E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Comfort access stopped working / blowing fuse

12-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #45
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee0007 View Post
My issue was the module where the battery is , sometimes water gets in there. The module and the styrofoam got infused together after the short. I found the module on eBay for like $50 , replaced it and it worked.
Ah ok thanks. Yeah the module was probably my next step to replace if I didn't find more info from other diagnostics. Although I already took it out to inspect visually and it looked OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 05:54 PM   #46
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 Comp

Hi All,

Posting a comment because I've spent hours reading and still not sure what to do. I have a 2013 BMW M3 comp and the comfort access to unlock and lock the doors stopped working. It does start with the key in my pocket though. I just replaced one of my keyfobs and had both programmed and synced with comfort access. So both keys have new batteries and are programmed. The fobs both unlock and lock the doors from the keyfob itself.

Is the fuse my next check? Who has a diagram and location?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 06:02 PM   #47
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauti View Post
Hi All,

Posting a comment because I've spent hours reading and still not sure what to do. I have a 2013 BMW M3 comp and the comfort access to unlock and lock the doors stopped working. It does start with the key in my pocket though. I just replaced one of my keyfobs and had both programmed and synced with comfort access. So both keys have new batteries and are programmed. The fobs both unlock and lock the doors from the keyfob itself.

Is the fuse my next check? Who has a diagram and location?

Thanks all
Ahh you are also facing a very similar issue to me. I can start my car as well key in pocket but no door handles. Can you also unlock your trunk if your car is locked with the key in pocket and pushing trunk lid button? If you can it's 100% like me. But yeah I'm also not 100% sure what to do and I don't like just replacing parts without diagnostic but other than checking my fuses, not sure what else to do to confirm the issue.

I already tried replacing my driver door handle with a new one, but then it acted very weird. First time I installed a working used one one, it seemed to work once then died. Then sometimes it would work, sometimes not, or then it would lock until it timed out. And one day it just gave up and never came back to life.

At this point I think it has to be the module 100%. I've been procrastinating it but just saw your reply and it's recent. If we don't have anything else once ~ spring arrives I will probably order a new one and replace it and report back. Last time I inspected my module I could not find any water issues so it's why I'm on the fence if that's it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #48
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, I can open the trunk with the key in pocket.

What module with styrofoam are you referring to? Where is it located? I'd like to inspect mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #49
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep

I purchased a comfort access passive go module. It should arrive early next week. I will let you know how it turns out. From my reads, it is plug and play- no coding needed.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 11:29 AM   #50
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Swapped the module and still no success. Even the start feature of comfort access stopped working when swapping which made me think these have to be programmed.

Again, at a loss. Thinking about changing the front and rear antenna and trying to find out exactly how to locate the front antenna under the ashtray/ side carpet.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 11:49 AM   #51
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Swapped the module and still no success. Even the start feature of comfort access stopped working when swapping which made me think these have to be programmed.

Again, at a loss. Thinking about changing the front and rear antenna and trying to find out exactly how to locate the front antenna under the ashtray/ side carpet.
Did you check the fuse ? Because of my faulty module , it always burned the fuse. Which I replaced several times before replacing the module. Check and make sure it’s not burned out. I don’t remember which one was mine but yours most likely will be different since it’s a different car. Either way if the fuse is good , I would take it to someone who specialized in electronics for cars. They could help you diagnose it and get to the issue faster since you already ruled out a few.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 11:51 AM   #52
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Ah shit. Thanks for updating though. Maybe you just need to code it and all will work? Especially if the module came from like a different model car. Have a hard time thinking it would be antenna although perhaps they short something out.

I still haven't changed mine here. I will report as well when I do. It's still cold
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #53
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Ah shit. Thanks for updating though. Maybe you just need to code it and all will work? Especially if the module came from like a different model car. Have a hard time thinking it would be antenna although perhaps they short something out.

I still haven't changed mine here. I will report as well when I do. It's still cold
I didn’t have to code my. But maybe in your case? Either way I remember I had to make sure it’s the same exact model number. Since some had slightly diff numbers this would make it unusable.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 12:30 PM   #54
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just checked the fuse and its good. Since it starts with comfort access, I didnt think the fuse would be bad but double checked- thanks.

The reason i think it could be the antennas is because the range for the key fob is really bad, in terms of unlocking and locking. I mean like 10-15 feet away max. Also, if the key is in my pocket when starting, sometimes i need to move my leg closer to the wheel if it to recognize and start via comfort access.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #55
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also, right after starting the car with comfort access, i get a warning that the key is not in the car for the first 5-10 seconds after start.. makes me think this is an antenna issue. My car is stock, no tints or anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #56
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Also, right after starting the car with comfort access, i get a warning that the key is not in the car for the first 5-10 seconds after start.. makes me think this is an antenna issue. My car is stock, no tints or anything.
Quote:
Just checked the fuse and its good. Since it starts with comfort access, I didnt think the fuse would be bad but double checked- thanks.

