E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Can't shift into 1st or 2nd while car is running after clutch replacement

11-05-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
scbim
cap
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Can't shift into 1st or 2nd while car is running after clutch replacement

Recently replaced the clutch and flywheel. Everything was smooth other than some rattling but that may be an exhaust bracket that's missing a washer. Drove the car for 30 miles or so over the span of about a week.

Today, I pulled into the garage to lift the car so I could put a washer on that exhaust bracket I mentioned. Decided to adjust the position of the car a bit so I backed out, and when I went to put the car into 1st to pull back in, it wouldn't budge. Not only that but I found that while attempting to push the car into 1st with the clutch fully engaged, the transmission was being partially engaged and the car was rolling forward. Car was able to slip into 3rd and 4th with some difficulty. After shutting the car off, I was able to shift freely without a hitch.

I started the car with 1st engaged and pulled into the garage, after moving into neutral the car once again would not shift into 1st (or reverse). After shutting the car off, startling with reverse engaged and backing out a bit, the car was magically once again able to shift freely with the engine running.

Any ideas about what could have gone wrong? Hoping I don't have to drop the transmission again...maybe something could have gone wrong with the shifter (worth noting, I also installed a short shift kit while the tranny was out). Any feedback is welcome. I'm not a mechanic, and pretty deep over my head on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Did you get to drive it multiple times after changing and before the problem occured?

Any issues, sounds, or other quirks you noticed during the 30miles you mentioned?

I was going to ask if you were sure you put the clutch in the right direction but you probably would have noticed immediately if that was the case

Did you touch anything related to the hydraulic cylinders? Or throwout bearing?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
scbim
cap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
Did you get to drive it multiple times after changing and before the problem occured?

Any issues, sounds, or other quirks you noticed during the 30miles you mentioned?

I was going to ask if you were sure you put the clutch in the right direction but you probably would have noticed immediately if that was the case

Did you touch anything related to the hydraulic cylinders? Or throwout bearing?
Looking back it was probably closer to 100 miles driven without any issues except rattling at high speeds. I took it on two 30 mile drives, as well as a few trips around town. I replaced the throwout bearing as well as the fork, pivot pin, and slave cylinder. Actually, the first time I reinstalled the clutch slave, I broke it while attempting to activate the clutch because the piston wasn't properly seated against the fork (luckily I had a new one on hand, and was very careful to make sure I aligned it properly). The friction plate is installed correctly, I have a picture of it.

My thoughts are it must be something either with the shifter or the clutch slave. What gets me is the on again off again behavior. Not being able to enter gear with the engine running makes me wonder about the clutch slave not engaging the clutch, but then, how would I be able to shift into 3rd and 4th without stalling? The pedal feels normal as well...and what could possibly cause the issue to surface randomly after 100 miles (including a trip earlier that day), and then magically disappear only 30 minutes later?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:56 PM   #4
scbim
cap
Rep

Did a bit more diag. Car does not creep on flat ground with clutch engaged, so I can confirm that the friction plate is being released from the flywheel. Was able to shift today with the engine running but it takes a lot more effort than it should. Once again, while the engine is off, the shifter moves between gears freely as it should, so I believe this rules out any issues with the shift mechanism itself.

Looks like I'll be needing to drop the transmission again...Just hoping to get some kind of idea as to what might be happening before going to that much trouble.

The question remains: why would the car have difficulty shifting with the engine running, but not while it's off, when the clutch is in fact being released upon operation?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 02:38 PM   #5
scbim
cap
Rep

For the record, there was still a tiny bit of air in the system. Not enough to notice much in the pedal so it slipped by my attention. Rookie mistake. System is a bitch to bleed with a power bleeder, I ended up just opening the cap and pumping the clutch a bunch of times. Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0