E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI headlight restoration?

09-21-2019, 12:46 AM   #1
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

LCI headlight restoration?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to restore the LCI front head lights so they sorta look... better without having to replace them. I tried a few things, but i still feel like its dull and can use better treatment.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

The search mode can be your friend, this is from the last 90 days alone.
Attached Images

09-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
PURE340i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
The search mode can be your friend, this is from the last 90 days alone.
Thanks for doing all the work
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not a problem.
      09-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattsE90 View Post
Grab 800g 1000g 2000g and 3000g, and wet sand to remove all surface oxidation (start with lowest grit and gradually move up) then buff and polish and they'll look brand new I did my own and they came out great, I have 15 years body shop detailing experience follow this process and you can't go wrong. I'd recommend 3m perfectit 3000 blue polish, and pse correctional compound
So you didn't use anything to protect them after? Don't you need a permanent UV coating or something so they don't yellow back within a year.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They didn't turn yellow on me I've never had any turn after this process, the way too look at it is like buffing out a scratch or wet sanding to buff an exterior surface such as a painted panel, (on a painted surface you'd never use 800 but it's essential in headlight correction) as long as you go step by step you will not encounter any issues
Hmm okay, because yeah I get if you compound or polish paint you still leave clear coat behind but it was my understanding on the headlights after the wet sand and polishing you're completely removing the clear coat/uv protectant.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok well I gave you experienced advice from someone who has done this for years this is proper fix without buying new lenses,
Right but I'm still surprised after all that sanding the uv protection still remains.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Never said it did, the factory uv protection is what turns yellow wet sanding removes this old sun damaged uv protection (this is why it's called surface correction) after following the sanding process the heat from the polisher and compounds restores a factory finish without damaging the surface, plastic has similar properties when it comes to buffing and polishing and if done correctly you'll never worry about replacing lenses. When you buff and polish these lenses with the correct compound and polish you yourself have restored the uv protection In a sense, just like when you wax a car it's way of protection the paint from uv wind ect. Which I know is not permanent on a painted surface but with headlights it's more of a permanent correction. If it bothers you that bad that your worried about the uv protection still perform the sanding process and take them to your local body shop you trust and have them re clear the lenses. This will probably cost you around 300 to 350$ good luck
It's just if you are polishing how can it apply protection? Unless when you are done you still have a layer of UV protection not removed but headlights restoration is usually aggressive process and would strip that layer whole usually.

When I'll need to restore them I will just a 2k clear or something like that. I've got everything at home as I do detailing as well.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      09-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Getting back to the OP's question, you can sand, compound, buff and re-clear coat, but that might not fully fix the issue.

I notice OP drives a 335d which means he has LCI adaptive bi-xenon headlights with the little interior eyelid. So often on those lights, it's that little eyelid that begins to yellow causing the whole aesthetic of the light assembly to look aged. The best lens restoration job in the world will do nothing to address the interior yellowed eyelid. To say nothing of any interior cracking or crazing of the lenses.

If you don't want to buy whole new assemblies, you can buy just the replacement lenses (pricey, but still cheaper than the whole light), crack em open, sand and clear the eyelid (or repaint an opaque color, like silver), and reassemble with new lenses. It's also recommended to apply some sort of protective film to your new lenses.

If you do decide to sand and compound out the old lenses (which is probably the most cost-effective method to try first), you definitely need to apply a UV protectant afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #10
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
It's just if you are polishing how can it apply protection?
It doesn't. Ignore guy who claims that sunlight doesn't damage his plastic headlight lenses that have been stripped of UV protection for over year but also posts photographic evidence that he has the car garaged. LOL.

Keeping things out of the sun is the most effective form of UV protection mankind has ever devised.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      09-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
PURE340i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to restore the LCI front head lights so they sorta look... better without having to replace them. I tried a few things, but i still feel like its dull and can use better treatment.
Grab 800g 1000g 2000g and 3000g, and wet sand to remove all surface oxidation (start with lowest grit and gradually move up) then buff and polish and they'll look brand new I did my own and they came out great, I have 15 years body shop detailing experience follow this process and you can't go wrong. I'd recommend 3m perfectit 3000 blue polish, and pse correctional compound
I am going to try this today thank you so much.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
the polish after compounding acts similar to a uv protectant
Lemme get this straight...you've discovered a way to prevent ultraviolet light from penetrating a material (in this case, plastic) by...*looking down, checking notes*...polishing it?

