E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 PCV Woes

02-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Hey guys I could use help.

2011 N55 developed a VC gasket leak around 50K miles. No squealing at this time.

I replaced the whole VC to avoid a future PVC failure. No oil leak, but now I have the squealing noise, only once the engine is fully warm.

Thought it was a defective VC (URO Parts from Rock Auto). Got a replacement. Installed replacement. Same issue, just not as loud (for now).

Can I be overlooking something in my installation that would cause this?

What are the chances of two defective brand new units in a row? Seems odd.

I am about to demand a refund and order a genuine BMW VC.

Anything I should check on?

Car has a BMS oil catch can and JB4.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX75F92 View Post

2011 N55 developed a VC gasket leak around 50K miles. No squealing at this time.

I replaced the whole VC to avoid a future PVC failure. No oil leak, but now I have the squealing noise, only once the engine is fully warm.

Thought it was a defective VC (URO Parts from Rock Auto). Got a replacement. Installed replacement. Same issue, just not as loud (for now).

Thanks!
Check front main seal or rear main seal, or maybe you pinching the valve cover gasket when bolting it down... you're leaking air somewhere. If it's from the valve cove itself you would be able to feel a strong vacumm at the little tube... put your finger over it at idle and see if that is what is failed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
AX75F92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX75F92 View Post

Thanks!
Check front main seal or rear main seal, or maybe you pinching the valve cover gasket when bolting it down... you're leaking air somewhere. If it's from the valve cove itself you would be able to feel a strong vacumm at the little tube... put your finger over it at idle and see if that is what is failed.
The barb does not pull suction that I can feel.

Lots of vacuum when I remove the oil fill cap with engine idling.

99.9% sure I didnt pinch the gasket twice in a row.

No oil leaks at valve cover or front/rear main seals.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I wouldn't be surprised if you got two bad valve covers from URO parts. There may have been a defect in the manufacturing that affected an entire lot of parts from which both of your VC's came from.

If they were OEM then I'd be surprised. URO parts makes garbage, at least from their Volvo parts history.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you got two bad valve covers from URO parts. There may have been a defect in the manufacturing that affected an entire lot of parts from which both of your VC's came from.

If they were OEM then I'd be surprised. URO parts makes garbage, at least from their Volvo parts history.
If there is no suction at the barb then the pcv is working fine... and it is not the source of the howling. He has air being sucked in somewhere else which is what makes the noise. Oil cap, front/rear seals, valve cover gasket... spray brake clean in these areas and listen for rpm to rise rapidly.

Could be anything honestly... can't hear the noise through your words. Could it be the belt? Tensioner noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
AX75F92
Private
Rep

Quote:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised either.

I’m almost certain this is the case because with this new VC the sound is much quieter and intermittent. If the VC has nothing to do with the issue then there would be no change in the noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
AX75F92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:

If there is no suction at the barb then the pcv is working fine... and it is not the source of the howling. He has air being sucked in somewhere else which is what makes the noise. Oil cap, front/rear seals, valve cover gasket... spray brake clean in these areas and listen for rpm to rise rapidly.

Could be anything honestly... can't hear the noise through your words. Could it be the belt? Tensioner noise?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VB5...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Interesting... I can't wait to see what it is.. My guess is the belt...
Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      02-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

I just developed this noise on my E70 with the N55 motor. I just replaced the belt tensioner and both idle pulleys about 200 miles before this.

I think it is my pcv in the valve cover but I am scared that you replaced it twice with out it fixing it.
Appreciate 0