E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen to Bixenon Clarification

02-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Halogen to Bixenon Clarification

Edit: I did a lot more reading and I think I answered my main questions below. Specifically that adding the Xenon option to the VO basically just bypasses the warm low beam check allowing the use of Xenon lights without triggering a bulb failure warning. It seems that can be manually coded out without modifying the VO. I'm still curious about the DRL question.
---

I have a 2006 325i with halogen lights (with pitted lenses) and recently acquired a pair of OEM LCI bixenon lights. These are the adaptive lights however I don't plan to use that feature, nor do I plan to use the leveling feature since I don't have the sensor, the headlight switch, or the appropriate footwell module to be able to support that.

I've read nearly all the threads covering this topic but still have a few questions which aren't clearly answered. Especially since most of the conversion questions are about going from pre-LCI halogen to pre-LCI xenon, or pre-LCI halogen to aftermarket (non-OEM) xenons.

Per this thread, I can add the extra ground needed and splice the wire that normally enables the inner halogen high beams to also trigger the projector shutter. But this will apparently enable both the inner halogens and the xenon shutter whenever using the 'pass to flash' or pulling back to enable high beams. I'm OK with this. But my car currently uses the inner halogens as DRLs. I have this disabled via iDrive settings, but I can see this possibly being an issue if DRLs were enabled since that lower voltage for DRLs would also be applied to the shutter in the Xenon projector. (Xenon lights wouldn't be on with the DRLs enabled, not sure what the low voltage normally applied for DRLs would do to the shutter actuator).

This post about Xenon coding says to code the VO for Xenon lights by adding $522. What exactly does this accomplish? That guide also says to code out the bulb checks in addition to adding the xenon option to the VO. As far as I can tell adding that to the VO basically bypasses the cold check on the xenon bulbs (but still does the warm check), and it enables the correct DRL and high beam functions for the OEM xenon headlight setup. My wiring harness doesn't have separate wires for the inner H7 halogens and the high beam shutter. I'd be splicing the H7 high beam wire to trigger the shutter in the projector as indicated in the first linked post, then code out all the bulb checks manually without modifying the VO. So it's still not a true OEM Xenon conversion unless I added the proper wires to the harness.

Can I just skip the VO modification, modify my existing harness to add the ground and splice the high beam wire, and then code out the cold headlight bulb checks?

Last edited by lowrydr310; 02-10-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0