E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Special Active Dampers Anyone?

08-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #89
dankatz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't think you can go with 16" on the 335 - 17" is minimum due to the size of the brakes. In Boston we have a ton of pot holes and terrible roads. I am definitely NOT looking for a camry soft ride. I have a 2011 Odyssey to schlep the kids and that is way too soft. My wife traded in her GTI to a 2019 Golf Alltrack SEL with manual (beautiful green/brown colors) and it rides a little too soft, though better than the Japanese cars I've had She has 18" wheels for the summer and 16" for the winter. We chipped it to have it be on par with the previous GTI. I am looking for a firm, but not jarring suspension and no pothole explosions. Our previous car, the 2012 GTI with the Autobahn package (18" wheels) was perfect. Firm, but not bad. I'm looking to get close to that in comfort. The BMW handles better than the GTI. We were looking at a new GTI and appreciated the DCC for the option to soften the ride in town and stiffen it outside. It actually works. In any case, I just have to decide to I do the suspension first or o I just spend the chunk of money to do suspension and new tires... eyeing these on tirerack
Michelin PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 - SIZE: 225/45ZR17
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:23 PM   #90
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't think you can go with 16" on the 335 - 17" is minimum due to the size of the brakes. In Boston we have a ton of pot holes and terrible roads. I am definitely NOT looking for a camry soft ride. I have a 2011 Odyssey to schlep the kids and that is way too soft. My wife traded in her GTI to a 2019 Golf Alltrack SEL with manual (beautiful green/brown colors) and it rides a little too soft, though better than the Japanese cars I've had She has 18" wheels for the summer and 16" for the winter. We chipped it to have it be on par with the previous GTI. I am looking for a firm, but not jarring suspension and no pothole explosions. Our previous car, the 2012 GTI with the Autobahn package (18" wheels) was perfect. Firm, but not bad. I'm looking to get close to that in comfort. The BMW handles better than the GTI. We were looking at a new GTI and appreciated the DCC for the option to soften the ride in town and stiffen it outside. It actually works. In any case, I just have to decide to I do the suspension first or o I just spend the chunk of money to do suspension and new tires... eyeing these on tirerack
I’m not sure how helpful I can be for you. The best way I would describe my experience with the Special Actives is that in comparison with the original stock setup is that its almost the same maybe slightly less road noise and tire noise on rough roads. Their goal with those shocks is to actually improve the handling a bit and yet improve the comfort too. I think They achieved that but it is not a huge difference. If your existing stunts and shocks a blown then you will see a bigger difference obviously. My car still jars when I hit man holes on the street still. I thought the Special Actives would get rid of that and it just has not.

I also owned and 535i w/sport package for a couple years and always thought that vehicle was a bit too big for me. I wanted a 3 series because I thought it would just be a smaller version of the same vehicle. It is not. The 5 series was so much more composed and on the freeway it just felt like 65k car. The 3 series feels like a cheaply made vehicle in comparison. They were both alpine white too but boy was there a big difference in paint quality. Yeah if the 3 series had more of the characteristics of the 5 series I would have been much happier.

Yeah I would take my time if I were you and just make sure you’re not chasing something that is not possible.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 03:58 AM   #91
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

I love my actives they are hands down the best especially for the money
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #92
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

These made a huge difference on my xi. I'd say it made it feel similar to a stock F30 with RFT on both cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #93
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
you are correct, I am using factory 17" wheels from a 328i. I had a set of aftermarket 17s from an older M3 and those would not clear the brakes only some 17s will, ones without a lot of drop in the rim. Also running 245s all around to try to get some more sidewall under the car.

Looking at these struts, for similar reasons - I live near DC and the roads are bombed out, my suspension is shot at 150K miles, this would be for an E92 just going to keep stock springs (I believe these are sport suspension though because it's a US market E92) thoughts/experiences?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:09 AM   #94
jonincolorado
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN54 View Post
i know this is new product, has anyone tried to install on their E9x and how does it perform?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...num=8245-1221M
i installed the previous generation fsd's on my 06 e91 rears and like them a great deal. the problem: i didn't have the expertise/time/money to buy/install the fronts. so, laughably, i'm driving around with the original (yes, 221,000 miles) sachs on the fronts and the konis on the rears. i think if i were going for a handling product, i might try first the bilsteins. if ride is more critical, i think that these konis are pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:30 PM   #95
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Does anyone have any feedback on these on a RWD non-sport car? Having trouble finding out if they pair well with the original springs on a car with the regular non-sport suspension and would be worth the additional expense over Sachs/Bilstein B4s.
      11-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #96
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

They're fine on rwd SE cars. Whether they'd be an improvement over the others, I have no idea
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      05-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #97
Mike K
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Due to the current un-availabilty of Bilstein B4s for my 2011 238i e91, and not wanting to go with Sachs shocks, I'm considering these Koni 8245 1094 Special Active rear shocks.

Any e91 folks running these and how do they compare with B4s I'm wondering?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #98
soliloquy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi

I have them on my 2006 330xi (with stock springs and non run flats).

They are NOT Camry soft ride.

At low speeds driving around town, they are definitely firmer than stock. You will feel it.

So any softening over pot holes is offset by how firm these are at lower speeds.

The compression and rebound are totally different than stock.

At 40mph and above is the optimal speed for these shocks.

At highway speeds, the car is very comfortable now, and it just wants to go.

I would get these if you do a lot of highway driving or commuting.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:41 AM   #99
VonBimmer
His Vön:ness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I can say with around 88% accuracy, our friend Salzamani is a bit of a nut. Dont get me wrong, top each is own, but this is the first time in my 10+ years of owning and modding the e9X platform, that I have witnessed such sheer determination to place the proverbial pillow over the head of the 335i, and smother it into submission!

The BMW 3 Series has its DNA in Rally Racing. Comfort has always given way to performance to a certain extent. I too have been considering this Koni set-up. As of now I'm running stock sport Billstein's with H&R Sport springs on staggered 19' style 220M's with Michelin PS4's.
c
My advice to anyone is to go with the upgraded tires first. The PS4's are going to maker the biggest difference guaranteed. My friend races BMW's and that was his advice, and it was spot on.

Also for those looking to lower their ride, just know it's going to rapidly turn into another money pit, like so many things on the car. I am happy with the appearance, but until I upgraded to Dinan camber plates. Turner adjustable toe links and tie rod ends, and M3 control arms, did I feel as if I was gaining some ground on the mod.

Granted I am looking for a performance street DD with NVD as a secondary concern.

Wagner Evo1 FMIC, VRSF Catless DP, MHD Stage 2 Tune, VRSF Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, H&R Sport Springs w/Michelin PS4's
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:20 AM   #100
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

No; the e9x does not have rally racing in its DNA. Move along.
Appreciate 0