E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to safely remove upper radiator hose? Cutting wheel?

02-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

How to safely remove upper radiator hose? Cutting wheel?

I am working on SIMPLE replacement of upper radiator hose (failed when the plastic quick connect by the block cracked). However this simple job is not going so well because of the stupid stuck o-ring problem others have mentioned repeatedly. I managed to get 2 of the 3 quick connects off by a combination of twisting side to side with a channel-lock, tapping with a plastic pry bar... but I am stuck on the quick connect at the radiator, which doesn't want to rotate at all, and looks like it's attached to another plastic (i.e., easy to break) fitting from the radiator.

I was considering trying to use a cut-off wheel, or even just an exact-o knive to slice through the quick connect plastic. Has anyone been successful with this method?

Also, once they are disconnect, what is the appropriate solvent to use to clean off the residue from the old o-ring, and what is thestuff right lubricant to use on the new o-ring (e.g., little bit of old engine oil?)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Have you tried hitting it with PB Blaster or WD40? Let it soak in for few hours if you can. If you attempt this place shop rags in the open hole of the radiator to catch excess liquid going in.

I think a little bit of lithium grease should do fine on reinstall but honestly to too sure if they are to be installed dry or not.