E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Low coolant light

11-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Shawnalston10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i coupe

Low coolant light

I just bought a 2011 335i and it said low coolant on my dash. The "dealership" (not a bmw dealership) I got it from had the coolant filled completely to the top of the expansion tank so I drained A LOT out and got it right in between min and max on my coolant level but the light hasn't gone away. I even tried to bleed the system for air bubbles and put in a new coolant level sensor at the bottom of the tank. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
weehe126
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Wires to the sensor damaged?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #3
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnalston10 View Post
I just bought a 2011 335i and it said low coolant on my dash. The "dealership" (not a bmw dealership) I got it from had the coolant filled completely to the top of the expansion tank so I drained A LOT out and got it right in between min and max on my coolant level but the light hasn't gone away. I even tried to bleed the system for air bubbles and put in a new coolant level sensor at the bottom of the tank. Any thoughts?
The factory tank is known to crack and to be replaced by Rein aftermarket tank for the fraction of the cost. The sensor that comes with the Rein tank fails for about 90% of us, so if the tank has been replaced and it is a Rein one, I would suggest getting a BMW Genuine sensor.
      11-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
Shawnalston10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Quote:
The factory tank is known to crack and to be replaced by Reinz aftermarket tank for the fraction of the cost. The sensor that comes with the Reinz tank fails for about 90% of us, so if the tank has been replaced and it is a Reinz one, I would suggest getting a BMW Genuine sensor.
Quote:
Quote:
The factory tank is known to crack and to be replaced by Reinz aftermarket tank for the fraction of the cost. The sensor that comes with the Reinz tank fails for about 90% of us, so if the tank has been replaced and it is a Reinz one, I would suggest getting a BMW Genuine sensor.
It's the stock tank. Doesn't look like the leaking and the coolant holds where is should be meaning it doesn't lower over time. I'll try to play with the wiring later and see if it's damaged.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

How did you bleed the system? Did you do the self bleeding such as
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...hlight=coolant

I've seen it where air can be in the system and show low coolant even when it looks full. Running the self bleed purges the air and and then will show low in the tank.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
S P A C E M A N
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 Sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The factory tank is known to crack and to be replaced by Rein aftermarket tank for the fraction of the cost. The sensor that comes with the Rein tank fails for about 90% of us, so if the tank has been replaced and it is a Rein one, I would suggest getting a BMW Genuine sensor.
I'm on my second Rein replacement, both giving the low coolant warning in error. Can you install just the BMW OEM sensor, or does the entire expansion tank need to be replaced with OEM?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by S P A C E M A N View Post
I'm on my second Rein replacement, both giving the low coolant warning in error. Can you install just the BMW OEM sensor, or does the entire expansion tank need to be replaced with OEM?
The Rein sensors have a failure rate of 100%. They are pure garbage. It is possible to only replace the sensor and it is very easy.

Here is the sensor part number if you threw out your old one: 17137553919

Here is a quick video that shows you how the sensor can only be mounted one way and easily:

02-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
S P A C E M A N
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The Rein sensors have a failure rate of 100%. They are pure garbage. It is possible to only replace the sensor and it is very easy.

Here is the sensor part number if you threw out your old one: 17137553919

Here is a quick video that shows you how the sensor can only be mounted one way and easily:

This is incredibly helpful...thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
adavid8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

I also have a leak, mine is coming from around where the sensor is - the blue piece on the bottom of the expansion tank. There is also splatter on the engine cover and hoses. Should I get a replacement tank from FCP Euro it's a Rein? And should I also just order a sensor while I'm at it? the sensor brand is Febi.

Last edited by adavid8; 02-12-2020 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Left out details
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
S P A C E M A N
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavid8 View Post
I also have a leak, mine is coming from around where the sensor is - the blue piece on the bottom of the expansion tank. There is also splatter on the engine cover and hoses. Should I get a replacement tank from FCP Euro it's a Rein? And should I also just order a sensor while I'm at it? the sensor brand is Febi.
Do yourself a favor and just get the OEM reservoir, which comes with the OEM sensor. After 2 REIN replacement failures, I finally just got the OEM and it worked immediately with no errors. Whereas the REIN sensor was failing after a few startups, the OEM has been going strong for me for five days with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavid8 View Post
I got a Febi replacement and it cleared up my Rein tank sensor issue.
Appreciate 0