E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Transmission heat exchanger

01-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
cqtiger
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe e92

Transmission heat exchanger

A few weeks back I took my 2007 335 e92 to a local shop to have some work done. When I picked it up the mechanic and the owner were chatting to me and told me maybe to get my transmission heat exchanger replaced shortly.

They said that inside is a cardboard piece that could fail and damage the transmission. Apparently they replaced one on another BMW after it failed and it cost the owner $8k in repairs.

Apparently you can't replace the cardboard bit as its a sealed unit.

Anyone on here had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:21 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqtiger View Post
A few weeks back I took my 2007 335 e92 to a local shop to have some work done. When I picked it up the mechanic and the owner were chatting to me and told me maybe to get my transmission heat exchanger replaced shortly.

They said that inside is a cardboard piece that could fail and damage the transmission. Apparently they replaced one on another BMW after it failed and it cost the owner $8k in repairs.

Apparently you can't replace the cardboard bit as its a sealed unit.

Anyone on here had this problem?

I would be looking for another shop

Anyone who is charging $8K for a transmission repair is a rip off
Cardboard in the heat exchanger? I don't think so

Maybe a seal, but even if this failed, I can't see how it would get through the transmission oil line and cause catastrophic failure of the transmission

There is a thread listing recommended workshops here on the Aussie Forum, check it out and if concerned take it to someone who knows the N54
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:55 AM   #3
Finngo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
I would be looking for another shop

Anyone who is charging $8K for a transmission repair is a rip off
Cardboard in the heat exchanger? I don't think so

Maybe a seal, but even if this failed, I can't see how it would get through the transmission oil line and cause catastrophic failure of the transmission

There is a thread listing recommended workshops here on the Aussie Forum, check it out and if concerned take it to someone who knows the N54
+1
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 03:55 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

There is no cardboard inside the transmission oil cooler/heat exchanger. The only way this part can ruin the transmission is if there was an internal leak and the two fluids mixed
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
cqtiger
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
There is no cardboard inside the transmission oil cooler/heat exchanger. The only way this part can ruin the transmission is if there was an internal leak and the two fluids mixed
Has anyone had a leak where the two fluids mix?

More so, how often would the heat exchanger fail and what would be the early symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

I know the heat exchanger on the Ford Falcon turbo sixes transmissions were always an issue with internal leaks and it was always recommended that if you were modifying the engine, to replace it with an after market item. However, with the BMW transmission heat exchanger, I have never heard of any issues. When I had my transmission upgraded by Nizpro, I asked Simon whether the heat exchanger needed replacing with an upgraded item and he said no, it didn't. With his experience with modifying both turbo Falcons and the company 335i at one stage, he should know what he is talking about.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
cqtiger
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
I know the heat exchanger on the Ford Falcon turbo sixes transmissions were always an issue with internal leaks and it was always recommended that if you were modifying the engine, to replace it with an after market item. However, with the BMW transmission heat exchanger, I have never heard of any issues. When I had my transmission upgraded by Nizpro, I asked Simon whether the heat exchanger needed replacing with an upgraded item and he said no, it didn't. With his experience with modifying both turbo Falcons and the company 335i at one stage, he should know what he is talking about.
Thanks Coupes
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

First thing you would notice is transmission slipping and other issues, milkshake in the coolant expansion tank. I've never had to replace one either.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 01:29 AM   #9
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

this heat exchanger help to heat up car after star and then to cool AT when it's hot
so you need to monitor AT oil temp and compare it
keep in mind that e46 and e9x do not have it's own AT oil radiator but use that heat exchanger for cooling
the problem is that nobody can sell thermostat which is installed on that heat exchanger as separate part and you have to buy whole assembly