E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help needed - 325i 2009 battery issue / car dying on motorway

02-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #1
nickhnz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Help needed - 325i 2009 battery issue / car dying on motorway

Hi guys,

Help needed!

My BMW died on the motorway last year while driving - battery dead. I replaced the battery and got the alternator replaced. Two days ago my car died in peak hour traffic and had to be towed, same issue - ABS, Break warnings etc then died suddenly. I brought another brand new battery and got to work fine the next day however when I left work the same thing happened- car died on the side of the road. I have just taken the battery to be tested and they said it is in health (so not fully drained?) - my suspicion is therefore it is the car and not the battery. I have charged the battery and will try and get the car home tomorrow.

Does anyone know why the car is dying with a brand new battery? Could it be an electrical fault or otherwise?

Any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:47 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

I'm NOT familiar with NZ prices & Tariffs. In US, a DMM (Digital Multimeter) is $10. That's a Chinese Import, and YOU are closer to China than we are in US.

First TEST I would conduct with cheap DMM:
1) Measure Battery Voltage at Jumpstart Terminals under hood/bonnet;
2) If less than 12.0V, Jumpstart (at Jumpstart Terminals under hood, NOT at battery in boot), and once engine is running, measure voltage AGAIN at Jumpstart Terminals.

This is to test Alternator Output with engine running. Voltage at Jumpstart Terminals, with engine running, SHOULD be in 14 Volt range. If your reading is in 12V or 11V range, your Alternator needs replacement, assuming the Serpentine Belt is turning Alternator.

If THAT is NOT the issue, please provide Last-7 Characters of VIN, and we can suggest "Next Steps".
George
Appreciate 0