E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Noticeable static/hiss in tweeters after amp install

08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
ibo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM 335xi e90 LCI M-Sport

Noticeable static/hiss in tweeters after amp install

Hey all, I could def. use some help here. Searched but nothing helps so far. I recently upgraded to VP's HIFI upgrade. Upon concluding the install, I noticed a subtle but noticeable hiss (white noise?) coming from the tweeters. The level of hiss does not increase with volume.

Here are the steps I took to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Change ground location from rear fender well to battery/chassis ground behind the rear bumper plastic trim.

- No change.

2. Adjust gain on amp (first tried ARC mini and then tried JL XD600/6).

- Hiss increases and decreases with gain adjustment but even at minimum gain, the hiss is still noticeable.

3. Unplug RCA plugs.

- Hiss is gone.

4. Plug in ipod with RCA adapter.

- Hiss is not present, bliss.

5. Changed the ARC mini back to stock HIFI amp.

- Hiss is gone. I have to point out that even before the upgrade, I could hear a very VERY quiet hiss through stock amp/tweeter if I put my ear one inch from the tweeter. I've always just thought that this was normal. With new speakers and stock amp, the same QUIET QUIET hiss is there, which is significantly more quiet than the new ARC mini.

At this point, I've troubleshooted with VP plenty of times via phone and he graciously sent me a JL XD600/6 with new harness to test with.

6. Replaced amp with new JL XD600/6.

- Same hiss as with the ARC mini amp.

At this point I'm kind of stumped. I can use any help or suggestions that yall may supply. I'm starting to wonder if my head unit is crazy noisy and I've read somewhere online about audio vs chassis ground which confused me quite a bit. Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks guys!
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Did you try another RCA cable?
Ideally a good quality one
      08-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Did you try another RCA cable?
Ideally a good quality one
Well, I've tried 2 different Technic harnesses from VP. Unfortunately both harnesses have the exact same issue. If so many people are using Technic's harness with no issues, I'm fairly sure that shouldn't be the culprit, especially not on two different harnesses.
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%

Last edited by ibo; 08-17-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibo View Post
Well, I've tried 2 different Technic harnesses from VP. Unfortunately both harnesses have the exact same issue. If so many people are using Technic's harness with no issues, I'm fairly sure that shouldn't be the culprit, especially not on two different harnesses.
But technics harness has female RCAs
I mean the male RCA cable that fits into those, that goes to the amp(s)
      08-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
But technics harness has female RCAs
I mean the male RCA cable that fits into those, that goes to the amp(s)
Thanks for clarifying this! I read in several places about the female RCA's, but the ones I received from VP are both male. I figured perhaps the newer harnesses have male ends, but now that you point this out, I suppose Ken may have cut the female heads and soldered the males on himself.

However, the current harnesses in my possession have a total length of RCA cable from the harness attachment point to the end of the RCA plugs that is only about 6-7 inches or so. I'm not sure how such a short run of cable can induce so much hiss.

Last edited by ibo; 08-17-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Sigh. Technic changed the harness in the last production run to male RCA. I thought they were getting a little longer but no such luck.

The stock amp is relatively flat from around 3K to 20K, so it *ought* to play any hiss present without attenuation:

But you also pulled the foam out from in front of the tweeters, yes? The stock tweeters would have louder hiss now as well, wouldn't they?

Did you say on the phone that one side was louder than the other? If you swap the RCA, does it move?

I'm worried that it's the HU too. Have not run into this before...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
But you also pulled the foam out from in front of the tweeters, yes? The stock tweeters would have louder hiss now as well, wouldn't they?
I didn't pull out any foam in front of the tweeters. Was I suppose to? I just removed the backing foam, removed the stock tweeter, installed the new tweeter, and then replaced the backing foam.

Quote:
Did you say on the phone that one side was louder than the other? If you swap the RCA, does it move?
Nope, I didn't say that one side was louder than the other. I just mentioned that without rear speakers for fill, I find myself panning the audio a little to the right side to balance the perception of left and right volume when sitting in the driver's seat (left side speakers are closer to the driver, thus seem louder). If I moved my head to in between the driver and the passenger seat, I wouldn't have to pan the audio.

