E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dyno Day - Pt 2

12-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #89
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Beemerbird, you summed up exactly why I purchased the 335d. Real world driving pre or post remap it's an easy to drive car with plenty in reserve.
Definately a great all round car Gibbo - can't think what I'd get instead of the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #90
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

let me set the record straight...fuck what the dyno says, the new map makes the car so much more responsive and faster.

My other car is a c32 amg 0-60 4.6 secs 0-100 10.8 secs (autocar) and when me and the mrs have had a little fun between 30 and 80 the 335d is all over the C32.

Now then its the torque that allows that the happen. Correct me if im wrong but its the torque from an engine that is responsible for the accelaeration so thats whats been added to the new map. SIMPLE.

I always change up at 4000rpm as ther is no need to rev any higher, just change up and surf that torque wave (BB).

Peppernick said in one of his posts that you have to drive the car differently to access the best performance is not an M car that NEEDS to be revved to 8000rpm, it a twin turbo diesel that does all its best work early on.

Until you have driven the post remap car, stop talking shit.

Love Steve.

PS im back
      12-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #91
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Welcome back steve, wise comments that tally with ian and tony....

SJ
      12-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #92
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Steve - totally agree mate - if your being squashed into your seat at 1800 - 3500 rpm on each shift even at 100 mph then there is little to worry about. On mine though, if you let the gearbox do its 'thing' even in D it doesn't shift much before 4500 if you are pressing on.

I didn't start this thread to say that the re-map was shite - quite the opposite! While the basic hp number was down on what some would expect the torque was up quite nicely and the car move like shit off a shovel!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #93
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
you know what we need.....

Times at the POD....

Yeah baby...

man i sound like Carlos

SJ
      12-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #94
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
There seems to be alot of reference and importance placed on BHP. However, surely the fact that the 335d's are all auto's does make it much more difficult to accurately dyno these cars.

My understanding was that BHP is related to rpm, for example, Japanese motorbikes & F1 cars produce phenomianl BHP brought about by having short stroke, high revving petrol engines. Diesel engines have longer stroke, lower revving engines which produces high torque.
The rate of acceleration is directly proportional to the amount of torque at the wheels.

Horsepower is a useful measure because it provides some information about the rpm at which torque is developed.

High levels of engine torque in the upper rev range (ie high HP) are typically best for acceleration, because that torque can be multiplied through gearing.

So ideally, for all out performance, you don't want your torque levels to tail out toward the redline. Because that forces you to gear up and reduce the torque multiplier in the process.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #95
EVOgone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 - 32d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
let me set the record straight...fuck what the dyno says, the new map makes the car so much more responsive and faster.

My other car is a c32 amg 0-60 4.6 secs 0-100 10.8 secs (autocar) and when me and the mrs have had a little fun between 30 and 80 the 335d is all over the C32.

Now then its the torque that allows that the happen. Correct me if im wrong but its the torque from an engine that is responsible for the accelaeration so thats whats been added to the new map. SIMPLE.

I always change up at 4000rpm as ther is no need to rev any higher, just change up and surf that torque wave (BB).

Peppernick said in one of his posts that you have to drive the car differently to access the best performance is not an M car that NEEDS to be revved to 8000rpm, it a twin turbo diesel that does all its best work early on.

Until you have driven the post remap car, stop talking shit.

Love Steve.

PS im back
The aim of a remap for real world performance is to mirror the std flat torque curve. None of the graphs really show this apart from maybe one (but didnt produce the claimed hp). Personally big spikes in torque are so tuners can head line mega BHP and torque figures and give a perseption that they are faster than they are. NO ONE HAS SHOWN ANYWHERE NEAR 350hp

Everyone talks about the post map drivability, if thats the case then why have none of their maps got a flat torque curve . With the addition of the maps producing less power at the bottom and top end than std then there is still a lot of work to be done.

Dont get me wrong the car will be faster but i wouldnt call it "what it should be", its more like an early development map.

