E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335d Transmission problem! Please Help...

06-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
AFF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11 7 Series - Sapphire Black

335d Transmission problem! Please Help...

I have a 355 Diesel Auto 2007 and had the battery die on me a few days ago, the problem seems to have occurred since then. Currently it is not changing gear when driven in D, It tends to only drive in the shown M gear (e.g. M2 or M3) displayed on the dash and won't allow me to manually change gear via the flappy paddles. When auto transmission gear leaver is set to the left (M/S), the vehicle goes into DS mode (ie changes to DS on the dash). In this mode the vehicle does change gear which seems odd.

I had an OBC computer plugged into the vehicle this morning and the 'technician' managed to get a fault code 5087, "touch or M gate switch".

In M/S the car is changing gear as normal so seems to be more electrical than mechanical.

I would highly appreciate it if any one could please help,

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Laggrider
Registered
Rep
Drives: Prius

Did you resolve this? I'm having the exact issue! Code 5087, when I put it into drive it automatically switches to M1, won't shift past M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFF View Post
I have a 355 Diesel Auto 2007 and had the battery die on me a few days ago, the problem seems to have occurred since then. Currently it is not changing gear when driven in D, It tends to only drive in the shown M gear (e.g. M2 or M3) displayed on the dash and won't allow me to manually change gear via the flappy paddles. When auto transmission gear leaver is set to the left (M/S), the vehicle goes into DS mode (ie changes to DS on the dash). In this mode the vehicle does change gear which seems odd.

I had an OBC computer plugged into the vehicle this morning and the 'technician' managed to get a fault code 5087, "touch or M gate switch".

In M/S the car is changing gear as normal so seems to be more electrical than mechanical.

I would highly appreciate it if any one could please help,

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

me too...same deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggrider View Post
Did you resolve this? I'm having the exact issue! Code 5087, when I put it into drive it automatically switches to M1, won't shift past M2.
I have the exact same problem.
When in D mode, the car goes permanently into M2 and won't shift.
When in DS mode, it shifts but not at good points.

Updated all system software with Dealership official BMW equipment. All ecu and modules updated. Did not fix it.

This happened after installing a remanufactured TCU/ Transmission. The transmission hardware is flawless, but the TCU will not recognize the paddles and my trouble started when I followed recommendations to reset EGS.

Initially, the transmission worked perfectly with the exception of the lack of paddle shifters. Then I followed instructions to reset EGS and that was two weeks ago...and today after $250 at dealer updating all modules we got a

"0X5087 (20615)(0X64): EGS: Hardware inputs one-touch function" fault.

The tech says that it is mostly likely that the TCU was remanufactured and programmed properly but it originally was not from a paddle shifter car and so cannot ever be programmed to interface with shifters... but the transmission builder says the unit was from a paddle shifter car.

I am stumped. Sent all data to transmisison builder and will await advice or warranty recommendations.

VT
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
Esixty1
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matreyia View Post
I have the exact same problem.
When in D mode, the car goes permanently into M2 and won't shift.
When in DS mode, it shifts but not at good points.

Updated all system software with Dealership official BMW equipment. All ecu and modules updated. Did not fix it.

This happened after installing a remanufactured TCU/ Transmission. The transmission hardware is flawless, but the TCU will not recognize the paddles and my trouble started when I followed recommendations to reset EGS.

Initially, the transmission worked perfectly with the exception of the lack of paddle shifters. Then I followed instructions to reset EGS and that was two weeks ago...and today after $250 at dealer updating all modules we got a

"0X5087 (20615)(0X64): EGS: Hardware inputs one-touch function" fault.

The tech says that it is mostly likely that the TCU was remanufactured and programmed properly but it originally was not from a paddle shifter car and so cannot ever be programmed to interface with shifters... but the transmission builder says the unit was from a paddle shifter car.

I am stumped. Sent all data to transmisison builder and will await advice or warranty recommendations.

VT
Did you get to the bottom of this? I've just finished putting a replacement engine and gearbox in my 08 335i, and although I haven't yet taken it for a proper drive, I'm getting the same error as you. Did the dealer recode your the transmission VIN at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91

Incase anyone stumbles upon this issues, the fix is a simple one.

In ncs under was there is an option called paddles with wert 00 01 02. Try all 3 and one will fix you issue. Don't forget to clear transmission adaptations and dme variant. Then let the car sleep until the stop start switch does not illuminate, usually a few mins.

Cheere
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
BeGood69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, black, JB4 G5

I am having the 5087 code too..
At 1st I thought it was the shifter wires but they r not seccionned.. no repairs needed there. I have another 335xi swap shifters and still no go.. so eliminated that issues from been the shifter.
Mine good on D and shift no issues... I can paddle shift M1-6 no issues but no DS mode .. 🤔

So bimaextremeretro, NCS under what ? U forgot to put it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaExtremeRetro View Post
Incase anyone stumbles upon this issues, the fix is a simple one.

