E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d DPF Warning light after DPF deleted...any recommendations?

02-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
330dgav
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Coupe Individual

330d DPF Warning light after DPF deleted...any recommendations?

I have a 57 plate E90 330d with 43k for which I had the DPF deleted and remapped by Evolve last September. I typically do majority of miles in town hence need to do something with DPF to avoid problems.

Last night the DFP warning light came on the Idrive and information panel for which I couldn't remove. The guy who did the deletion and remap said everyone usually either removes the DPF of puts a hole in to avoid andy problems. I am reluctant to damage the DPF incase legislation changes and I have to use it especially given how expensive replacements are and I would have thought mine should be ok given mileage.

Questions:

1. Do I replace the DPF with a SS exhaust section
2. Attempt to clean the DPF
3. Put a hole in it
4. Will regeneration still work and reset the problem if the DPF has been deleted.

Anyones assistance would be greatly appreciated given your own experience.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Have you spoken to the guys at Evolve about this? I think that should be your first port of call!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I thought you just said you have removed the DPF
      02-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

You had the DPF deleted while it is still installed? WHY?

Have you really grasped what you have done? If it is still there it should be left working. I can imagine it is getting completely clogged up.

I'd go back to square one and get it active again and see if you can salvage the mistake.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I can't see how Its "deleted" if Its still there.

CONFUSED.COM
      02-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Im lost too Carlos
      02-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
330dgav
Rep

Thanks everyone, I know it sounds daft and it is. Basically the installer did not advise correctly and I had a different understanding based upon this. Now that I am more clued up (yes I should have done this in more detail first) I am clear what needs to be done.

Iam asking the installer to reinstall it back to standard with the hope it will regenerate and clear the fault. Luckily I do not do many miles and tonight the warning sign did not activate.

I spoke to Stan at EcoTune who was very knowledgeable, and confirmed they only do the DPF delete as a package with removal and replacement with straight section and re-map. My view is all suppliers should do this if they are advertising such a modification and should not delete the DPF from the ECU without first conforming the DPF has physically been removed or adapted to prevent further problems. If this hasn't been done then a disclaimer should be made and signed by customer outlining possible issues and need to remove (my advise to anyone reading this thread in the future - ensure you get it all completely done as a package with appropriate guarantee). I believed I was getting a package as bought it all together.

My understanding from Stan at EcoTune is you cannot successfully re-map until the replaced pipe is in place due to different back pressures etc. He also does not advocate splitting DPF and removing innards as it is difficult to do and not always successful, and you cannot go back. This all makes sense.

I am waiting for a response from the installer, so will let you all know.

Note, re-map was done by Evolution and not Evolve as previously written to save any comments (blame being annoyed and tired this morning!)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I was going to say this doesnt sound like something Evolve would do!

So this "Evolution" installed a a DPF Delete map on your car, but left the DPF in place? No wonder your light is on!! I hope it can be reversed easily mate
      02-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
I was going to say this doesnt sound like something Evolve would do!

So this "Evolution" installed a a DPF Delete map on your car, but left the DPF in place? No wonder your light is on!! I hope it can be reversed easily mate
Absolutlely!

Keep us informed of how things turn out, seems like nothing but a nightmare though!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Hmm this is a strange one and sound like they could have screwed your car up - so hope the DPFs regens ok after they put the map back to normal.

As for town driving, this is fine for our DPfs to regen, it's only if of do short trips it won't get a chance.
      02-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Laney
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx ms, E90 330d ms

Garage List
Its quite disappointing that there are companies out there that will do this kind of work without making simple checks first.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Did the remap guy tell you at the time to remove the dpf, or did he assume you had already removed it?

Not sure what "dpf delete" means - does it mean he has removed the dpf regen function from the ECU? If this is all, then perhaps reinstalling a map with the regen function may just clean the dpf - worth a try first I would assume.

I assume you can have a remap without the dpf regen delete - perhaps you should ask evolution to give you one of those?
      02-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

What on earth!!! They coded out the dpf but left it there? So 40k of soot build up with no attempt to regen?

It will likely be fecked!

Just goes to show... Use reputable tuners or pay the consequences..
      02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
330dgav
Rep

I've done no more than 4,000miles since this was done. Guy never asked once about removing DPF or even checked, my recollection was that deleting it from ECU put it out of action thus preventing any future issues!

Fingers crossed DPF data re-installed and a regen works, then I am going to leave it alone, but going to check that the re-map done at the same time is still correct as I presume all power figures etc will be slightly different?