All tuner claims of 350 hp do seem to also be untrue.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #96
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The rate of acceleration is directly proportional to the amount of torque at the wheels.

Horsepower is a useful measure because it provides some information about the rpm at which torque is developed.

High levels of engine torque in the upper rev range (ie high HP) are typically best for acceleration, because that torque can be multiplied through gearing.

So ideally, for all out performance, you don't want your torque levels to tail out toward the redline. Because that forces you to gear up and reduce the torque multiplier in the process.
This link appears to explain torque in relation to BHP & vice versa. Last paragraph is interesting.

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/technical/636.asp
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #97
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325dM Coupe

Even if those chipped 335s are awesome and very fast with crazy torque and fantastic driveability, it would be better to have a stronger topend.

You didnt chip those cars to get the same or less power high up, who are you trying too fool?

So Im not saying this to be a pain in the ass, even if some of you think Im just that. I just try to say you should get it all! its there somewhere and your tuner just have to do the same thing my tuner did

Hope to see some of you at the Nurburgring in April, lets see if a 325d can keep up with the 335s

Dont settle for second best guys, even if thats the easy way. Talk to your tuner about it and get things even better

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #98
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325dM Coupe

jj

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:34 AM   #99
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Have you got a dyno run with rpm rather than equated speed?

Also don't forget that the 335d delivers peak torque at circa 2000 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:46 AM   #100
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBurt View Post
You really are an accident waiting to happen mate!

I just pray to God that my 18 year old daughter never comes across the likes of you travelling towards her on the wrong side of the road when you're out 'on the run'!
Go screw yourself

You have fun in your car.. One comment and now im a danger to society.. Unless your a speed limit sticking freak then SOD OFF..

Every person i have met on this forum DRIVES AS FAST AS I DO... YOU INCLUDED.

Apart from one person who had an estate. He drove carefully, maybe OVER cautiously. You have a re-mapped 335D and dont go over the speed limit, never had a bit of fun with another car EVER? your a BS then.

Even your good friend Olih tells of ''how fast'' his 335d is.

So why bother just picking on me for the sake of it i dont know. i may drive quickly BUT SAFELY and i have never drunk drive in my life.. Bet you would have a pint a drive.. DENY all you want. Most people do. I never have and never will.. Go away and stop trying to find fault in everything i say. You dnt know me OR MY LIFE. Go and concentrate on whats going on in YOUR life.

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************

BACLK ON TOPIC.

Guys you paid for 350bhp... you didnt get that.. HOW ON EARTH YOU CAN GET 45-50 IB FT but only 10bhp i will never know.

This alone suggests THERE IS A PROBLEM with the map.

Lets get down to the bottom of it.

Carlos
      12-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #101
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't pay for 350 bhp - I have never been that concerned in base bhp figures on a diesel 'coz thats not really where its at.

If it had shot those numbers then all well & good but the peak torque delivery interests me much more.

Comparing the dynos to Peppernicks run at CA there is not much between them allowing for the setting differences in the machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #102
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Yes but Evil, A car CANT just make an extra 45 ib ft and only 10bhp, thats wrong.. something is wrong.

I wanted a re-map for at least 40+ bhp gain and the same for the torque. You did too really, surely.
      12-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #103
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
This link appears to explain torque in relation to BHP & vice versa. Last paragraph is interesting.

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/technical/636.asp
It's a good article, but it does lack any explanation of the effects of gearing and torque multiplication.

The rate of acceleration is directly proportional to torque at the driven wheels rather than the torque output by the engine.

Torque at the wheels = engine torque x gear ratio x final drive ratio

In lower gears, because the gear ratio is higher, torque at the wheels 'multiplied'.

If you make your torque at high rpm, then you can stay in lower gear longer, which maximises wheel torque. So as a principle it's always better to make torque at high rpm.

This is why high revving low torque cars can still peform well. BMW diesels overcome this inherent disadvantage because:

1. They actually rev pretty high
2. Torque levels are very high generally and are maintained most of the way to the redline
3. They are quite cleverly geared to maximise wheel torque.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #104
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yes but Evil, A car CANT just make an extra 45 ib ft and only 10bhp, thats wrong.. something is wrong.

