E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Auto Start Stop Failure

08-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RB F15

Auto Start Stop Failure

Hi guys,

Basically my battery went and gave up the ghost so I replaced it, not thinking I fit a non "start stop" battery and the car threw loads of faults.
I returned the battery and refit my old one until the parts shop could get a start stop battery in stock, the old battery miraculously fixed itself and to this day (touch wood) holds charge for ages and is fine to use proved by ignition on and the radio etc works for hours.

I used tool 32 to register a new battery on the car but I still have an "automatic start stop failure" message that comes up every time I start and stop the car,

Just wondering if anyone know how to reset the system or code the system out or anything as resetting the fault doesn't work and it re appears?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Chris.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:43 AM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty1608 View Post
Hi guys,

Basically my battery went and gave up the ghost so I replaced it, not thinking I fit a non "start stop" battery and the car threw loads of faults.
I returned the battery and refit my old one until the parts shop could get a start stop battery in stock, the old battery miraculously fixed itself and to this day (touch wood) holds charge for ages and is fine to use proved by ignition on and the radio etc works for hours.

I used tool 32 to register a new battery on the car but I still have an "automatic start stop failure" message that comes up every time I start and stop the car,

Just wondering if anyone know how to reset the system or code the system out or anything as resetting the fault doesn't work and it re appears?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Chris.
You can't just simply fit a battery on these cars and drive away sadly, the car needs to be informed that its had a replacement battery(requires coding)so that the alternator and the control units can be res et and adjust to their new found (correct power settings)some where like Halfords for instance will just fit a battery and that's it.

Therefore you needs to obtain a AGM spec battery, to the same specification that you currently have. they range from 70aH to say 90aH BMW battery's for instance cost between £139.71+VAT to around £165.71+VAT, you can buy S5/S6 from places like Euro's, the Euro's supplied battery's will have a better warranty,

BMW's only come with a 24 month warranty, but on the battery front get the numbers off the OEM current battery before ordering from Euro's (they usually want to know the size of the battery in terms length width etc.-but the part number should sort this issue out)

Coding wise if it is done correctly and everything is initialised you should be OK, but after market tyre equipment wise for registering battery I have no idea only know BMW ISTA, Autologic
      08-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

If you've got tool32 you should have INPA as well...

Do a full scan for fault codes, there should be something logged which explains why it has disabled auto-stop-start.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you to both of you for your responses!

Steve - tool 32 was used to instate the new battery and the original battery went on so I know the spec is currently ok with the battery but this may be a cause I'm not sure

Aragorn- it's a friend of mine who does all my coding so I'll get him to run his software for me he does have INPA as I've seen him on it before so I'll try and get that done in the next couple of days and report back with the fault codes if you could help with them?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Thank you to both of you for your responses!

Steve - tool 32 was used to instate the new battery and the original battery went on so I know the spec is currently ok with the battery but this may be a cause I'm not sure

Aragorn- it's a friend of mine who does all my coding so I'll get him to run his software for me he does have INPA as I've seen him on it before so I'll try and get that done in the next couple of days and report back with the fault codes if you could help with them?

Thanks guys
I wouldn't know about INPA as I've never seen it in operation I've only seen ISIS(Gen BMW) and AutoLogic in operation but kinda get the gist of what you've done. But if say if your replacing like for like usually you'd still register the battery
      08-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys,
Just done a quick code read on my car via INPA

It has the listed faults as follows;

416F (DME/DDE module)
4B2D (DME/DDE module)
4A6E (DME/DDE module)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm selling the car now so need to sort the faults,
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

416F is something to do with neutral sensor.

4B2D is "MSR Activation"

4A6E is glow plug on cylinder 1.

The first fault will probably be the issue with your start-stop system.

no idea what the second one is

third one is just a faulty glow plug.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
416F is something to do with neutral sensor.

4B2D is "MSR Activation"

4A6E is glow plug on cylinder 1.

The first fault will probably be the issue with your start-stop system.

no idea what the second one is

third one is just a faulty glow plug.
Hi,
Appreciate the reply!
I'll get the neutral sensor looked at tomorrow then and see if it sorts anything!!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

As far as I know 461F is for your start stop and could be related to:

- Clutch pedal travel switch failure
- Battery charge level critical
- Voltage Quality Module fuse failure (VQM)
-Gear neutral sensor failure
- Brake pressure problem

If it was fine before you battery problems then the smart money is that it's battery related. What voltage is your battery holding?

Have you actually cleared the faults since having a correct battery installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 04:06 AM   #10
Shorty1608
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
As far as I know 461F is for your start stop and could be related to:

- Clutch pedal travel switch failure
- Battery charge level critical
- Voltage Quality Module fuse failure (VQM)
-Gear neutral sensor failure
- Brake pressure problem

If it was fine before you battery problems then the smart money is that it's battery related. What voltage is your battery holding?

Have you actually cleared the faults since having a correct battery installed?
Thanks for the reply, I checked battery voltages and cleared the faults but they re appeared instantly on start up,
I got the neutral sensor checked and the garage fixed it for me and said that was the fault, all reset and ok again now!
Thanks for all the replies guys
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Volkswagen1200
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 318d SE

Auto Start Stop

My car has Auto Start Stop but it never seems to stop when I stop the car and put the handbrake on. I expect the engine to cut out when I put the gear stick in neutral but it dosn't? Why would this be?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #12
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkswagen1200 View Post
My car has Auto Start Stop but it never seems to stop when I stop the car and put the handbrake on. I expect the engine to cut out when I put the gear stick in neutral but it dosn't? Why would this be?
There are a lot of parameters that prevent Auto Stop / Start activating, such as engine temp, I think there's a fairly comprehensive list in the handbook, but be grateful because ASS is sooo annoying, I switch it off as soon as I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

Having the right voltage does not necessarily mean that the stop-start will work. The available amps is also important. If it is a 90amp battery the stop- start requires say 70 amp available to work. Old batteries will show over 12volts but will have low amps available.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #14
Volkswagen1200
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 318d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkswagen1200 View Post
I will be greatful for small measures, lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
fuscoe82
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82 120d

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I checked battery voltages and cleared the faults but they re appeared instantly on start up,
I got the neutral sensor checked and the garage fixed it for me and said that was the fault, all reset and ok again now!
Thanks for all the replies guys
I know this is an old thread but just to get an idea of price, How much did this cost for neutral sensor reset? I think this is the issue with mine
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #16
gaffasbm
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320d n47 lci msport

Garage List
1989 325i  [0.00]
2009 320d  [0.00]
I have the same issue . i have done a scan and i have a problem with my brake vacuum sensor. this is the cause to why my stop start isnt working .
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #17
surrey130i
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i convertible

There is a fuse or module for stop start which is about £60 from BMW.
A battery change can affect this.
I have had to change these on 2 x Lci' models after a battery change (which was not coded to the car).
I cant remember what the code was but it came up on the dash with the steering lock warning lamp but was nothing to do with this, it was just the stop start controller.

Its shite like this that spoils what is an otherwise good car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #18
MACKENZIE2576
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 LCI

Anyone fix this issue
Appreciate 0