E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 - Found Oil in the Intake Manifold and Throttle-body.

10-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

N52 - Found Oil in the Intake Manifold and Throttle-body.

Hey gear heads. So I took off the intake manifold off the engine to replace the starter and found about a couple ounces of oil settling in the manifold itself. Now before seeing this the car appeared to be running fine and purring like a cat. Is this normal for oil to be in this side of the engine? Car has 92k miles.

Give me your thoughts good or bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The crankcase ventilation system is probably leaving it there. I'd say normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I agree it's the CCV, how normal that is I don't really know. Are you constantly adding oil?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Is the engine "using" oil? It is normal though for the intake manifold to be a bit oily due to the crankcase ventilation as said above. When I had the intake manifold off my 330i there was some oiliness, but only a thin layer on the internal surfaces, very little dripped out when turning it over and leaving it like that - mileage was probably less than half of yours at the time though...

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca
I agree it's the CCV, how normal that is I don't really know. Are you constantly adding oil?
Changed oil in Feb and haven't had add any since. So if the engine is burning oil it probably not much.
      10-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I
Is the engine "using" oil? It is normal though for the intake manifold to be a bit oily due to the crankcase ventilation as said above. When I had the intake manifold off my 330i there was some oiliness, but only a thin layer on the internal surfaces, very little dripped out when turning it over and leaving it like that - mileage was probably less than half of yours at the time though...
Oh I see. I kinda had the notion that it should just be air being pulled through so I got freaked out seeing the little puddle settling in there. The engine doesn't burn oil much it seems. I changed the oil in feb and haven't seen the level indicator moves from Max since.
      11-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The crankcase ventilation system is probably leaving it there. I'd say normal.

Yep.
Look closer with the throttle body removed you will see some oil drips from where the lower hose connects to the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Yep.
Look closer with the throttle body removed you will see some oil drips from where the lower hose connects to the manifold.
+1

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
Pohsib
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w Sport Package 6MT

I know this is an old thread but it’s the 1st one that came up when I searched for “oil in the intake manifold BMW 330i.”

I found this statement Pelican Parts’
BMW Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement article:

“If you find oil inside your intake manifold, replace the crankcase breather valve. Clean the inside of intake manifold thoroughly...”

Granted they have a vested interest in telling that. However, I can add that oil in the manifold can foul your DISA actuators. I don’t know if that alone ruins them but it can’t be good. I cracked both my DISAs open in hopes of rebuilding them. I think the large one (DISA #1) is salvageable even though it has some oil in it. The smaller one (DISA #2) which is located on the inside of the manifold near the starter and challenging to get to was nearly full of oil. I’m not even going to attempt to rebuild that one. The shop had told me that one was throwing a code. It’s no wonder considering all the oil. It’s worth noting too that this DISA looked fine externally while my large DISA’s flap was broken. If I’m not mistake, the small DISA or DISA #2 is located in the same place as single DISA cars in the e90 or e9X family. Since this DISA is located below the crankcase breather valve, it makes sense that oil could end up in there. You’ll have remove the manifold to replace this valve - assuming that your valve is located in the same place. I have a June 2006 330i. I was told that CCV system was changed after the 2006 model year. I am going to replace the valve and the hoses even the hoses look fine.

If someone more knowledgeable has more to add in this topic, I’d appreciate hearing it.

My current project is related to all this can be found here:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672886
Appreciate 0