The reason i think it could be the antennas is because the range for the key fob is really bad, in terms of unlocking and locking. I mean like 10-15 feet away max. Also, if the key is in my pocket when starting, sometimes i need to move my leg closer to the wheel if it to recognize and start via comfort access.

Thoughts?
Oh okay I may have misunderstood. I thought with the new comfort access module nothing was working at all anymore (You lost comfort trunk unlock and comfort car start). Which to me would sound as if it's missing some certain coding so that it can all work.

So to clarify with new module, was does currently work comfort access wise?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #57
jdauti
Enlisted Member
Rep

When i replaced the new comfort access module, I lost the features of comfort access that did work for me(eg. starting the car). Yes, it does appear it will need coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 06:54 PM   #58
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When i replaced the new comfort access module, I lost the features of comfort access that did work for me(eg. starting the car). Yes, it does appear it will need coding.
Ah ok got it. Personally, I would suspect the coding first and just default code it and see. If it still acts odd then and you can't comfort start or comfort trunk, especially if it shows up the icon for no key connection, could be antennas.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #59
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t have to code my. But maybe in your case? Either way I remember I had to make sure it’s the same exact model number. Since some had slightly diff numbers this would make it unusable.
Model number you mean the REAL OEM part number right? Or some other number you could only read on your module itself?

If REAL OEM, looks like the module was used on 8 different models so could be the coding for jdauti.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #60
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Model number you mean the REAL OEM part number right? Or some other number you could only read on your module itself?

If REAL OEM, looks like the module was used on 8 different models so could be the coding for jdauti.
I mean that same vehicle can use diff module depending on its options etc. that’s why you have to make sure the part number matches your existing module number.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:42 PM   #61
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I mean that same vehicle can use diff module depending on its options etc. that’s why you have to make sure the part number matches your existing module number.
Yeah but even the one you got that matches the REALOEM part number is still used in 8 different models. It's the coding that will determine which options to use and turn on and etc. But if for example the used module you got was from a E9X specifically (Well I see you have 1 series actually) I would assume it is almost plug and play without coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 05:34 PM   #62
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
I'm in the same boat. I'm a new owner of the car and realized that both comfort access door handles do not work. I mean how likely is that they both failed?
I can start the car and also open the trunk with key in my pocket. I will check the fuses.
I also replaced the batt of my key fob but same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 04:43 PM   #63
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Changed fuses 61 and 63, same thing. Comfort Access doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:22 PM   #64
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Well I finally bought a used comfort access module and tried it out after coding it.... no success. My car works the exact same way as before, keyless start and keyless trunk unlock works but my door handles not responsive.

I wonder though if my handles are dead now and getting a new handle might work. To recap, when I first try to troubleshoot I checked all fuses and they checked out. Then I bought a used ebay handle and at first, CA seemed to work but then idk what triggered it the handle would always unlock/lock the car repeatedly until it timed out when I was in range, without even touching the handle. Did this for about a week before the handle stopped working completely. I then got another replacement handle thinking handle was just bad, same exact behavior. Maybe with the module now it a new handle would work tho hmmm... I don't like doing the parts cannon method but tbh no idea where to start with diagnosing something like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #65
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Actually, have a new update here. Before giving up, I had installed the repalcement eBay handle I had (The one that randomly locked/unlocked and then stopped working). I had to pull out the car out of the garage so I did that and then I just touched the lock portion of the handle for fun and by magic it worked! I then unlocked the door, locked it again, I kept going at it for a good 30 seconds and nothing was buggy. All worked as expected, I was so ecstatic. I then decided to plug back my original handle to check that one but zero behavior with it. That said as I was plugging the eBay handle back, I could hear the system be screwy like it was before. But instead of randomly locking/unlocking the door and spamming it, I could just hear the door locks try to unlock over and over. But the moment I locked it with the handle ridges, it locked and didn't bug out when I was near so fingers crossed. And yes before someone asks, I did test the eBay handle as well before making my previous post and at first it didn't work right away when it's plugged in.

I'll report back. So funny, I had just placed a new order for a handle on eBay before I pulled the car out. Going to have to cancel that for now lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:42 AM   #66
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

A week later and everything is still working great. I think I can mark this as resolved for sure now and hopefully this helps anyone with same symptoms.
Appreciate 0