E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Consensus: Is the AC Pulley replaceable?

02-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
e90 Second Incarnate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Consensus: Is the AC Pulley replaceable?

Hi All,

I recently had a clicking noise coming from the AC Compressor. As the motor runs, the AC pulley appears to move back and forth, each time making the click sound.

For the time being, I have bypassed the AC Compressor with the shorter belt. The compressor seems to spin just fine, definitely not seized.

On Ebay today, I found a seller that is selling a reman "pulley/clutch" unit, even though I was under the impression from researching here that the pulley assembly was not replaceable. It appears to be an insulated two piece pulley, with a rubber "guibo" in between.

Any experiences with having the pulley go bad and being able to replace that?

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Yes it is. Although you’re better off buying a used compressor on eBay. The quality of the bearings I found on eBay or all over the internet are trash. I ended up doing the bearing 3 times before I just bought a new compressor.

By new compressor, I mean I bought a used OEM one on eBay for $100 with 40k miles on it.

Last edited by trb1; 02-20-2020 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
e90 Second Incarnate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I did think the route of a used compressor, and just swap pulleys, until I know I need a different compressor. I'm trying to avoid the hassle of opening up the AC system, such as taking to a mechanic to evacuate, the risk of moisture getting inside the lines during the swap, the recharging of the system, etc.

Can you briefly explain how you removed the pulley? Were you able to do it with the compressor mounted, or did you have to pull it?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #4
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
There is a large diameter, thin wall bearing (usually JAP made) that is hard to find in oem quality... plus you need C-clip pliers, not sure if you could get it off "in situ"...
      02-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Nope. You’ll have to pull the compressor. It’s a total bitch in the car. There’s a C clip that you have to remove, you can’t spin the compressor shaft out without locking the pulley in place in a vice or buying the special tool (which will need a drill), and you’ll have to tap the old pulley off. Plus. I couldn’t find a pulley that was the correct size, so I ended up using new bearings and having to press them in to the old pulley. It’s a giant shit show. Just pay someone for an AC recharge, but have them evacuate, go swap compressors, then have them fill it back up.
Appreciate 0