E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Are rear shocks inferior?

06-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Are rear shocks inferior?

I have noticed with my Koni setup, and even with past suspensions, stock or not, that the rear seems much more, shall I say, slappy? Its like it kicks up more and absorbs bumps much less than the fronts.

Even with my E46 coupe with ZSP, there was this patch of road near my house where there was an offset in the pavement and the front would hit it nicely, but the rear would slap hard off of it.

Any ideas?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I have noticed with my Koni setup, and even with past suspensions, stock or not, that the rear seems much more, shall I say, slappy? Its like it kicks up more and absorbs bumps much less than the fronts.

Even with my E46 coupe with ZSP, there was this patch of road near my house where there was an offset in the pavement and the front would hit it nicely, but the rear would slap hard off of it.

Any ideas?
It is hard to tell what is going on based on your desperation as the symptoms can be at either end of scale for give condition.

Is your car stable going around along modestly rolling bumps freeway exit (at a good speed) or does it feel a bit lose. If it feels fairly tight and is not wallowing then you probably have rebound dampening to stiff.

People tend to set the rear rebound to stiff in general but you really want is just stiff enough to do the job under the condition I mentioned above and is the best single test you can do.

If you running run flat tire ignore sharp bumps for the time being in your test.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The condition Im speaking of is when simply driving down the road. The same rut or bump in the road seems to hit more harshly when the rear tires hit it then when the front tires did.

Could it be that there is less weight on the rears thus making them less "absorbent" over bumps?

Tire pressures are equal front and rear as well.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
The condition Im speaking of is when simply driving down the road. The same rut or bump in the road seems to hit more harshly when the rear tires hit it then when the front tires did.

Could it be that there is less weight on the rears thus making them less "absorbent" over bumps?

Tire pressures are equal front and rear as well.
Okay, you got to narrow it down. You have to be very specific about conditions or you will get it wrong so describe on scenario at a time.

Infor need pre condition:

1. Speed
2. Type of bump - general discription. Its a lot of bumps close together.
3. Give two different speed scenario

Orb
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

OK, I will pay more attention to the conditions as I drive today and I will post later with them.

Thanks for all the help
2020 M340
Appreciate 0