E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bluetooth phone pairing on 2008 E92, no i-drive

10-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Bluetooth phone pairing on 2008 E92, no i-drive

I am getting settled in to a new-to-me 335xi, without i-drive, but I'm having difficulty pairing up my phone. The prior owner says he never paired his phone, and there seem to be a few contradictory "how-to's" on this topic, so I'm looking for help.

The car has the "talking head" and "phone" buttons on the steering wheel. There is also a phone button on the radio to the lower right corner. In this video on YouTube, the guy pairs his phone by just pressing down the phone button, and some prompts to show up on the radio display. I tried and that did not happen.

The first question: if I have those phone buttons, does it mean that my car has the bluetooth hardware ... sorry I don't know the proper term, but I come across posts that suggest some cars do not have an electronic module or something that was optional equipment. If not all cars with the phone button have that module, where do I look to verify whether or not this particular car has it? I already checked and there is no USB in the center console for audio, just a 3.5mm jack, so I guess that means no MULF module, but possibly a TCU module?

Thanks

Last edited by gde061; 10-24-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0