E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 No start!

02-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidar14 View Post
I just tried, relay works just fine. Anything else?
Unfortunately, YES!
Hoped it would be that simple but did NOT really expect it would be.
If you heard an audible click when you bench tested it, or got 12V+ at pin 87, then you know how to test for proper relay operation when it is plugged in (you can test for 12V+ at any of the Orange Power Supply wires from the relay to any of the fuses F01 to F04 in the Fuse Carrier, or just test for voltage in ANY of those fuse sockets. Here is DME "Supply" circuit if you want to try to follow it:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/bpRMI2V

Quick way to CAREFULLY confirm that there is a wiring fault which is NOT activating the DME Relay is to apply a jumper from socket 30 to socket 87, JUMPING the relay sockets or completing the circuit as the relay would if properly activated. BE AWARE that Socket for Pin#30 is ALWAYS HOT or battery power, so make sure your jumper wire does NOT contact Ground or you'll have a light (& HEAT) show.

IF what is preventing firing when Starter cranks is lack of DME Relay activation, the engine will NOW start. Of course you DON'T want to LEAVE that jumper in place with engine off, or battery drain or worse will occur.

Refer to RealOEM diagram for proper identification of Relay pins 30 & 87.

OR, other thing you could do to identify wiring fault is:
1) Pull relay partway out of socket so that relay pins are contacting socket metal BUT enough of relay pins are exposed that you can apply a ground wire to pin 85.
2) Make SURE you have correctly identified pin 85, and ONLY apply ground to that pin, as contact of Ground with any OTHER pin will cause a SHORT.
3) If applying ground to that pin causes relay to click, we have identified the problem.
4) Be VERY CAREFUL working with relay pins exposed as electrical short can occur.

Try that and check back.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 02-08-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #24
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

I probably SHOULD have suggested as the first step that you check for 12V+ at Socket #6 of the Relay Socket X6300:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00606/CT86fHie

If NO voltage there, then check fuse F54 on the JB Fuse Panel, located just to LEFT of F55 in this diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...606/1VnYdZZNsj

George
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #25
Haidar14
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I probably SHOULD have suggested as the first step that you check for 12V+ at Socket #6 of the Relay Socket X6300:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00606/CT86fHie

If NO voltage there, then check fuse F54 on the JB Fuse Panel, located just to LEFT of F55 in this diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...606/1VnYdZZNsj

George
Tried everything. Nothing is working. Could it be my cylinders are flooded with gas? Was doing research, one guy said was driving, it got cold overnight, and sat for a few days, and then cylinders were flooded?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #26
Haidar14
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

So I pulled the spark plugs, were very black, I do have a valve cover gasket leak, so one was covered in oil and gas. Others have gas on them. Could it be foul plugs?! Replacing them tommorow
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #27
accordfreak
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328i sedan

Quote:
So I pulled the spark plugs, were very black, I do have a valve cover gasket leak, so one was covered in oil and gas. Others have gas on them. Could it be foul plugs?! Replacing them tommorow
is it running now? what was the problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #28
Preston.Garcia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

A10A EWS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Nothing to do with ignition or valve timing as I presume you are thinking

You may have a problem with electrical power to the CAS module (A0B2).

The other errors could be secondary to the electrical power issue. A10A is "EWS4 timing response/challenge" issue reported by CAS; this is about theft control - the DME and CAS must communicate and exchange a code (SK or ISN) or, while the CAS will allow the starter to function, the DME won't provide fueling or ignition to let the engine start.

A0B4 is the CAS reporting an issue with the starter, basically timing out because you are cranking so much without starting.

Proper diagnosis of this problem will probably involve a serious learning curve for you. Even of the CAS were bad, you cannot just replace it - non-trivial programming is required to mate it with your DME. In any case, the problem may be just a failed relay, fuse (F4 and/or F51 in the junction box) or corroded wire or connector.

Have you tried just clearing the codes with INPA or whatever scan tool you have available?

Any other weird electrical issues like with windshield wipers, interior or exterior lights or the windows?
I have a A10A EWS4 code after replacing the valve cover on my 2008 BMW 328i. The car would crank but not start even with a jump from a truck. I charged the battery overnight because i thought it was that, after a couple failed starts the battery completely died and the trunk locked up as well as no lights or BMW noises when you open the door. Please leave any advice on how to fix this or like you said to get the DME and CAS to communicate ( i don't know how to do that ), anything helps, thanks!

Last edited by Preston.Garcia; 04-26-2020 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: added the "car cranks but doesn't start"
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:54 PM   #29
Preston.Garcia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Nothing to do with ignition or valve timing as I presume you are thinking

You may have a problem with electrical power to the CAS module (A0B2).

The other errors could be secondary to the electrical power issue. A10A is "EWS4 timing response/challenge" issue reported by CAS; this is about theft control - the DME and CAS must communicate and exchange a code (SK or ISN) or, while the CAS will allow the starter to function, the DME won't provide fueling or ignition to let the engine start.

A0B4 is the CAS reporting an issue with the starter, basically timing out because you are cranking so much without starting.

Proper diagnosis of this problem will probably involve a serious learning curve for you. Even of the CAS were bad, you cannot just replace it - non-trivial programming is required to mate it with your DME. In any case, the problem may be just a failed relay, fuse (F4 and/or F51 in the junction box) or corroded wire or connector.

Have you tried just clearing the codes with INPA or whatever scan tool you have available?

Any other weird electrical issues like with windshield wipers, interior or exterior lights or the windows?

I have a A10A EWS4 code after replacing the valve cover on my 2008 BMW 328i. The car would crank but not start even with a jump from a truck. I charged the battery overnight because i thought it was that, after a couple failed starts the battery completely died and the trunk locked up as well as no lights or BMW noises when you open the door. Please leave any advice on how to fix this or like you said to get the DME and CAS to communicate ( i don't know how to do that ), anything helps, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:24 PM   #30
Mrjonathons
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i e90

I’m having a no-start in my e99.

Is it just a bad spark plug issue I’m having?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 06:05 PM   #31
AbuHsn
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan 2011 N47 320d

Quote:
Hi Haidar14.
Did you manage to solve the problem?
Where was the problem and how did you solve it?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 06:06 PM   #32
AbuHsn
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan 2011 N47 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston.Garcia View Post
Hi
I’m having same code for my bmw320d N47. Did you solve it? How?
Plz reply
Thanks.
Appreciate 0