E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need help with Transfer case / VGT issues

08-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
rodneybarrett
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Xdrive

Need help with Transfer case / VGT issues

All,

I will try and keep this short but I need help in diagnosing my issue.

'09 BMW 328i Xdrive E90

Problem started on the interstate, heard a pop and then the trifecta of lights came on. It was out of town and so it got towed to a shop.

The shop replaced the fluid in transfer case and changed the VGT actuator motor based on the test plan results. But still didn't fix the issue. They were say now that the Transfer case control box unit wasn't storing the calibration and needs replacing at $1200. After spending close to $1500 already I finally went out of state and got the vehicle home.

What I have done to date:
- Pulled codes and got this:
- 0054C4 calibration failed
- 00539E Malfunction VTG overall system

- Bought a used control box , same version ,etc. and replace the old one.

- Pulled different codes this time:
- 005463 Fracture Mechanics
- 0055C3 VGSG - wheel-notlaufregelung activated no DXC target torque setting
- 0054c8 klassierwiderstand the servo motor

Is my next step to relearn adaptations for the Actuator motor and recalibrate?

If so, I plan on using ISTA-D to do that?
From what I have been reading, I need to do two things:
- reset the adaptation of VTG Clutch
- then do a VTG Calibration

Anyone got any good instructions on the steps within ISTA-D?

Or maybe this isn't even the right approach. For all I know, my transfer case could be shot.

Any advice/direction is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
rodneybarrett
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Xdrive

update of the above. I went ahead and bought a used Transfer case. Used my old Actuator motor and put in new fluid. Put everything back together and re-calibrated with ITSA+. Everything is back in working order now. happy e90 again. All lights off.

For anyone that may be having similar issues. The key is this:

If you take out the actuator motor(you don't have to remove the transfer case from the vehicle to do this) you can get to the clutch gear in the transfer case through the hole the motor came out off. If you are able to move it with your fingers, then you have internal problems with your transfer case and need another one. More than like a needle bearing on the clutch assembly. I know this as I read a few posts of the same thing and also cracked open my transfer case to find my horizontal needle bearings that the clutches arms ride on were completely demolished.

Hope this help someone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
BoostIsLove
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 speed manual

Thanks for the post, I will be checking this on an e60 528xi that I have. Although I am sure transfer case is toast because it makes a constant grinding/binding sound when driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Theana9
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneybarrett View Post
update of the above. I went ahead and bought a used Transfer case. Used my old Actuator motor and put in new fluid. Put everything back together and re-calibrated with ITSA+. Everything is back in working order now. happy e90 again. All lights off.

If you take out the actuator motor(you don't have to remove the transfer case from the vehicle to do this) you can get to the clutch gear in the transfer case through the hole the motor came out off. If you are able to move it with your fingers, then you have internal problems with your transfer case and need another one. More than like a needle bearing on the clutch assembly. I know this as I read a few posts of the same thing and also cracked open my transfer case to find my horizontal needle bearings that the clutches arms ride on were completely demolished.

+1
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
Rolexking
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive

Xdrive transfer case issue

Quote:

Hi
Wonder if you can help 3 series Xdrive manual
Transfer case issue, had a guy change the clutch pack in transfer case. Traction control and Abs lights still on.
Another garage said the VGT box was faulty, got a 2nd hand one from a spares, which I was promised was good.
This VGt box could not be programmed to the transfer case / car.
I have been to so many garages, BMW said it is either the transfer case or vgt unit. Another garage siad it was transfer case
Garage guy said it needs a new VGT unit as 2nd hand one wont programme to the car, he fixed transfer case and said it is fine
This has cost me a lot of money an dI still have warning lights

Appreciate and advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I recommend not taking it to any other parts changing moron. If you have a laptop get yourself a bimmergeeks kdcan cable and you can scan your own car with dealer level codes for free by downloading INPA. From there you can see what the issue could be. Most of the time the failure item in these transfer cases is the actuator motor which would explain your sudden light trifecta on the highway. By now that's a dead idea since the transfer case was changed.. I'd get it coded to the car if you don't feel comfortable trying to do it yourself and go from there.
      05-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
o2bad455
Rep
Drives: BMW E30, E53 & E83

Quote:
If you take out the actuator motor(you don't have to remove the transfer case from the vehicle to do this) you can get to the clutch gear in the transfer case through the hole the motor came out off. If you are able to move it with your fingers, then you have internal problems with your transfer case and need another one.
I've got a similar issue with the dash light triad plus some rumbling at highway speeds. How difficult should the clutch gear be to move? I honestly couldn't budge it with my fingers, but could rotate it using the old actuator assembly as a lever. Unfortunately, the new actuator assembly made no difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
o2bad455
Rep

Is there any way to programmatically or electrically lock the transfer case so I can rule out some mechanical issues (e.g., broken chain)?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #9
o2bad455
Rep

Here's what INPA said in the transmission section (after machine translation):

E R R O R M E M O R Y --------------------------------------- Date: 16.05.2021 11:52:45 ECU: VGSG83 JobStatus: OKAY Variant: VGSG83 ------------------------------- ------------------------------ RESULT: 2 error in error memory! ------------------------------------------ ------------------- 54C8 54C8 Classifying resistor on the servomotor Error counter: 2 Logistic counter: 40 1. Environment set Mileage 287 160 km input voltage KL30 13.63 volts KL15 status CAN CAN signal OK - KL15 on 0-n KL15 internal KL15. on 0-n motor speed CAN signal OK - ICE on 0-n reset source NO RESET 0-n MKSOLL 0.00 Nm MSperrIstPosLim 0.00 Nm LockError 0.00 1 LockMainState 16.00 1 SGTemp 28.00 degrees C iSM 0.00 Ampere 2. Environment set Mileage 287 160 km input voltage KL30 12.38 volts KL15 status CAN CAN signal OK - KL15 on 0-n KL15 internal KL15. on 0-n motor speed CAN signal OK - ICE off 0-n reset source NO RESET 0-n MKSOLL 0.00 Nm MSperrIstPosLim 0.00 Nm LockError 0.00 1 LockMainState 48.00 1 SGTemp 30.00 degrees C iSM 0.00 Ampere Implausible signal or value Test conditions met. Error currently present and already saved. Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up Error code: 54 C8 68 02 28 8C 37 6D ED 00 00 00 10 0E 00 8C 37 63 E5 00 00 00 30 0F 00 ---------------------- --------------------------------------- 55C4 55C4 CAN_MESSAGE_DSC1 Error counter: 1 Logistic counter: 40 Mileage 287 160 km input voltage KL30 13.63 volts KL15 status CAN CAN signal OK - KL15 on 0-n KL15 internal KL15. on 0-n engine speed CAN signal OK - ICE on 0-n Reset source NO RESET 0-n MKSOLL 0.00 Nm MSperrIstPosLim 0.00 Nm deltaPhiSperreCal -51.00 Grad LockError 0.00 1 LockMainState 16.00 1 DSC1_Fehlersignale DSC1_MK_SOLL 0-n Implausible signal or value Test conditions met. Error does not exist at the moment, but has already been saved. Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up Error code: 55 C4 28 01 28 8C 37 6D ED 00 00 33 00 10 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ====================== ========================================
Appreciate 0