E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > TPMS Inactive

03-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
KT87
Rep
Drives: 328XI

TPMS Inactive

Hey guys so I have been having an issue with my TPMS. About a year ago it came on for the first time. It would come and go for a few months. Sometimes it would come on after a fews days and other time I would go weeks without it coming on. Then, I went about 10 months without it coming on. Now, since about December it has come on and off about 8 times. Again, sometimes after a few days and more recently after 3 weeks.

I brought it to and indy last month and they diagnosed it as being a faulty TPMS module. They changed it out about 3 weeks ago and today it came on for the first time.

Any idea as what could be the cause? Could it be a wheel sensor? If so, wouldn't they have checked that first? Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, F10, F30 and F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT87 View Post
Hey guys so I have been having an issue with my TPMS. About a year ago it came on for the first time. It would come and go for a few months. Sometimes it would come on after a fews days and other time I would go weeks without it coming on. Then, I went about 10 months without it coming on. Now, since about December it has come on and off about 8 times. Again, sometimes after a few days and more recently after 3 weeks.

I brought it to and indy last month and they diagnosed it as being a faulty TPMS module. They changed it out about 3 weeks ago and today it came on for the first time.

Any idea as what could be the cause? Could it be a wheel sensor? If so, wouldn't they have checked that first? Thanks in advance for any help!
I've been getting the inactive message periodically from my 2011 e90. I took my car to the local tire center and they checked all four tire pressure monitors and the batteries were low on all four sensors. I just ordered a brand new set online for $160 and will have them installed next week.
Appreciate 1
KT870.00
      03-16-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
KT87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by culto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT87 View Post

I've been getting the inactive message periodically from my 2011 e90. I took my car to the local tire center and they checked all four tire pressure monitors and the batteries were low on all four sensors. I just ordered a brand new set online for $160 and will have them installed next week.
Thank you for the reply! I also have a 2011 e90. I am going to have to get my sensors checked. Sounds like a low battery could be my issue. Wish the indy would have checked that first instead of assuming it was the TPMS module.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

You can do away with the whole TPMS system and activate the FTM system built into every e90.

FTM utilizes the DSC hardware to monitor the rotational speed of each wheel. When a tire loses air it's diameter changes slightly which changes the speed. FTM will let you know when a tire loses about 5psi. A very nice thing for those of us with multiple sets of wheels.

1) Unplug the RDC module
2) With NCSExpert, remove $2VB from VO, add $265.
3) After writing the VO to CAS/NFRM, default code CAS, KOMBI, DSC, CIC

Plenty of threads on this
Appreciate 1
KT870.00
      03-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
KT87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
You can do away with the whole TPMS system and activate the FTM system built into every e90.

FTM utilizes the DSC hardware to monitor the rotational speed of each wheel. When a tire loses air it's diameter changes slightly which changes the speed. FTM will let you know when a tire loses about 5psi. A very nice thing for those of us with multiple sets of wheels.

1) Unplug the RDC module
2) With NCSExpert, remove $2VB from VO, add $265.
3) After writing the VO to CAS/NFRM, default code CAS, KOMBI, DSC, CIC

Plenty of threads on this
Thank you for info! I didn't know that was possible. I will look into that if I cannot fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
KT87
Rep

*Update*

I wanted to update everyone incase others are having similar issues. I brought my car back to the mechanic to check for any cuts in the wires or other codes. He said everything looked good so he suspected a faulty tpms sensor. I brought the car to my local tire shop today. They checked all four sensors with their scanner and found all four to be working fine. They said if the battery was low it would have indicated it which it did not. They also said if there is too much air in the tires (above factory recommended) it could possible cause an issue. For now I am going to leave it as is and see if the light comes on again. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had the same issue and there was no indication of a low battery.

My indi found one bad sensor and three low batteries.

After he replaced all the error went away.
Appreciate 1
KT870.00