E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > M5 i-Drive button on e92

05-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #45
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-G...spagenameZWDVW

lol $110 for a knob? Yea okkkkkk
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #46
Wiredless
E92 335i owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

update

At last success! I sprayed it with WD-40, let it seat a while then bothered it some more with a screwdriver to even out the oil...after 10 minutes more of play...I finally managed to get out the metal part...with minimal damage to the original knob...

They used a black elastic kind of glue wich is a pain in the a$$ to get out.

Although the good thing with that is that the glue residue helps the metal part to stick nicely inside the B&O aluminum M5 knob.

The result is beautifull and well worth the trouble in my opinion. Diameter of the new knob is much larger and helps the ergonomics of use.

The whole thing seats a bit higher than the OEM E92 knob but I consider this a plus...pushing down on it to operate seems firmer.

UPDATE: After you finish you must push the new knob (with the metal part firmly inside) into the plastic axle of the idrive until you hear a good click sound..then it's OK. I'm very pleased with the look but most importantly with the feel and ergonomics of this mod. Highly recommended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredless View Post
Got the M5 idrive button and tried last night to do the mod as described...to no success so far. The metal part is a pain to take out without destroying the aluminum part of the E92 knob.

Question to the OP and to others that succeeded:

Did you have to destroy the knob to take out the metal part? (mine has already 3 small bumps visible from the outside..don't bother me though)

Is it glued and would some dissolvant or WD-40 help the process?

I tried really hard but it seems to be glued...any tricks or pictures to show how you did it?

Thank you for the feedback!

Last edited by Wiredless; 06-10-2008 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #47
330iTiAg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

So, you used an M5 knob and not the new M3 knob -- correct? I have the new M3 knob and it is not a direct replacement for the E9X. You can snap it directly onto the E9X iDrive hub, but the knob sits too high. From the side, you can see the white plastic hub underneath. Looks retarted. I'll post some pictures later. Plus, there is a slight difference in the color between the M3 knob and my brushed aluminum trim. I think the brushed aluminum trim in the M3 is called blue-gray or something (which might explain the difference in color).

The M3 knob has a clear plastic adapter glued inside. Did the M5 knob have this too. I don't think the DIY mentions having to remove anything from the inside of the M5 knob. Please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredless View Post
At last success! I sprayed it with WD-40, let it seat a while then bothered it some more with a screwdriver to even out the oil...after 10 minutes more of play...I finally managed to get out the metal part...with minimal damage to the original knob...

They used a black elastic kind of glue wich is a pain in the a$$ to get out.

Although the good thing with that is that the glue residue helps the metal part to stick nicely inside the B&O aluminum M5 knob.

The result is beautifull and well worth the trouble in my opinion. Diameter of the new knob is much larger and helps the ergonomics of use.

The whole thing seats a but higher than the OEM E92 knob but I consider this a plus...pushing down on it to operate seems firmer.

UPDATE: After you finish you must push they new knob (with the metal part firmly inside) into the plastic axle of the idrive until you hear a good click sound..then it's OK. I'm very pleased with the look but most importantly with the feel and ergonomics of this mod. Highly recommended!

Mods: Full Venture Shield protection kit, RPi scoops, Euro fog light switch, LUX V4, clear reflectors, OEM black chrome grilles and side gills, black hood vents, IND F10 M5 shift knob and boot
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #48
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

sorry for an old bump. The m5 knob does not have the clear thing the m3 does. I need help in installing the m5 knob. I cannot for the love of me, gut the damn thing out of the reg. e92 i-drive knob. Any assistance would be very helpful.

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #49
pamrit
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Have just finished doing the conversion to the M5 knob on my E93 and must say that it really does make a big difference for a small cost. Well pleased and managed to get a genuine M5 knob brand new for £18 on german ebay. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #50
Jed Peters
Rep
Drives: E90

I tried to do this mod on my E90, and found out that my all-metal knob on my e90 doesn't have the little plastic sleeve!

Does anyone have any information about purchasing the little plastic part out of the inside of an i-drive knob?
Appreciate 0