I guess maybe we do need a step-by-step. You've obviously ascended to a much higher intellectual plane than the rest of us. (Though haven't yet mastered the ability of using the cutting-edge software of vBulletin without quadruple posting, I see.)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #13
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Quote:
They didn't turn yellow on me I've never had any turn after this process, the way too look at it is like buffing out a scratch or wet sanding to buff an exterior surface such as a painted panel, (on a painted surface you'd never use 800 but it's essential in headlight correction) as long as you go step by step you will not encounter any issues
Quote:
This is what they look like present day and it's been over a year since they were done
Quote:
Ok well I gave you experienced advice from someone who has done this for years this is proper fix without buying new lenses,
Quote:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words well.... there's what mine look like after a year good luck in your adventures and if you have any detailing questions I can answer them quite accurately
Quote:
Never said it did, the factory uv protection is what turns yellow wet sanding removes this old sun damaged uv protection (this is why it's called surface correction) after following the sanding process the heat from the polisher and compounds restores a factory finish without damaging the surface, plastic has similar properties when it comes to buffing and polishing and if done correctly you'll never worry about replacing lenses. When you buff and polish these lenses with the correct compound and polish you yourself have restored the uv protection In a sense, just like when you wax a car it's way of protection the paint from uv wind ect. Which I know is not permanent on a painted surface but with headlights it's more of a permanent correction. If it bothers you that bad that your worried about the uv protection still perform the sanding process and take them to your local body shop you trust and have them re clear the lenses. This will probably cost you around 300 to 350$ good luck
Quote:
Do you know anything about body work? I did not once say it provides uv protection a said the polish after compounding acts similar to a uv protectant I posted pics maybe I need to post some more with a step by step process since what I mentioned earlier is too much to comprehend
Quote:
You all read into things too much actually read the post, yes when you sand a headlight you loose the Uv protection after there buffed and polished you have to apply a wax or ceramic coat to protect the headlight which I've said many times now if you keep a good wax or ceramic coat on the headlights you will not have to worry about uv damage and I really dgaf about any negative opinions the proof is In the work
Dude i just re-read your posts and not once did you mention anything about applying a wax or ceramic coating up until now. And you did in fact imply that sanding, compounding and polishing does in fact restore factory UV protection.

Yes some waxes carry UV inhibitors, however as we all know waxes don't last long.

Regarding ceramic coating...well that's "coating" just like a UV coating that you sanded off. That is what everyone was saying to you, and you kept implying that it was not necessary up until your last post.

So lets agree that some sort of UV inhibiting coating is required on the lens once it is sanded.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 09-24-2019 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      09-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
And you your also wrong I said it restores it "IN A SENSE" meaning that it doesn't actually restore but it mimics the factory uv protection "MIMICS" not replaces but mimics that's what in a sense means it's phrase that's widely used to describe things that share a similarly but I guess I'm too dumb and you all are too smart so what do I know besides the fact that my headlights don't need any attention and apparently others do either way dgaf done with it
Dude it's just because you've forgotten to put a few words or the sentence wasn't wrote right because it makes it seem you say polishing and wetsanding restores UV protecetion on it's own, that's why we were all confused here.

Yeah if you wax is at most bi weekly-ish it will provide a certain level of UV protection and block yellowing but that's not what you wrote originally, the way you had wrote it meant to say polishing it and that's it will protect it.

And IMO you would want to apply something for longer lasting, something like it came with from the factory.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dude what ever people love to throw shade and hate and even with pics you all still decided to pop off like I said I don't care my headlights are a done deal and I'm not the one asking for tips on how to refurbish them either so this is now a dead conversation,
How are we throwing hate omg I hate when people reply like this. The guy literally makes valid points he's not wrong and you're not either.

He concurs wax will provide UV protection but does need to be re-applied over time more than other solutions. We're not saying your're bullshitting buddy, just that a long lasting maintenance free way would be best like clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

I think he was just keeping things simple for those that were question the process of sanding a headlight...

They make plastic costing to restore the UV protection but a proper polish and keeping them waxed will work well for years.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #17
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think that someone takes this all too literally.
      09-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My car has factory Xenon's as well but like I've said to everyone else that's had some BS to say Idgaf I've posted pics further explained things In better detail since some people didn't get it first time and I'm done with the BS my headlights are done and look great in my opinion and I'm not too lazy to do the necessary upkeep to keep them looking new
Okay. I appreciate that you DGAF (even though you seem to really GAF seeing as how you keep coming back to this thread over and over again to tell us how much you don't GAF.) But the important thing I was trying to explain to the original poster was that the bi-xenon adaptive units on the 335d have an eyelid piece (which isn't present on your headlights) that is INSIDE the lens. It is a separate piece of plastic on the inside that often yellows and fades IN ADDITION TO the outer lens. No amount of sanding, compounding and polishing on the outer lens will fix the interior eyelid if it has already yellowed.

If you need positive affirmation (and it sounds as if you do), here you go: Your headlights look good. Well done. Thank you for your helpful tips. We're all awestruck by your skill and wisdom.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      09-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #19
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

PattsE90, you’ve made quite the impression upon arriving here and it’s not a positive one. Perhaps if you take a seat, read a little and learn about the platform before diving back in.
      09-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #20
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Cracking up at this thread!!!

I tend not to follow advice from someone who lacks grammar and social skills. The poor guy drives an E92 yet states it's an E90; comes here and spews how knowledgeable he is and calls other members typical BMW douche's.

Yes, your headlights look fine; well done....but you obviously know dick about your car. You will make no friends here with this type of attitude.
Appreciate 2
tcphoto3535.50
Wolf 3352340.50
      09-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Looks like someone deleted a bunch of posts and threads. I noticed I had a couple of replies this morning but then the posts/threads were deleted. I think we hurt someone's feelings.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Looks like someone deleted a bunch of posts and threads. I noticed I had a couple of replies this morning but then the posts/threads were deleted. I think we hurt someone's feelings.
Nah I think he was banned lol. His +1 is gone as well.
Appreciate 0