E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > "LANGKA" or "DR COLOR CHIP"?

09-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
uber335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i COUPE

"LANGKA" or "DR COLOR CHIP"?

So far these are the most popular rock chip removal solutions. Has anyone had personal experience of using these? Which one is better?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
i have a chip from a door ding on my rear fender wheel well, would love to know as well

and thats like the 2 times i actually park w/ cars, never again

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

rock chip removal? is it possible to REMOVE something that actually REMOVED your paint in the first place??? my bumper is hella chipped, i would love to know...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

rock chip 'removal' is a misnomer. More like rock chip repair. But I guess the OP meant when you repair a rock chip, you're, in essence, removing the rock chip away from the paint.

With Langka, you dab the OEM touch-up paint to the chipped area, then remove the excess with their "blob remover (a solvent I believe, Picus can explain better)".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
rock chip removal? is it possible to REMOVE something that actually REMOVED your paint in the first place??? my bumper is hella chipped, i would love to know...
      09-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I havent had good luck with langka on metalic paint.
It just doesnt look "right" when you smooth it on because of the sparkles.

if you have a flat color it would work out better.

~fk
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

langka would be my choice I haven't used it yet but I'm use it'll be somewhat ok..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

I've used the Langka system and I was quite happy with the results. My car is Alpine White and it has a mean rock chip that went straight through the paint to where I could see the primer. Using the blob remover is a bit tricky.
First time I left the paint on for 2 hrs then tried the blob remover and it was difficult to come off..I ended up removing some of the paint I had filled so I did another pass where I waited 15 minutes and it came out much better. Its not perfect, but it looks 80% better than it did before. I have read that most first time users dont do a perfect job, but as you use it more and you become more experienced with it the results are great.

There are many rock chip repair kits out there. I researched probably 3-4. I picked Langka because it seemed like it was easy and there was a lot of information available including reviews on numerous forums (most which were positive)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill View Post
I havent had good luck with langka on metalic paint.
It just doesnt look "right" when you smooth it on because of the sparkles.

if you have a flat color it would work out better.

~fk
dammit...i have black sapphire

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

you can try it with black..... if its on the hood then the primer is white underneath... it might work out better.

You can borrow my langka sometime in pasadena/alhambra area if you want to test it out.

~fk
Appreciate 0