E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brakes squeaking

11-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTek Will View Post
This brake squeak is not actually the pads. This squeak that everyone is complaining about is coming from the hand brake. However, it is not the actual braking motion of the hand brake. The hand brakes are drum brakes. The cause of this problem is the way the shoes are seated and they actually rub against the side retaining plate (don't know what it's called). To fix this the rotor needs to come off and the shoe needs to be removed and you will see that the retaining plate* has a few contact points with the shoe. These contacts points should be scraped down to the metal, or rusted. File these areas down and grease them up really well. This should fix the squeaking noise.

Here's the link to the guy that found out how to fix it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365
The Bentley manual does in fact say to apply grease on those points.

I am really like this stuff and put it on everything that makes contact, but is not sliding.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very thick non-hardening stuff in a chapstick like applicator. It's like soft wax. Like it better than grease for this, feel it'll work better to deaden vibration noise.

For the stuff that moves, I used Plasti-lube.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcExSpades View Post
While driving, of course my brakes weren't squeaking for jack
Story of my life. Buy a new car for $50,000+ but it sounds like a 1970's shopping cart, and magically no service shops can hear it. Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #25
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
I have got a better idea, minimize the use of your brakes by using more engine braking...
This actually works the best out of anything I've tried. They still squeak like an old worthless sh*tbox right before you stop, conveniently.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:13 AM   #26
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Clean your car! BMW brakes dust like a mofo. The stock pads bite decently but they create brake dust rather quick. Either wash your car and blast your brake system, get an air compressor or switch pads to a less dusty compound.
      08-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #27
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

You gotta take your wheels/brakes off and grind that crap off with a wire wheel. Carwashes & Brake Cleaner don't do the job.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Could you guys look at this vid I took and tell me if this is the same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua294Rpt2Yk

Been at the dealership 5 times now with no resolution.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #29
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Does it do this at higher speeds, or just at this low speed as you stop?

To be honest, I doubt that most dealers apply proper anti-squeal paste (I use the good old fashioned copper grease or "copper-slip") for this. Years ago, the dealer replaced all brakes pads on my car, and not too long after, there was a squeal and an annoying bump sound everytime I braked go back or forwards. Decided to pull everything apart to inspect - no anti-squeal paste, and they didn't even bother to clean anything to begin with. Cleaned everything, applied the copper grease where necessary, and this sorted (improved) it. I do still often get that annoying low speed off brake pedal squeal. And yes, accumulated brake dust does seem to affect brake squeal on mine.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #30
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

It's funny you mention going backwards/forwards and getting a sound. I also made this video

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLZa9gsEVeo[/u2b]

Is that the same?

The squeal is when at low speeds like going through a drive through.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #31
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
It's funny you mention going backwards/forwards and getting a sound. I also made this video

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLZa9gsEVeo[/u2b]

Is that the same?

The squeal is when at low speeds like going through a drive through.
I think that noise is pretty normal sometimes. When the wheels are barely turning and the brakes are being applied, it's just the friction material and the disks grabbing a little bit. After the new brakes were fitted, did you perform the typical brake bedding in procedure? The knocking noise that I am talking about is also usually accompanied by the sensation of something shifting when it happens. And that is pretty much exactly what happens - there is every so slightly some play between the callipers and the brake pads, and what happens is that typically you are braking going forwards and therefore the brake pads are orientated in the callipers as such, the moment you reverse and brake, they shift (first knock which may not be so noticeable since you reverse and brake slowly), then the next time you brake going forwards, you hear and feel that unpleasant knock. The cause for this is 99% due to the lack of an anti-squeal paste which means that the pads are moving around easily and vibration (squealing) - well, dust behind the pads against the callipers can also cause the squealing.

Apart from the noises at these low speeds, the brakes are fairly quiet? If so, I would just insist that they apply some anti-squeal paste if they have not done this to begin with, or if DIY if you prefer like me.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #32
b8b
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i & '08 E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Apart from the noises at these low speeds, the brakes are fairly quiet? If so, I would just insist that they apply some anti-squeal paste if they have not done this to begin with, or if DIY if you prefer like me.
Where do you get this anti-squeal paste? How do you apply it?

My 2008 135i has newer brakes and squeal's at low speed... drives me nuts, almost embarrassing for an otherwise amazing car.
Appreciate 0