I am giving the guy the option to sort out before deciding on any other action. If I do not get a good response, I know a few good solicitor friends....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

If your DPF warning light has only just come on, you should be ok (think it comes one when 50-70% clogged). If you then keep driving it will eventually require a trip to the dealer to be cleaned or worse....
      02-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Fook that's bad. Dpf delete leaving dpf in place, mapped and no regens taking place clogging up your not deleted still fitted dpf. That's just criminal of evolution. I'd go fucking mental if that was me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
330dgav
Rep

Update - Saturday morning car is going to have everything reset and new map re-installed (less the DPF delete) by original installer and Evolution, with a refund on DPF. Then hopefully get it regenerated successfully.

Just to make matters more confusing, IDrive system is now playing up on way home, no stereo, cannot control anything and appears to have crashed. Pulled over and re-started car, which allowed me to navigate for about 3 moves then it crashed and locked me out again, then warning sign 'no SOS available'. Looks like a trip to dealer to get it sorted (under warranty), unless there is any advice out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #18
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Ouch.. you aren't having the best of luck.

Sounds like the unit may be failing, so it's a good thing you have the warranty as it can be upwards of a grand.

Keep us informed!
      02-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Tried resetting other than just turning ignition off and on?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #20
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dgav View Post
I have a 57 plate E90 330d with 43k for which I had the DPF deleted and remapped by Evolve last September. I typically do majority of miles in town hence need to do something with DPF to avoid problems.

Last night the DFP warning light came on the Idrive and information panel for which I couldn't remove. The guy who did the deletion and remap said everyone usually either removes the DPF of puts a hole in to avoid andy problems. I am reluctant to damage the DPF incase legislation changes and I have to use it especially given how expensive replacements are and I would have thought mine should be ok given mileage.

Questions:

1. Do I replace the DPF with a SS exhaust section
2. Attempt to clean the DPF
3. Put a hole in it
4. Will regeneration still work and reset the problem if the DPF has been deleted.

Anyones assistance would be greatly appreciated given your own experience.

Cheers
Jeez, just read this!

What a monumental feck up, and:

3. Put a hole in it

or

Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dgav View Post
Update - Saturday morning car is going to have everything reset and new map re-installed (less the DPF delete) by original installer and Evolution, with a refund on DPF. Then hopefully get it regenerated successfully.

Just to make matters more confusing, IDrive system is now playing up on way home, no stereo, cannot control anything and appears to have crashed. Pulled over and re-started car, which allowed me to navigate for about 3 moves then it crashed and locked me out again, then warning sign 'no SOS available'. Looks like a trip to dealer to get it sorted (under warranty), unless there is any advice out there.
Do yourself a favour and never take your car anywhere near there again!

I assume you have an insured warranty being as it's a 57 plate?

Word of warning - The above fault will probably require fault diagnosis,which requires as routine a hook up and the info being sent to BMW AG.

Your DPF delete and map will be detected, whether either are still present or not.
Whilst those mods won't have caused your problem on the I-Drive,and a possible warranty claim should not be denied,it may cause you problems in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 330D, 1978 1275GT

Slightly on the same topic; e90 330D Auto

Recently had the DPF warning ( "Particle Filter warning, possible to continue journey - contact dealer" ) appear on the dash + iDrive.

After a lot of research (being new to diesels, I'd never heard of a DPF ), I decided to find the root cause.

On a long trip, the coolant temp didn't move above 65'C. I promptly replaced the EGR thermostat, as it was the easiest / quickest thing I could attempt without a garage.

The coolant is now happily reaching 85 - 90'C, which is better, but the DPF light remains on (it appears after around 10 minutes of driving).

I'm taking the car to have the code reset today, and will then take it for a run up the motorway in the hope that it will regen.
From my research, it appears the following are needed for a regen to be attempted:
- Coolant temp > 75'C
- Exhaust temp > 240'C
- Fuel in tank > 60%
to qualify the fuel in tank figure; there is a document in existence which states that there must be > 10ltrs of fuel in the tank, although I have also read that this infact is referring to "tank 1" of the two tanks, meaning "tank 2" would be full. Tank 1 drains before Tank 2, so we need atleast 60% fuel in total.
I could be wrong, but I'm not taking that gamble
I'll hopefully have an answer one way or the other, by the time I get home.

Wish me luck,
Dean
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
ca2del
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 330D, 1978 1275GT

So,

The diag reader picked up the following codes:
41F2 - electric fan activation
480A - particulate filter system
481A - particulate filter system
4D00 - exhaust back pressure sensor

Cleared, for the sum of £36.

I drove on the M11 at 70mph, for 40 minutes, and the DPF warning had reappeared after 25 minutes

Now I need to work out which of those codes could be causing the DPF to refuse a regeneration cycle, or if i need to force a regen somehow.

No intention of hijacking, I was hoping any discussion on the topic would benefit everyone

Any thoughts?

Dean
Appreciate 0