E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Our existence

10-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #67
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
There isnt anything about atheism to be proud about.
We all die, both the wise man and the fool

Atheism doent overcome aging, sickness, sorrow and death.....
it is arrogance in the midst of ignorance, because it claims certainty about something that you cannot possibly be certain about.
I use to live in a womb, best day of my "life" was when I left. Death here I see the same way as leaving the womb, it will be best day of my death...
Proud atheist despite your claims, insinuations and accusations.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #68
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I'm more concerned with leaving a better world for our children, regardless of how small the contribution is, than what will happen to me. Easiest way to do that is to not be selfish, fix your own life before you tackle global issues and to stop voting for marxists.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #69
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Doesn't matter if you believe in God... no, it matters more if God actually believes in you

A photographer in another airplane.
Attached Images

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      10-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #70
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
That's not how laws & theories work. My understanding is they are used to describe different things. A theory doesn't become a law. A law can predict what will happen while a theory will try to explain why it happens. One is not anymore "legit" than the other.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I always thought that a theory is what is proposed but not proven whereas a law (in terms of science) has been proven based on objectively observable things. However, a quick wiki search kinda repeats what you wrote. Still, I'm wondering why they make that distinction and surely one has to be more susceptible to less certainty, otherwise why would they use different terms? I think it may be folly to dismissively discount subjectivity when ppl develop theories and then equate it to laws and facts.

Anyway, I'm no scientist so if anyone well-versed in this could enlighten, that would be great.

EDIT:
Forgot to add this bit -
I was listening to The Cure and wanted to wiki Robert Smith, funny to realize that he believes in this thing called Antinatalism. I can't say that I disagree w him for maybe similar or different reasons, have humans in the overall sense been better or worse for the planet? I'd argue the latter. Anyway, this may be getting sidetracked but I thought that it was interesting to me he doesn't have any kids.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

Last edited by tranquility; 10-17-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:13 PM   #71
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

oh ok, so this so called "photographer" and so called other plane does it really exist ? or do you think they both exist Pffft

next you'l be telling me that some kinda special magic pixie dust is holding up the photographer and this imaginary plane you believe in.

Seriously ? so, I want you to show me some 100% proof that this second plane actually exists, not in your mind or some imaginary book really 100% incontrovertible proof.

You are all sheeple, brainwashed into believing in imaginary planes and imaginary photographers. To make you feel better when you die..

Sorry to break it to you, but God took that picture, on his 1billion pixel iphone 100 he's the only one who has the power to fly

that is the only explanation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
A photographer in another airplane.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #72
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
wait... the universe got created out of nothing ? and that's science and people cling to science though there is no clear 100% proof (albeit it's a theory)

yet people say I'm deluded that I believe some mythical being created the earth and the heavens in 7 days.

Seems to me both parties have faith in something unseen, unknown and un proven. would it be ok for me to call people deluded ? no I don't think so, but I can be because the believe in science ? Interesting world we live in.

just for the record
I believe in science and my bible (yes you can believe in both) I also belive in RFT's and BMW oil. LGM are not from mar's more likely Beta Reticuli, warp drive and transporter technology is already here and aliens are just priming us for when they are uncovered officially (were not a warp capable species yet)

If the devil exists then so does God, if evil exists then so does Oprah Winfrey.

word to your mummy ! we out
yes science says, before there was the universe there was completely nothing - no stuff, no time. then suddenly bang, and within less than 0.000000000001s everything was there, stuff and time just appeared out of nothingness (albeit without shape or form, that happened over time)

i watched a video by michio kaku (you can google him)

he says there are 2 explanations

1. god did it
2. the universe fluctuates in an out of existence (however he doesn't explain where all the stuff appears from and vanishes to)

he says he "believes" it's cause number 2.

so science is a religion of faith.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #73
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
yes science says, before there was the universe there was completely nothing - no stuff, no time. then suddenly bang, and within less than 0.000000000001s everything was there, stuff and time just appeared out of nothingness (albeit without shape or form, that happened over time)

i watched a video by michio kaku (you can google him)

he says there are 2 explanations

1. god did it
2. the universe fluctuates in an out of existence (however he doesn't explain where all the stuff appears from and vanishes to)

he says he "believes" it's cause number 2.

so science is a religion of faith.
He was my professor for a semester - he's very deistic in his views and acknowledges something supreme that does not intervene beyond the first moment in time that we can theorize on.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #74
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Just because we can't prove something, it does not give us the right to assign a god to it.

“Everybody is an atheist in saying that there is a god - from Ra to Shiva - in which he does not believe. All that the serious and objective atheist does is to take the next step and to say that there is just one more god to disbelieve in.” -Richard Dawkins
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #75
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Just because we can't prove something, it does not give us the right to assign a god to it.

