skills and and cannot provide any useful advice.

I'm looking for advice that can point to some areas to further probe. Not just a code reader jockey.

This isn't a codes or no codes thread. Personally I've found posting codes leads down the wrong rabbit hole more often than not. Just looking for some code free advice.

Last edited by crashoverride; 02-21-2024 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:35 PM   #4
PhaceN52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 N52B30 US spec

Before digging I'd check if the ground straps are loose or badly corroded, likely the big one on the driver side motor mount... or a relay somewhere in the ignition line that doesn't like to work when hot sometimes?
/Random off
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
...I'm looking for advice that can point to some areas to further probe. Not just a code reader jockey... Personally I've found posting codes leads down the wrong rabbit hole more often than not. Just looking for some code free advice.
If YOU want to solve the issue:
"When you post back with Fault Codes, please provide Last-7 Characters of VIN. We can then suggest "Next Steps" YOU can take. Minimum Tool Requirement: $10 Digital Multimeter (DMM) from HFT/ Amazon".

As I read your posts, you are requesting GUESSES based upon NO Facts/ Data from you, other than descriptions of intermittent "NO Crank" issue. That's "Garbage In, Garbage Out". Good Luck.
George
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:37 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Sadly these cars do not diagnose themselves. Things can happen that don't provide codes as evidenced by my description of a loose connection etc... Especially on a once every six or so week problem.

If you need codes to even hazard a guess after an independent shop and the dealership both read all codes. Then quite frankly I'm afraid you don't have the skills and and cannot provide any useful advice.

I'm looking for advice that can point to some areas to further probe. Not just a code reader jockey.

This isn't a codes or no codes thread. Personally I've found posting codes leads down the wrong rabbit hole more often than not. Just looking for some code free advice.
I get what you mean but still, reading codes is step 1 to diagnosing issues, like it's the basic of any type of troubleshooting. Also another rule, never trust what the last mechanic did and start from scratch. Have you read the codes on the car yourself with a capable tool or not?

And I can definitely say gbalthrop is pretty skilled and is very helpful when I've had to ask some things.
Appreciate 1
gbalthrop2703.50