E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hello boys

10-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #67
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
beemerbird Quote:

The main obvious difference is where in the rev range that the power comes in & how it is delivered. The 335d power & torque delivery seems almost instantaneous whereas the 330i, as you know, wakes up @ 2,500 rpm. Not a problem just different. My 330i M was also auto (personal preference), and there is a noticeable difference between the auto boxes on the respective cars. I have read that the 335d is geared differently compared to an auto box on the petrol engine. To me the petrol engine would invariably always kick down even when quite high up the rev range, but the diesel won't. Doesn't rev as high/doesn't need to? TBH the diesel just keeps pulling & pulling & you're hitting 3 figure speeds at an alarming rate - I'm assuming it will become faster with more miles on the clock!

As for handling, the 335d in SE guise with the std. sports suspension is not quite as taut on the twisty stuff as the M sport & whereas some journalists have quoted the M sport as being jittery on bumpy surfaces, I would argue that maybe partly true, however in my humble opinion this characteristic of the car never felt unnerving & the 335d feels that bit more 'soggy' at the rear end. This of course could all be me doing things wrong - I'm slowly getting the hang of keeping the power on through tighter bends, but you've got to temper your right foot alot more as that torque is constantly there waiting to bite you in the bum! Somedays I wish I'd got another M sport but in an E92 but then cost is always a factor. The 335d engine makes up for any niggling doubts on this though. Perhaps a good compromise would be E92 330d M sport?
Nicely put together Ms.Beemer.

When I was considering changing from my E46 330D M Sport,I drove the 330i just really to see how it compared to the diesel,yes it sounded lovely, but I thought it lacked power considerably in comparison.
This of course could be down to the remap on the 330D, but it (330i) did very little for me,which is why I went with the 335D.

I'm currently driving a 330D saloon (in the abscence of the beast) in it's barest spec,which is quite fun, but still lacks the punch of my old E46 coupe,which reminds me,I must ring Mr.Charisma at 'Cash & Dash' & see if my beast has recovered from it's hissy fit & wants to come out to play!............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........there will be tears before bedtime if it's not fixed!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 06:15 AM   #68
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Hi Beemer bird and welcome

Ignore all the perverts, sickos (and Fandangos), on this site, some of us are civilized and...oh hang on a minute, I've just remembered my score on the How Dirty... thread!
Hi RockIt & thanks for the welcome. Yeah that thread from Hotcoupe is a good one! My neice & her boyfriend have just bought a house not that far from you, just a few miles south west. Went through the other weekend & it is a good 70 miles from us - it's easy to forget how big our County is.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 06:25 AM   #69
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
The main obvious difference is where in the rev range that the power comes in & how it is delivered. The 335d power & torque delivery seems almost instantaneous whereas the 330i, as you know, wakes up @ 2,500 rpm. Not a problem just different. My 330i M was also auto (personal preference), and there is a noticeable difference between the auto boxes on the respective cars.
Interesting. I definitely don't want an auto and for me that's the problem with the 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
When I was considering changing from my E46 330D M Sport,I drove the 330i just really to see how it compared to the diesel,yes it sounded lovely, but I thought it lacked power considerably in comparison.
With the 330i you have to be in the right gear. When I drove mine initially it felt slower than my 530d. This isn't the case though, you just need to adjust your driving style, if you want the power you need to rev high.

This is where the NA petrol models lose out to the diesels, because no-one cruises along at 4000rpm (which is where the 330i comes alive) and this means that a quick change down is often needed to accelerate away quickly.

Because I don't pay for petrol directly and I enjoy driving the car in the sense of using the gears, the 330i is definitely my preference.

Still need to drive the 335i / 335d though. It seems to me that they are more closely matched than 330i / 330d because they are both turbocharged.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #70
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nicely put together Ms.Beemer.

This of course could be down to the remap on the 330D, but it (330i) did very little for me,which is why I went with the 335D.

I'm currently driving a 330D saloon (in the abscence of the beast) in it's barest spec,which is quite fun, but still lacks the punch of my old E46 coupe,which reminds me,I must ring Mr.Charisma at 'Cash & Dash' & see if my beast has recovered from it's hissy fit & wants to come out to play!............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........there will be tears before bedtime if it's not fixed!
Thanks for that Hotcoupe - know what you mean about the 330i, lovely engine etc. but to be honest I think the power delivery of a diesel suits my driving style more. 'Squirt & go' so to speak! I always felt that I need to get from A-B as quickly as possible in the M sport - always urging you to get your finger out. This inevitably led to me annoying other drivers - lame excuse blaming the car I know!

I really do hope that your new car is sorted. The 'Cash & Dash' (lovely saying) brigade should be pulling out all the stops on this one & dishing out some suitable grovelling. If it's not sorted - try & have pleasant thoughts before bedtime!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #71
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
beemerbird Quote:
Thanks for that Hotcoupe - know what you mean about the 330i, lovely engine etc. but to be honest I think the power delivery of a diesel suits my driving style more. 'Squirt & go' so to speak! I always felt that I need to get from A-B as quickly as possible in the M sport - always urging you to get your finger out. This inevitably led to me annoying other drivers - lame excuse blaming the car I know!

I really do hope that your new car is sorted. The 'Cash & Dash' (lovely saying) brigade should be pulling out all the stops on this one & dishing out some suitable grovelling. If it's not sorted - try & have pleasant thoughts before bedtime!!
Wow, what a post,2 key phrases,one in each paragraph,tell me Ms.Beemer,are you a writer for a top shelf type of magazine perchance?