Quote:
I'm worried that it's the HU too. Have not run into this before...
I really hope it isn't, but if it is indeed the front head unit wouldn't the new tweeters hiss with the OEM amp as well?

Last edited by ibo; 08-18-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Taking the foam sheet out can help with detail.

Just installed this exact system twice this week, but with Morel Dotechs instead of Virtus (from the last batch they had). No hiss.

The iPod into the amp(s) sounds fine, so it's not the Virtus tweeter or crossover set up wrong.

Any difference from different sources?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Taking the foam sheet out can help with detail.

Just installed this exact system twice this week, but with Morel Dotechs instead of Virtus (from the last batch they had). No hiss.

The iPod into the amp(s) sounds fine, so it's not the Virtus tweeter or crossover set up wrong.

Any difference from different sources?
No difference. I specifically tested all the sources possible (CIC hard drive, radio, ipod, DVD) with the volume all the way down to 0 or just muted. The same hiss is present.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
sorry about your hiss, and sorry about this
but how do I tighten this speaker directly next to side view mirror, it seems a little loose
Attached Images

Last edited by udm328i; 08-18-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

I've noticed that my system also has a VERY SLIGHT amount of tweeter hiss when the car is powered on.

BUT ... with the car running, there's enough ambient noise that the hiss is undetectable, so I don't feel that it's a problem at all (for me). I can't hear the hiss if idling in the garage, so you can bet that on the road it's a non-issue as well.

On my system, the hiss is definitely proportional to the gain, but I've got the gains rather low, so that resolves that issue. (The system will still get uncomfortably loud with the gains set low)

Is your hiss bad enough to hear it if the car's running? Or are you checking it with the car powered up but not running?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying this! I read in several places about the female RCA's, but the ones I received from VP are both male. I figured perhaps the newer harnesses have male ends, but now that you point this out, I suppose Ken may have cut the female heads and soldered the males on himself.

However, the current harnesses in my possession have a total length of RCA cable from the harness attachment point to the end of the RCA plugs that is only about 6-7 inches or so. I'm not sure how such a short run of cable can induce so much hiss.
The last version of the HiFi harness has male ends as it is now dedicated to XD600/6 installs in the OEM amp location due to most customer requests.

If according to you there was a "QUIET, QUIET" hiss when the OEM amp was plugged in then you will have an increase of such hiss when a more powerful aftermarket amp is plugged in if the chassis ground is used. That is what you are having now, apparently.

My suggestion is to remove the OEM HU, unplug the Quadralock in the back, and take a close look at pin 12 (ground). Make sure that the radio pins and the Quadralock pins are having a solid contact without any wiggling.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
JohanW
Rep
Drives: E91 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I've noticed that my system also has a VERY SLIGHT amount of tweeter hiss when the car is powered on.

BUT ... with the car running, there's enough ambient noise that the hiss is undetectable, so I don't feel that it's a problem at all (for me). I can't hear the hiss if idling in the garage, so you can bet that on the road it's a non-issue as well.

On my system, the hiss is definitely proportional to the gain, but I've got the gains rather low, so that resolves that issue. (The system will still get uncomfortably loud with the gains set low)

Is your hiss bad enough to hear it if the car's running? Or are you checking it with the car powered up but not running?
I have the same problem as you. Not noticeable when the engine is running and proportional to the amp gain. Increasing the volume of the head unit doesn't increase to volume of the noise except when the HU volume is very near its max.

If the volume of the HU is zero there will be no noise at all but it's enough to increase the volume one click for the noise to appear.

No noise if a smart phone is connected directly to the amp.

I have the relay from technics harness very close to my rca-cables. Could the relay cause any interference?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I'm doing the latter, which makes any sort of hiss much more apparent. Like you said, when the car is running, with engine and road noise, the hissing pretty much gets drowned out. But with the ignition off, it's a slap in the face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If according to you there was a "QUIET, QUIET" hiss when the OEM amp was plugged in then you will have an increase of such hiss when a more powerful aftermarket amp is plugged in if the chassis ground is used. That is what you are having now, apparently.