“Everybody is an atheist in saying that there is a god - from Ra to Shiva - in which he does not believe. All that the serious and objective atheist does is to take the next step and to say that there is just one more god to disbelieve in.” -Richard Dawkins
caution: obvious religious website, so it does have an agenda, a video clip of Dawkins talking about god(s) with nobel prize winner [human genome project]

Last edited by G30M; 10-17-2022 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #76
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Really, no science? At all? You can disprove the theories, I’d like to see that. But we digress from the OP’s question. The fact is I can’t prove it and I assume that either you have a PhD in astrophysics and can disapprove the theory or it is something you just don’t understand so there is no proof and no one can explain it. Kind of like why would anyone stay in a hotel… ��
I just think it's ridiculous that there is something like the Big Bang which is literally taken as fact but we (as humans) can't even fly to Mars...just reeks of arrogance as a species
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #77
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I just think it's ridiculous that there is something like the Big Bang which is literally taken as fact but we (as humans) can't even fly to Mars...just reeks of arrogance as a species
I don't think the big bang is necessarily being touted as the answer to the beginning of time or anything. It's more of an acceptance that since things have been expanding as time moves forward (and continue to do so), if you go back in time, things will naturally contract into something that eventually "exploded" in a sense.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2022, 04:06 PM   #78
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I realized that i hang out with a strange group of people on the internet

Appreciate 3
      10-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #79
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
What does one thing have to do with the other?? It's like saying how the hell can someone drive a car when they can't even bake a cake.

And we can fly to Mars... we have done it a bunch of times. I'm sure we can throw a poor schmuck in there and fly their ass to Mars if we wanted to. What they will do once they get there or how they will get back is a different story.
Appreciate 1
kscarrol8907.50
      10-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #80
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
oh ok, so this so called "photographer" and so called other plane does it really exist ? or do you think they both exist Pffft

next you'l be telling me that some kinda special magic pixie dust is holding up the photographer and this imaginary plane you believe in.

Seriously ? so, I want you to show me some 100% proof that this second plane actually exists, not in your mind or some imaginary book really 100% incontrovertible proof.

You are all sheeple, brainwashed into believing in imaginary planes and imaginary photographers. To make you feel better when you die..

Sorry to break it to you, but God took that picture, on his 1billion pixel iphone 100 he's the only one who has the power to fly

Thank you for reminding me why I left the church.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8907.50
unluky7528.00
      10-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #81
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
What does one thing have to do with the other?? It's like saying how the hell can someone drive a car when they can't even bake a cake.

And we can fly to Mars... we have done it a bunch of times. I'm sure we can throw a poor schmuck in there and fly their ass to Mars if we wanted to. What they will do once they get there or how they will get back is a different story.
It's pretentious to think we know the beginning of the universe and have very limited technology. It just never made sense to me.

We haven't been to the moon in 40 years but we know existence of time...come on
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 07:50 PM   #82
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Strictly speaking, there is no (absolute) proof in science, just degrees of uncertainty. Proof we leave to geometry.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 07:06 AM   #83
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Quote:
he's the only one who has the power to fly

Anyone can. Have a Red Bull.
      10-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #84
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I don't think the big bang is necessarily being touted as the answer to the beginning of time or anything. It's more of an acceptance that since things have been expanding as time moves forward (and continue to do so), if you go back in time, things will naturally contract into something that eventually "exploded" in a sense.
Time??

Are you certain that everything that "has" ever happened, "is" happening or "will" happen isn't all happening "simultaneously", and during our lives we come in contact with these phenomenon / occurrences?

i.e. passage of time is a human construct. Everything that will be already is. Take that in for a few minutes..
      10-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #85
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

It's funny when people but bibles in the fiction section at bookstores.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #86
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I find it freeing.

To me there is nothing after death, our atoms go on to make something else - so sort of reincarnated, but not how most see it. So we got one shot here to enjoy life.

Saying the earth is a grain of sand in the universe is insulting to sand - we are WAY smaller than that. All of human existence will never make a single ripple in the universe so what's with all the worrying? If ALL of human existence does not make a ripple - why would I worry about my work?

My work gives me fulfillment and things I enjoy - so I do it. The moment it does not I do something different. If you believe you only have one shot at this and there is nothing else - it drives me to do what I want to do instead of what I am "expected" to do.

Everyone has to decide what they believe though and live their life based on it.
      10-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #87
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I've read through the comments. My personal belief is that my existence is now. What happens next is uncertain. I live my life to be the best I can be and treat others with respect. I do these things because I think it it the right and moral thing, not for some fear that I may somewhere bad in some afterlife.

Great thoughts and input from the posters. I have a couple of take-aways:

1) The range of responses is exactly as expected.
2) The posts where the authors think its their job to tell you that you are wrong to believe/or not believe what you want is always entertaining, especially the name-calling.
3) I have learned exactly nothing new after reading this thread. It's all the same. That's not a bad thing necessarily. It shows just how uncertain and just how complicated it ALL is.

What matters to me the most is to be able to believe what we want to believe without persecution. I cannot personally imagine being forced to believe a certain thing, no matter what it is.

Last edited by sygazelle; 10-18-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 4
EezyBeezy271.00
///d1820.00
Joachim328.00
      10-18-2022, 10:25 AM   #88
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Time??

Are you certain that everything that "has" ever happened, "is" happening or "will" happen isn't all happening "simultaneously", and during our lives we come in contact with these phenomenon / occurrences?

i.e. passage of time is a human construct. Everything that will be already is. Take that in for a few minutes..
No. I'm sorry.
Appreciate 0