Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Disadvantages of square setup 18x8

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-15-2023, 09:57 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Disadvantages of square setup 18x8

I just got a pre-LCI E93 and it has staggered wheels. The rears have some curb rash and chipping of the finish, and I noticed that one of them had two cracks on the inside edge that were welded. I'm not sure how well they were welded/repaired so I'm thinking of buying two new rear wheels, style 287.

I'm thinking of getting the 8" wide wheels to match the front and run 235-40/18 all around. What are the disadvantages of doing this? I'm not racing or auto-x, just a commuter and weekend fun toy. It's cool to have 255 rear tires on a compact car, but how much grip would I be giving up by switching to 235s?

I plan to get Continental ExtremeContact Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, whichever is cheaper when I'm buying them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:49 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I just got a pre-LCI E93 and it has staggered wheels. The rears have some curb rash and chipping of the finish, and I noticed that one of them had two cracks on the inside edge that were welded. I'm not sure how well they were welded/repaired so I'm thinking of buying two new rear wheels, style 287.

I'm thinking of getting the 8" wide wheels to match the front and run 235-40/18 all around. What are the disadvantages of doing this? I'm not racing or auto-x, just a commuter and weekend fun toy. It's cool to have 255 rear tires on a compact car, but how much grip would I be giving up by switching to 235s?

I plan to get Continental ExtremeContact Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, whichever is cheaper when I'm buying them.
There aren't really any tangible disadvantages to running a square setup but people usually go with 4 rears if doing an OEM square setup.

The wheels will look super sunken in and you'll obviously lose some grip. Otherwise it will work fine. What's the advantage though?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
There aren't really any tangible disadvantages to running a square setup but people usually go with 4 rears if doing an OEM square setup.

The wheels will look super sunken in and you'll obviously lose some grip. Otherwise it will work fine. What's the advantage though?
My rear rims are curb rashed and one has two repair welds, so if I'm going with four 8.5" rims I'd need all four. I'm thinking of just getting a pair of 8" for the back and use the same size all around. Spacers would fix the sunken in look, and it shouldn't be too bad because 235 isn't that much narrower, though I would like to see pictures.

Advantages are 2x 8" rims are cheaper than a set of 4 new ones, and longer tire life from being able to do front to back rotations.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:27 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
My rear rims are curb rashed and one has two repair welds, so if I'm going with four 8.5" rims I'd need all four. I'm thinking of just getting a pair of 8" for the back and use the same size all around. Spacers would fix the sunken in look, and it shouldn't be too bad because 235 isn't that much narrower, though I would like to see pictures.

Advantages are 2x 8" rims are cheaper than a set of 4 new ones, and longer tire life from being able to do front to back rotations.
Sure 2 are cheaper than 4 but is the only purpose to do rotations? I'd just get 2 rear ones and keep it staggered.
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101677.00