E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > cic constantly reboots after nav update

02-06-2021, 04:30 AM   #23
propshaft1
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series

Please can you help? I'm looking for an idiots guide to updating cic firmware... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Pop the hdd out and see if the cic still reboots.

I suspect that the hdd is corrupted in some way, or the cic firmware, has glitched (it does that sometimes).

I would not recommend deleting files from the cic using FTP. not un less you know what they are.

You can delete the map software from the cic using tool32.

With tool32 it is "steuern_navi_map" and arg. "0x01",

remember you will have no maps so will have to reupload (dont use the same USB) map data.

You might want to update the cic to the latest firmware.

Id also recomend deleted the stored music too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #24
alma359
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Final update.. I updated with usb again which took only a couple seconds and after the cic restarted I got satellite images working. Now everything is working fine. I will make a final backup now and store it so that I have a fully working backup if the drive fails in the future. Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #25
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Wow excellent!!!

So what did you delete and on which partition?

Also which QNX image did you use? Link?

All of this will be helpful to others with the same problem.

Great work!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #26
opjose
Major
Rep

Propshaft1

This is as close as you are going to get to that...

CIC/NBT FSC Generator - Windows/Linux/OSX https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453464
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #27
alma359
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Wow excellent!!!

So what did you delete and on which partition?

Also which QNX image did you use? Link?

All of this will be helpful to others with the same problem.

Great work!
I deleted everything from pkgdb folder which is located in the maps partition (/dev/hd10t77) and then copied non corrupt files over by using the in qnx included file manager. I used QNX 6.4.0 here is the link http://www.qnx.com/download/feature....rogramid=18776. This image can be booted up directly without installing by pressing F2. I used VMware because I could not get the hard drive to show up in qnx using VirtualBox. The cic hard drive can be attached while the VM is booting up. Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future and if someone needs a working CIC Image with 2021-1 East Europe maps PM me, I uploaded my image to google drive, but it also has all my music collection in it.

Also, it should be possible to achieve all this without a VM and without removing the hard drive! The CIC can be put into rescue mode via tool32 and then by using a usb to ethernet adapter you can telnet into it, mount the maps partition, and delete the corrupted files from /pkgdb. Then it should be possible to mount a smb server running from your computer via fs-cifs and copy the files over with cp... I have not tried that but I believe it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #28
opjose
Major
Rep

This should be part of a reference or sticky... good find!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 03:35 AM   #29
propshaft1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
This should be part of a reference or sticky... good find!
For reference, was it a bad flash? Curupt map? Or error during flashing procedure?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #30
opjose
Major
Rep

He had a corrupt USB upload to the hard drive.

The CIC recognized the files enough to try to decompress and install them, it could not so it ended up in a reboot loop.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #31
propshaft1
Rep

Sorry, another question:

Anyone speculate if this firmware version on my 2009 CIC would be suitable for a 2021 map?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #32
opjose
Major
Rep

That is the installed map version not the firmware version.

Btw: Newer EU maps were divided into east and west.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #33
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
You need to go into NCS Expert and read ECU in order to show the version of CIC firmware you have.

I think if you are able to put in 7 digit zip codes you are able to update maps via USB, something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 02:19 AM   #34
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

You can use INPA and read the UIF that will tell you what version your cic is running.

To update the map you need.

A: a 32gb fat32 formatted USB drive.
B: the right MAP image for your area.
C: a FSC code for the map update.

A is easy (ebay),
B is easy (torrent)
C is easy, download the 1b file from your cic (search the internet to know who to do this).

once you have the 1b you can generate you own FSC code (again search the internet to get the files).

then its just a case of inserting the USB in the glovebox usb port and keying in the FSC code to start the update.

If you need to update the firmware then you need an icom A and icom B, you need a working ediabas install and a working winkfp install with the correct datum files.

Updates must be done in the correct order 63,62 and A0, and takes about 2 hours.

Do not try the update with a d-can lead, it will brick the cic.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #35
propshaft1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
You can use INPA and read the UIF that will tell you what version your cic is running.

To update the map you need.

A: a 32gb fat32 formatted USB drive.
B: the right MAP image for your area.
C: a FSC code for the map update.

A is easy (ebay),
B is easy (torrent)
C is easy, download the 1b file from your cic (search the internet to know who to do this).

once you have the 1b you can generate you own FSC code (again search the internet to get the files).

then its just a case of inserting the USB in the glovebox usb port and keying in the FSC code to start the update.

If you need to update the firmware then you need an icom A and icom B, you need a working ediabas install and a working winkfp install with the correct datum files.

Updates must be done in the correct order 63,62 and A0, and takes about 2 hours.

Do not try the update with a d-can lead, it will brick the cic.

Thanks for this, I appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #36
sono0312
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma359 View Post
I deleted everything from pkgdb folder which is located in the maps partition (/dev/hd10t77) and then copied non corrupt files over by using the in qnx included file manager. I used QNX 6.4.0 here is the link http://www.qnx.com/download/feature....rogramid=18776. This image can be booted up directly without installing by pressing F2. I used VMware because I could not get the hard drive to show up in qnx using VirtualBox. The cic hard drive can be attached while the VM is booting up. Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future and if someone needs a working CIC Image with 2021-1 East Europe maps PM me, I uploaded my image to google drive, but it also has all my music collection in it.

Also, it should be possible to achieve all this without a VM and without removing the hard drive! The CIC can be put into rescue mode via tool32 and then by using a usb to ethernet adapter you can telnet into it, mount the maps partition, and delete the corrupted files from /pkgdb. Then it should be possible to mount a smb server running from your computer via fs-cifs and copy the files over with cp... I have not tried that but I believe it is possible.
It is very useful info. thankyou for that. if a set of data such as a map can be swapped o partition basis, the map update can be quicker by using the one already made by someone.
I am not familiar with the server handling with a software. But I used to have a FTP file manager and telenet so on.. do you think it is not difficult?
Appreciate 0