E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Where to connect dashcam ACC wire in trunk

07-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
coobraa
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Where to connect dashcam ACC wire in trunk

Hello everybody,

I would like to buy a dashcam and use it with parking mode.

1. I know that I have to connect it straight to the battery because the IBS is regularly monitoring the current which is consumed by the car during the rest phase and if it mesures more than 80mA, it will log the fault. The camera I am interested in, consumes 300mA during the parking mode so I have to baypass the IBS.

2. I know that I should use the battery discharge prevention device, which monitore the voltage, and shut down the connection when it exceeds e.g. 12V. I choose one and it has 3 wires:
- B+ which should be connected to the constant 12V (in my situation directly to the battery)
- GND which should be connected to the ground.
- ACC which should be connected to the circuit, which is active only when the ignition is on.

In my E92 the battery is in the trunk. Where can I connect the ACC wire in the trunk? I know that I could use the wires in the rear console (where there are the A/C and cigarette lighter for the back passengers) but it's inside the cabin.
What about the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
coobraa
Registered
Rep

up
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
My installer was able to hardwire it successfully, with parking mode working, by tapping fuses near the glovebox.

Not sure what exactly he tapped. Definitely needed a power magic pro or other similar device.

You can even get batteries for the dash cam that you can plug into fusebox, which might help further.
      08-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
coobraa
Registered
Rep

Thank you. If only you would know where exactly he connected the wires...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coobraa View Post
Have you thought about tapping onto the red plastic-capped positive boost/charging lead in the engine bay? This may be easier. If you look at this lead, it has two neighboring (and interconnected) 10mm nuts - either of which you can attach a positive wire to with a crimped-on ring connector. There is a ground lead nearby, also with a 10mm nut.

The above is how I hard-wired my battery maintainer, for winter storage. It is live all the time and just connects to the rear battery via a car-length cable.

You would just have to feed your wires through a firewall grommet - there are a couple that you could use.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coobraa View Post
There are posts on here which tell you the fuses that have constant power.

That's where I located them when I needed a constant for my aftermarket stereo. Don't expect installers to know the specifics of our car when they work on hundreds of different models.

Many fuses that appear to be constant go to sleep after 30 mins or so, so you defo want to make sure you get a "true" constant.
      08-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
coobraa
Registered
Rep

Thank you guys for the answers, but I think we have some missunderstandings here.

I read somewhere that if I want the parking mode, I have to connect my cam straight to the battery, because the IBS is regularly monitoring the current which is consumed by the car during the rest phase and if it mesures more than 80mA, it will log the fault. The camera I am interested in, consumes 300mA during the parking mode so I have to baypass the IBS.
So I need to take the constant power from the battery, not from the fuse box.

The camera has also the ACC wire, which should be connected to the circuit, which is active only when the ignition is on. And for this one, of course I can use the fuse box, but then, I will have to put the ACC wire from the trunk to the fuse box in the front of the car (passenger glove box).

And my question was if there is an alternative where I can connect the ACC wire, which is closer to the trunk.

P.S. Sorry That I respond after 8 days but I was on my holidays.

Last edited by coobraa; 08-26-2018 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0