My suggestion is to remove the OEM HU, unplug the Quadralock in the back, and take a close look at pin 12 (ground). Make sure that the radio pins and the Quadralock pins are having a solid contact without any wiggling.
Thanks for chiming in. I was worried I'd have to remove the HU. Sigh...I guess I'll have to tackle that when I have the time, just to be completely sure. How hard is this to do?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone know where the HIFI head unit is grounded? I know of two audio ground points, one on the rear of the driver rear fender well and one on the front of the same fender well.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Does anyone know where the HIFI head unit is grounded? I know of two audio ground points, one on the rear of the driver rear fender well and one on the front of the same fender well.
I have a base HU that is grounded back at the fenderwell so I suspect HiFi is also grounded there. Do you have a brown cable that says audio running from the front of the car to the fwd part of the fenderwell ground point?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
JohanW
Rep
Drives: E91 2006

If the noise are present over the complete frequency band it doesn't sound like a ground loop problem (correct me if I'm wrong).
If you have a grounding problem it's very common that the pitch change with the engine rpm.

There are several threads about the same issue but I haven't read one with a solution.

I don't know if spectrum analyzer for a smart phone could be used to find out the fourier transform of the noise.
I think I will try that to know if it's white noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanW View Post
I have the relay from technics harness very close to my rca-cables. Could the relay cause any interference?
Just FYI, I tested both harnesses in my possession, one with the relay and one without. While the relay itself produces a single "click" sound when the remote signal is sent from the head unit (expected, as it is a relay), I did not hear any interference caused by it's inclusion nor proximity from the RCA's.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #19
balu4k
Rep
Drives: 2009 328 XI Coupe

Hi, Any solutions to this hissing problem. I have the same exact problem after the JL xd600/6 install, i hear the noticeably hiss from my mids even when the HU is off ( ignition on ) or even when HU is playing CD at volume zero. I don't hear the Hiss if i disconnect the RCA's. Mine is HIFI system on E92 2009 model. I even hear the hiss even after lowering the input gain, but the hiss sound is little less but still noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

No hiss on my JL its grounded on the battery.

No hiss on my JL its grounded on the battery.
04 wire all the way to the battery lugs . Theoretically
it shouldn't make a difference as long as you have a low resistance
ground but my kit came that way(equal length power and ground) and it works. I didn't here anything when I was running the stock speakers alone
on it either. Gains are not set high on the Morels and are zero on the rear stock speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
f_veloso
Registered
Rep
Drives: E87

I know this thread is old but as anyone been able to solve this problem ? I have the alpine retrofit kit on an E87 with the m-ask unit SA606 and I have this hiss from the speakers driven by the alpine amp even with the head unit coded to hifi alpine, which supposedly slightly decrease the gain and de-EQ the head unit signal. I know the problem resides in the head unit signal because my rear speakers also had that same hiss (although in a much lower level, I had to put my ear close to the speaker to hear the hiss)when the car was coded to stereo, know that is coded to hifi alpine I canīt hear the hiss from the rear speakers but I still can hear the hiss from the speakers driven by the alpine amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_veloso View Post
I know this thread is old but as anyone been able to solve this problem ? I have the alpine retrofit kit on an E87 with the m-ask unit SA606 and I have this hiss from the speakers driven by the alpine amp even with the head unit coded to hifi alpine, which supposedly slightly decrease the gain and de-EQ the head unit signal. I know the problem resides in the head unit signal because my rear speakers also had that same hiss (although in a much lower level, I had to put my ear close to the speaker to hear the hiss)when the car was coded to stereo, know that is coded to hifi alpine I canīt hear the hiss from the rear speakers but I still can hear the hiss from the speakers driven by the alpine amp.
A lot of times the problem results from incorrectly set gains. Try lowering your gains, they should be set such that at max head unit volume (before clipping) the volume of the music is just as loud as you ever want to have it, or the output of the amp reaches the maximum wattage of your speakers, whichever comes first.