E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Transmission Problems after Mechatronics Replacement

02-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
svagusta
Rep
Drives: Looking for 335i

Transmission Problems after Mechatronics Replacement

Have a 2011 335i 90k miles FBO with PS2 and xHP trans tune that I have owned for about 4 months

No previous problems with the transmission, car would pull hard and never experienced slipping.

Recently went to the dealer to get footwell module replaced under warranty. During replacement they tried to update software on all the modules (standard with service visit) and could not connect to transmission - likely because of xhp tune. They contacted BMW corporate who told them to go ahead and replace mechatronics unit under warranty and retry. Since car has 90k on it, I did not object.

So after I got the car back I reflashed MHD tune, but not xHP right away.
Drove the car maybe twice, and not hard, but still started to experience some slipping. Chalked it up to not having xHP tune to firm up gear changes.

So I just reinstalled xhp stage 3 and got on it about 60% throttle, the 4th-5th gear shift failed and then TCM warning lights come on and safety mode kicked in and i limped home. Surprisingly xHP didnt find any fault codes, but DME threw these error codes

3BD8
3BDD
3BE1
CD8F

I couldnt find much info on these codes, but they all seem to point to a lost signal from the TCM, as opposed to a fault code in the TCM. Anyone experienced these before? Don't know whether to look for a software or hardware problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Supermoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Message directly to xHP on facebook. They got back to me in a few hours.
I'm surprised they covered a MY2011. Do they have an extended warranty on the footwell module?
Pure Stage 1 | GFB DV+ | VRSF Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | MHD Custom tune | xHP Stage 3 | xDelete Sport | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | Manzo Toe arms | M3 Steering wheel | AVIN Android HU
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
svagusta
Rep

xHP has responded and are looking into it.

Yeah, FRM is warrantied for 10 years. I just made the cutoff - April 2010 build
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
svagusta
Rep

still working with xHP, but I really doubt it was caused by the flash. has anyone experienced these codes before?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
svagusta
Rep

xHP seems to think the problem is with the transmission adaptation values. I did not reset adaptations, but it certainly does seem like they've been reset - and I am betting the dealer did so when they replaced the valve body, which is probably the right thing to do.

But now what do I do? I'm afraid to give even 50% throttle.

I have seen the infamous document floating around about the "Relearn Process" after resetting adaptations but I am in the camp that doesn't think it's legitimate. The only place that could be done is an abandoned airport runway. Also, if there is an actual relearn process, shouldn't it be on BMW to perform it before handing it back to the owner?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
TunafishE93
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I would take it back to dealer and have them fix their problem..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:03 AM   #7
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Second that^
Appreciate 0