E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help with possible injector leaking.

11-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Nazrac
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Slushbox

Help with possible injector leaking.

So I think I have an injector leaking or possibly more, but some symptoms don't seem to add up. First never has a problem starting in the morning, and its cold at least imho (was 30 F this morning.) But this is where things make me think it is a problem; I have an ELM327 and if I monitor fuel rail pressure after I shut down it drops very fast down to 200 psi and then very slowly down to 90 psi after a good time. Next the oil level magically went up, could be something else but its odd. There is no loss of coolant and it looks good from what I can see in the expansion tank. If I pull the oil cap off, or well at least out of the way, it kinda smells like fuel but I don't have a good sense of smell and really even my LS1 has what I think of as fuel smell under the oil cap. Power delivery is good and it idles smooth at least I perceive it as smooth but I am coming from a cammed LS1 with no cats and SLP loudmouth exhaust, so anything seems smooth and quiet comparatively. I would think that if an injector is leaking that bad I should have a rough start and Idle. LTFT is 0% and STFT on one bank flops back and forth between a small <1% negative and positive value. Bank 2 flops back and forth but the swing goes as high as 2%. I plan on pulling the injectors and doing a leak test the best I can; is there a way to run the HPFP without cranking the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Nazrac
Rep

Not that I have any bites, but oil level sensor might be bad. On the way home the oil level magically went back to mid level. On a side note I pulled the beauty cover and saw I have index 1 injectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Does it misfire at all?
Throwing any codes?
Pull the sparkplugs and see if any are wet and smell like fuel.
      11-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Nazrac
Rep

No misfires no codes starts fine, my oil level is all over the place and I think my OFHG needs replacing as there is a very small trace of oil on the front of the engine and on the belly. But Valve cover gasket looks good no oil on the side tray. I think the valve cover gasket has been replaced. Can oil mess up the oil reading if it gets into the connector? Oh how I miss a dip stick.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Best thing to do is a leak test if you are unsure of the injectors.
Check the spark plugs while you there for signs of leaking injectors.

I don't know about your oil level going up and down but if it was me I would drain it and refill as you cant be sure how much is in there.
      11-29-2018, 03:33 AM   #6
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Best thing to do is a leak test if you are unsure of the injectors.
Check the spark plugs while you there for signs of leaking injectors.
+1 could not agree more.
With the well know issues with these injectors. Any sign of misfire just pull out all the plugs 1st before spending money replacing coilpack or spark plugs.

I had misfire on 3 occasion over 3+ years of ownership and each time found a black spark plug smelling of fuel.
Replaced the injector and spark on that cylinder and fixed the issue.
For 2 of the injectors i did not even get a EML,

With 3 injectors now index 11..just waiting for a misfire on the last injector..anytime soon
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Nazrac
Rep

So I went to pull out the plugs and change the oil, but wouldn't you know it, I need a tool to do spark plugs. So it on order, but the oil according to my wife and daughter, smelled odd but not like fuel, I lost my sense of smell in a car wreck when I was a kid. I only got 6 quarts out, probably because I didn't warm it up enough. So I am feeling good about this so far. Two other notes, one I discovered that I have 5 index 1's and 1 index 9, second a buddy @ work drives a N55 335i and his fuel pressure drops off after shutdown as well, even faster than mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazrac View Post
So I went to pull out the plugs and change the oil, but wouldn't you know it, I need a tool to do spark plugs. So it on order, but the oil according to my wife and daughter, smelled odd but not like fuel, I lost my sense of smell in a car wreck when I was a kid. I only got 6 quarts out, probably because I didn't warm it up enough. So I am feeling good about this so far. Two other notes, one I discovered that I have 5 index 1's and 1 index 9, second a buddy @ work drives a N55 335i and his fuel pressure drops off after shutdown as well, even faster than mine.
Thats pretty impressive if your car still running on index 1, you had a good run

Those injectors have moved to version 12 on N55 engines.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:25 AM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazrac View Post
So I think I have an injector leaking or possibly more, but some symptoms don't seem to add up. First never has a problem starting in the morning, and its cold at least imho (was 30 F this morning.) But this is where things make me think it is a problem; I have an ELM327 and if I monitor fuel rail pressure after I shut down it drops very fast down to 200 psi and then very slowly down to 90 psi after a good time. Next the oil level magically went up, could be something else but its odd. There is no loss of coolant and it looks good from what I can see in the expansion tank. If I pull the oil cap off, or well at least out of the way, it kinda smells like fuel but I don't have a good sense of smell and really even my LS1 has what I think of as fuel smell under the oil cap. Power delivery is good and it idles smooth at least I perceive it as smooth but I am coming from a cammed LS1 with no cats and SLP loudmouth exhaust, so anything seems smooth and quiet comparatively. I would think that if an injector is leaking that bad I should have a rough start and Idle. LTFT is 0% and STFT on one bank flops back and forth between a small <1% negative and positive value. Bank 2 flops back and forth but the swing goes as high as 2%. I plan on pulling the injectors and doing a leak test the best I can; is there a way to run the HPFP without cranking the car?
What codes are you getting ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
Nazrac
Rep

No codes on elm scanner and my one time carly scan showed only a LPFP prrssure code. Nothing else except the flapper code, I unplugged it to see how it sounded, plugged it back in because why do I need that sound when cruising. I also got my plug socket in last night so I will pull the plugs this weekend, I am starting to think there's nothing wrong. But where is the pressure going? Backflow into the tank?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
+1 could not agree more.
With the well know issues with these injectors. Any sign of misfire just pull out all the plugs 1st before spending money replacing coilpack or spark plugs.

I had misfire on 3 occasion over 3+ years of ownership and each time found a black spark plug smelling of fuel.
Replaced the injector and spark on that cylinder and fixed the issue.
For 2 of the injectors i did not even get a EML,

With 3 injectors now index 11..just waiting for a misfire on the last injector..anytime soon
Oh, that's nice that injectors fail one by one. I had a feeling you had to buy all 6 at once since parts website sell all 6 as a kit. That helps the wallet if ever it happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
Thats pretty impressive if your car still running on index 1, you had a good run

Those injectors have moved to version 12 on N55 engines.
I think 335is (still have N54) also have index 12.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 12-05-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Leaking injectors will have a nasty idle after a cold start..thats a very tale tale sign. Misifires too..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Leaking injectors will have a nasty idle after a cold start..thats a very tale tale sign. Misifires too..
Unless its only one injector leaking then its hard to tell during idle.
Best to check the plugs for fouling and smelling of fuel
      12-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #14
Nazrac
Rep

Finally got some time to pull some plugs. Wouldn't you know it the index 9 is leaking, but all the index 1's are fine. Go figure.
Appreciate 0