I wanted a re-map for at least 40+ bhp gain and the same for the torque. You did too really, surely.
It can make those numbers if the new peak torque occurs lower in the rev range than it did previously.

The problem with the graphs is that the new torque curve looks like a hill, whereas the original one is almost flat.

If you could just move the flat torque curve up you would see torque and hp gain.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 05:12 AM   #105
SiBurt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F20 M135i AT, MPE, MPLSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Go screw yourself

You have fun in your car.. One comment and now im a danger to society.. Unless your a speed limit sticking freak then SOD OFF..

Every person i have met on this forum DRIVES AS FAST AS I DO... YOU INCLUDED.

Apart from one person who had an estate. He drove carefully, maybe OVER cautiously. You have a re-mapped 335D and dont go over the speed limit, never had a bit of fun with another car EVER? your a BS then.

Even your good friend Olih tells of ''how fast'' his 335d is.

So why bother just picking on me for the sake of it i dont know. i may drive quickly BUT SAFELY and i have never drunk drive in my life.. Bet you would have a pint a drive.. DENY all you want. Most people do. I never have and never will.. Go away and stop trying to find fault in everything i say. You dnt know me OR MY LIFE. Go and concentrate on whats going on in YOUR life.

Carlos
There's no need to SHOUT, dear boy.

Have I hit a raw nerve, Carl?

My opinion of you is based on pretty much every one of your posts which boast of your street racing antics in your father's car...

...That, and the picture of the totally obliterated alloy wheel you got from apparently glancing the kerb not so long ago!

Merry Christmas!

I apologise for hijacking the thread and going OT chaps.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #106
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBurt View Post
There's no need to SHOUT, dear boy.

Have I hit a raw nerve, Carl?

My opinion of you is based on pretty much every one of your posts which boast of your street racing antics in your father's car...

...That, and the picture of the totally obliterated alloy wheel you got from apparently glancing the kerb not so long ago!

Merry Christmas!

I apologise for hijacking the thread and going OT chaps.

I have never ONCE said i street race.. Thats what kids go to industrial estates for...

I now OWN my car. It was in march purchased by my father.. Might aswell hav been my car for the last nine months anyhow, But now it ACTUALLY IS MY CAR!!

I did ''glance'' a kerb protector.. oh well.. big deal...
      12-19-2007, 06:22 AM   #107
e-maps
Banned
Rep
Drives: Seat

I have no problem with people questioning the remap I do on the 335d.

Looking at the dyno plot the power drops off sharpley at approx 3700rpm.

Look at the video below of a 335d with my remap on the road, does the power drop off at 3700rpm or not ?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...diesel8666.flv
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #108
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-maps View Post
I have no problem with people questioning the remap I do on the 335d.

Looking at the dyno plot the power drops off sharpley at approx 3700rpm.

Look at the video below of a 335d with my remap on the road, does the power drop off at 3700rpm or not ?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...diesel8666.flv
Hi E-Maps,
Welcome to the forum. I reckoned you would have to show up at some stage - LOL

I have your Map in my car (done by David in N.Ireland) and I can say that the difference has been immense. I do notice a bit of a tail-off over 4k rpm but I just ensure that I change up before the red-line. I have used an accelerometer and got very similar figures to Peppernicks car in the video (averaged about 5.1 to 60 and 12 to 100)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #109
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hey Simon. welcome to e90post...

12-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #110
e-maps
Banned
Rep
Drives: Seat

Thanks for the welcome

The power will start to tail off at around 4200rpm, even the stock map does this as fuelling tails off. You can see this on the stock dyno plot. We bring the fuelling back down to stock values around this rpm to protect the engine, as with the standard BMW map.

If you study the video you can see the traction kicks in at 90mph, around 4100rpm. If you look at the dyno plot and compare this to the video do you think the traction would kick in if the power was dropping so sharply as on the plot :sad0147:
Appreciate 0