E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track

07-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #507
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Anybody looking to DIY an oil cooler, here's an extremely useful piece: http://store.bimmerworld.com/e3646-o...kit-p1027.aspx

It basically lets you screw on -10 lines to fit any oil cooler.

I also saw this for the E46 M3s: an oil cooler diverter which diverts 100% of the flow into the oil cooler. Looks similar to the plunger in the E9X ones, but I'm not sure if it actually fits. http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36e46-...alve-p980.aspx
      07-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #508
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Anybody looking to DIY an oil cooler, here's an extremely useful piece: http://store.bimmerworld.com/e3646-o...kit-p1027.aspx

It basically lets you screw on -10 lines to fit any oil cooler.

I also saw this for the E46 M3s: an oil cooler diverter which diverts 100% of the flow into the oil cooler. Looks similar to the plunger in the E9X ones, but I'm not sure if it actually fits. http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36e46-...alve-p980.aspx
I doubt this would make much of a difference on cars without upgraded oil coolers. I would give it a try but at $80 I think the money is better spent on a better core.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #509
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

After several hours, I have finally read through this entire thread.

First my experience: I have taken my 335 w/step on the track several times. The car was okay for the first couple of HPDE days, but as I got faster over the next couple of days, there were some significant limp mode symptoms occuring. I never got any dash lights, just a reduction in power.

I don't even have an oil cooler on my car, so I was impressed that it handled the heat developed at the track as much as it did. However, our ambient temps were never above 20-25C (about 70-77F). There are some benefits to living in Canada!

I gather from this thread that one of the achilles heel's of this car is poor heat management - specifically water and oil cooling. I don't have an oil cooler now and it seems the only aftermarket retrofit kit is AR Designs. However, most people in this thread are not having any success with this cooler. Should I spend the money for this kit, or should I try to manage the heat through improving heat transfer through the radiator (ie. 30/70 mix with water wetter)? Is there another retrofit kit available that I don't know about?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #510
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post

First my experience: I have taken my 335 w/step on the track several times. The car was okay for the first couple of HPDE days, but as I got faster over the next couple of days, there were some significant limp mode symptoms occuring. I never got any dash lights, just a reduction in power.

I don't even have an oil cooler on my car, so I was impressed that it handled the heat developed at the track as much as it did. However, our ambient temps were never above 20-25C (about 70-77F). There are some benefits to living in Canada!

I gather from this thread that one of the achilles heel's of this car is poor heat management - specifically water and oil cooling. I don't have an oil cooler now and it seems the only aftermarket retrofit kit is AR Designs. However, most people in this thread are not having any success with this cooler. Should I spend the money for this kit, or should I try to manage the heat through improving heat transfer through the radiator (ie. 30/70 mix with water wetter)? Is there another retrofit kit available that I don't know about?
Evolution Racewerks Sport or the Stett single oil cooler. Definitely the distilled water and Mocool in the radiator (with k=just enough anti-freeze for Canadian temps ;-)) and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #511
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:

To reiterate the bassman- STETT offers a few options (Stg I or II) that can be used by those of us that had no original cooler. I have Stg II and love the results.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #512
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
To reiterate the bassman- STETT offers a few options (Stg I or II) that can be used by those of us that had no original cooler. I have Stg II and love the results.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Evolution Racewerks Sport or the Stett single oil cooler. Definitely the distilled water and Mocool in the radiator (with k=just enough anti-freeze for Canadian temps ;-)) and you should be fine.
+1

OC & distilled with Mocool/WaterWetter will take you a long way before you see limp modes again. Investing in a BT tool is also recommended so you can understand the cause of the limp modes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #513
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I also just found this thread for a DIY install of an oil cooler on a car that does not come with an oil cooler.

Now, do I go with the tried-and-true AR Designs or try my hand at a DIY. I'm a handy guy who is also cheap, so I think I know my answer...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #514
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
I've looked and can't find this for sale anywhere. What's the approx price?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #515
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
OC & distilled with Mocool/WaterWetter will take you a long way before you see limp modes again. Investing in a BT tool is also recommended so you can understand the cause of the limp modes.
Got the BT tool. Next time I'm on the track I will take note of any codes I get. I will also make sure to track water and oil temps carefully too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #516
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

For another Canadian perspective, I never got heat-related limp mode on track. I have the AR oil cooler + the OEM oil cooler. Coolant mixture has not been modified yet.

The only limp I got on track was due to the fuel pump going out.
      07-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #517
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There was a group buy here late last year, if you look at the sponsors forum it should still be there (for price reference). You should be able to buy it directly from STETT. Price will vary as you have the thermostat option plus Stg I vs. Stg II and if I recall correctly the 135 and 335 prices were different too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #518
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got the BT tool. Next time I'm on the track I will take note of any codes I get. I will also make sure to track water and oil temps carefully too.
Depending on what "extras" you have on the car, you may get false positive codes (such as 2AAF) so it's important to match the mileage of the 3100 codes (limp mode) with either an actual error (i.e. VANOS, HPFP) or lack of it as water and oil will not produce corresponding error codes. Good luck on your next run and let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #519
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:
Like Peter said- goto to Stett's website. stettperformance.com (i think). If you cant find it on the site, call and talk to Chad (Stett). Tell him Joe with the 335XI, sent you his way.