In ncs under was there is an option called paddles with wert 00 01 02. Try all 3 and one will fix you issue. Don't forget to clear transmission adaptations and dme variant. Then let the car sleep until the stop start switch does not illuminate, usually a few mins.

Cheere
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
BeGood69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, black, JB4 G5

5087 code no DS mode

Same as u.. but my symptoms, D1-6/M1-6... but no DS.
same code 5087.
not the shiefter as you I checked wires, swap with my 2 other cars. and not change.
i was wondering if mayde DS correspondant solenoid if one could b the issue.
i am getting desperate.. I NEED my DS mode with the ST setup and the HUGE turbo I have ..
someone please help... Ideas?
thx
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep

just recode the tcu and try those paddle options I gave you man.
don't forget to reset dme variants and allow sleep mode. it will fix the issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
don't forget to reset dme variants and allow sleep mode. it will fix the issues.
You gave them specific information and they still wine and cry help.. WTF
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Quote:
I get resetting DME and EGS adaptations for this, but what is the sleep mode for? Is it to power down DME and EGS so they start up with the new coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I get resetting DME and EGS adaptations for this, but what is the sleep mode for? Is it to power down DME and EGS so they start up with the new coding?
kinda. it's more the dme variant rather than coding.
dme variants have a requirement to enter sleep mode before storing the new data.
if your inpatient like me you can force sleep mode using tool32
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
aszakacs77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Hi
I have a similar problem too and wondering if anyone could help?
I recently done a service on the gearbox and since then it won’t go into sport or manual mode at all. Car drives fine no issues at all in d all gears are fine
Anyone know what it could be? Struggling to find a clear answer
TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d e90 LCI M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aszakacs77 View Post
Hi
I have a similar problem too and wondering if anyone could help?
I recently done a service on the gearbox and since then it won’t go into sport or manual mode at all. Car drives fine no issues at all in d all gears are fine
Anyone know what it could be? Struggling to find a clear answer
TIA
I hade the exact same issue too when I replaced transmission.Follow BimmExtreretro advice as it fixed mine. Just make sure you let the car go to sleep fully by turning off, removing key and moving away from the car so it can go to sleep properly. You cannot be in the same area as the car as it gets a reading from the fob and wont go to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
aszakacs77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Hi
I also have a similar issue I have a 2006 330d and since I changed the oil+filter+the valve sleeves the box will not go into DS or Manual mode at all but drives fine in full D mode
Faults that are coming up are the 5087 mgate switch and an other unknown fault code
Before the oil change worked completely fine, all the cables seem fine too at the shifter
Wondering if anyone sorted this?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #15
BimaExtremeRetro
Banned
Rep

zf6 and 8 always fail not long after someone decides on routine mauntenance. most common reasons.
1. incorrect procedure
2. incorrect oil causing short
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #16
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
zf6 and 8 always fail not long after someone decides on routine mauntenance. most common reasons.
1. incorrect procedure
2. incorrect oil causing short
Causing short ? Can you please elaborate. You mean the additives are causing electrical shorts inside the transmission ?

Incorrect procedure makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #17
Ramramo
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328 2007

Guys i have a similar problem on my 328i 2007. i replaced my GM tranmission (automatic) with the same GM 6l45 transmission, but that transmission was taken from a 328i but 2009 year model car. everything works great except the ds mode. it engages in DS mode and works fine for 40-50 seconds when i start the car and then it reverts itself in D mode, it does the same on each start. i changed my normal steering wheel with a paddle shifter one, because the 2009 328i had a paddle shifter, did not fix. then i checked the wires in the shift assembly and all the wires seems okay, then i tried a new shift assembly from the 2009 328i model, still did not fix. I would really appreciate if anyone could help. i've been trying to fix this for 2 weeks already.

P.S sorry for non excellent english. Hope you can understand the situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #18
Monstere92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 335i coupe

Garage List
2014 Bmw m5  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335i coupe  [0.00]
Any update?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #19
Mrangel135)4
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

I’m having the same issue here stock tcu stock tranny. I coded it using wert 00(it came with 01) and I got my sport back but zero paddle shifters again this is the stock tranny shifter and everything my next step is to take it to the dealership ...
2008 Bmw 535i with sport SAT
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #20
papu84
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

i did it work this way

i just had this problem on a e90 and after driving on D the M3 2 1 appear and the gears won`t change. i ended up updating software on DDE, kombi and egs but that did not sort the problem. After that i have coded with Ncsexper the EGS with PADDLES pharameter from wert_00 to wert_01. i had just disabled the M/S mode from the gearbox and now evrything is ok except if you pull the lever to M/S does not do nothing but i don`t mind since i never use M/S.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0