In fact re-reading your original post I can see several more,why am I reading so many innuendo's in a post about cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #72
OriginalFrak
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I have a few...

Garage List
Welcome to the forums bird, nice car and some interesting views on the 330i.

It was a shock to having to go back to gear changing from the X5 - but now I have - the noise from the exhaust from 4000rpm (and the inlet manifold) more than makes up for it

PS - sorry not been posting much ...work sucks and will continue to suck until at least 5th November.
      10-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #73
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
In fact re-reading your original post I can see several more,why am I reading so many innuendo's in a post about cars?
Cos you're a pervert? Obsessed? Related to the Fandango?

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #74
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, what a post,2 key phrases,one in each paragraph,tell me Ms.Beemer,are you a writer for a top shelf type of magazine perchance?

No defo. not any kind of writer unless you include boring legal crap to solicitors.

As for the innudendo's - well one can take it one of two ways. Choose to read it as such or let it whoosh over one's head. Personally I much prefer the former . Great minds etc.!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #75
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Cos you're a pervert? Obsessed? Related to the Fandango?
Does that mean I am as well then?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #76
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFrak View Post
Welcome to the forums bird, nice car and some interesting views on the 330i.

It was a shock to having to go back to gear changing from the X5 - but now I have - the noise from the exhaust from 4000rpm (and the inlet manifold) more than makes up for it

PS - sorry not been posting much ...work sucks and will continue to suck until at least 5th November.
Thanks for the welcome. Can't argue with you re. the noise 4,000 rpm upwards. I can still hear it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #77
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=needforspeed;1544534]Interesting. I definitely don't want an auto and for me that's the problem with the 335d.

Any particular reason against an auto. I am assuming that you have driven any of the said cars in auto guise?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #78
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I always hated slushboxes until I had a go in the 335.

The ZF gearbox is a real gem. Flip it into paddles and let the fun commence.

The changes are amazingly quick and smooth and the car just keeps on pulling (just like I used to before I got old).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #79
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post

The changes are amazingly quick and smooth and the car just keeps on pulling (just like I used to before I got old).
your so right Evil. seamless changes with the paddles and pulls so hard all the way
      10-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #80
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Definately agree re the ZF box. My little digits can't quite change up with the paddles without moving my hand(s) a bit.

What do you class as old?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #81
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

MCMLXVIII.

Thats how old!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #82
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
MCMLXVIII.

Thats how old!!!!
Quite a youngster really then Life doesn’t begin until next year
btw: I hate to miss out on all this fun so I thought I'd better say Hi and welcome beemerbird
      10-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #83
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Any particular reason against an auto. I am assuming that you have driven any of the said cars in auto guise?
I've not driven the 335i or 335d yet. I've deliberately held of because I don't want to tempt myself.

My last car was a 530d, which was my first automatic.

I did a couple of race days last year and found that I really missed the control and involvement of a 'proper' manual gearbox.

It may sound silly, but outright speed isn't the point, you can't use it on the road anyway. What I want is engagement and a little bit of fun. I think that there is some enjoyment to be had from changing gear well and quickly with a manual, which is lost when the car does it for you, either with paddle shifts, DSG or full auto.

Personally, even if the diesels were quicker (which they probably are in many situations on road) and the auto's could change better (which they probably can in their latest version), I would still want to red to 7000rpm and change gear myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #84
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If everyone thought that way then nothing would ever develop.

'I like the control of two leather reigns and a well bred carthorse - these new fangled motorcars will never work' etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #85
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If everyone thought that way then nothing would ever develop.

'I like the control of two leather reigns and a well bred carthorse - these new fangled motorcars will never work' etc etc.
I see your point, but it's not about technology.

I think this is more of an enthusiast issue. As an analogy, you can buy fantastic fully automatic 'bean to cup' coffee machines these days which make cup after cup of consistently high quality espresso.

However, there will always be enthusiasts out there prepared to spend as much or more money on traditional manual machines, because they enjoy the process of making coffee.

In the same way, I can download any music I like from the internet. Yet I enjoy spending my time learning how to play tunes on my guitar. I can't play it as well as the professionals, but I enjoy the process.

When it comes to driving I enjoy the process of changing gear and find that it makes the driving experience more involving.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #86
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
i choose when i change gear NFS, just with paddles instead of a stick, no chance of missing a gear either
      10-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #87
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
i choose when i change gear NFS, just with paddles instead of a stick, no chance of missing a gear either
That's not the point I'm making.

I agree that you have some control over the timing of the gear change, but it's limited. If the car thinks you need to change gear because you are going to stall or hit the rev limiter then it will do it for you.

When it comes to changing gear, you effectively press a button.

In a manual car this is much more involved and although auto's are 'labour saving' my point is that I actually enjoy co-ordinating the clutch and gearstick operation and challenging myself to change smoothly and quickly. It's actually fun and I don't want to give that up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #88
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
That's not the point I'm making.

I agree that you have some control over the timing of the gear change, but it's limited. If the car thinks you need to change gear because you are going to stall or hit the rev limiter then it will do it for you.

When it comes to changing gear, you effectively press a button.

In a manual car this is much more involved and although auto's are 'labour saving' my point is that I actually enjoy co-ordinating the clutch and gearstick operation and challenging myself to change smoothly and quickly. It's actually fun and I don't want to give that up.
so your admitting to enjoying having a hard stick in your hand and playing with it?