(ooh, my 800th post!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #520
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

A big thanks to Chowbow for the new info! First post updated with the MT coolant flush info and his "one-eye" pirate-style foglight version of the oil cooler duct replacement.

Heading to the Glen in a few days with a CAI this time and a new game plan, I'll add more data to the chart soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #521
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
A big thanks to Chowbow for the new info! First post updated with the MT coolant flush info and his "one-eye" pirate-style foglight version of the oil cooler duct replacement.

Heading to the Glen in a few days with a CAI this time and a new game plan, I'll add more data to the chart soon.
NP. I'm off to Thunderhill this weekend... in 90+ degree heat. Will report temps and issues.
      07-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #522
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
NP. I'm off to Thunderhill this weekend... in 90+ degree heat. Will report temps and issues.
I'll be at Buttonwillow this Sunday. Forecast says 96°F. We'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #523
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Ill be at Thunderhill this weekend too! both sat and sun
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #524
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
Ill be at Thunderhill this weekend too! both sat and sun
Cool I'll see you there! I'll be with a bunch of the SFR SCCA autocross folks, look for a group of Evos and I should be around there.
      07-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #525
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Yowza - a hot one out there yesterday at Thunderhill. The morning started off in the 80s and quickly reached the mid 90s by early afternoon.

I ran in the n00b-ish group as I don't have that many track events under my belt. I've been to Thunderhill a few times but don't track often. The pace wasn't too fast in our group. I didn't time myself but from "video timing" here's one of my runs without hitting traffic. Looks like ~2:22 or so? Way off the pace of a spec Miata. Just learning the ropes though so it's slow and steady. Just trying to be slow and smooth in the car is difficult as I'm used to autocrossing.

First few sessions I had no issues with overheating. From the session in the mid 90s I got a half engine light from oil temps right at the end of my 6th lap. The gauge read 295*F, I'm guessing I hit that 300*F threshold. Coolant temps were surprisingly well controlled for me. Never saw more than 110*C (230*F) in the secret menu which surprised me.

Here are details for Peter to add to the chart:

Driver: Chowbow
Track: Thunderhill CC - over cyclone
Transmission: MT
Driver level: Novice
Best lap: ~2:22
Spec Miata: 2:08
Ambient: 95*F
Oil cooler: stock with M3 air duct
Oil temp max: 295*F on gauges
Heater: Off
Coolant mix: ~25/75 coolant mix
Coolant max: 110*C / 230*F
Comments: Half engine light on dash from oil temp. Coolant temps remained controlled.

Last edited by Chowbow; 07-10-2011 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #526
jbass524
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yowza - a hot one out there yesterday at Thunderhill. The morning started off in the 80s and quickly reached the mid 90s by early afternoon.

First few sessions I had no issues with overheating. From the session in the mid 90s I got a half engine light from oil temps right at the end of my 6th lap. The gauge read 295*F, I'm guessing I hit that 300*F threshold. Coolant temps were surprisingly well controlled for me. Never saw more than 110*C (230*F) in the secret menu which surprised me.
OUCH!!! T-Hill is hot. You definitely need a lot of cooling to effectively run there in the summer. I really don't think your coolant temps are under control, at least in that heat

You need this: Dual OCs - Stett or ER, 100% distilled water with MOCOOL, et al, and maybe even meth pointed at the radiator.

I think we all might be missing the benefits of a Vorsteiner vented hood. There really is no place for the hot air to go.

BTW, 2:22 is fine
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #527
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
OUCH!!! T-Hill is hot. You definitely need a lot of cooling to effectively run there in the summer. I really don't think your coolant temps are under control, at least in that heat

You need this: Dual OCs - Stett or ER, 100% distilled water with MOCOOL, et al, and maybe even meth pointed at the radiator.

I think we all might be missing the benefits of a Vorsteiner vented hood. There really is no place for the hot air to go.

BTW, 2:22 is fine
I may end up doing a custom OC later. I'm pretty confident I can source all the bits and make it work. zsapphire7 was out there in his ER setup without issues as far as I know.

Do you think the coolant temps displayed might be wrong? I checked at numerous points in the lap and most of the time it was in the 107-110*C range which was pretty low, but it was consistently at that temp. I know the MTs will run cooler without the radiator cooling the trans fluid.
      07-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #528
jbass524
Major
Rep

Quote:
I may end up doing a custom OC later. I'm pretty confident I can source all the bits and make it work. zsapphire7 was out there in his ER setup without issues as far as I know.

Do you think the coolant temps displayed might be wrong? I checked at numerous points in the lap and most of the time it was in the 107-110*C range which was pretty low, but it was consistently at that temp. I know the MTs will run cooler without the radiator cooling the trans fluid.
The coolant was too high and your power was diminished. Did you feel your car being a slower after a couple of laps?

100% distilled water with MOCOOL should be in your cooling system at a hot track.

As you already know getting air to any radiator is more important than having a really good radiator. The ER setup comes with ducting designed for this.

The main reason AR designed their OC the way they did was because they didn't want to have accommodate the various bumpers and multiple ducting designs it would require. Consequently it's not a successful design. BTW, Love AR and think they are great people and would buy other products.

The 1M is only available in the MT and they have increased airflow to the OC and auxiliary radiator. Additionally, BMW has exhaust venting on the 1M for the hot air to have somewhere to go.

What lap times was zsapphire doing? Do you know his coolant temps?

Do you have a tune?
Appreciate 0