E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

10-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #2619
kermeli
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 -08 330i

Can metallic bits come off the lifters? My -08 330i makes very similar noise. I took it the bmw maintenance shop for oil change, and they found some metal all
the way in the oil filter. The car feels perfectly fine to drive, no any cranking just fine, and the ticking noise goes away completely when properly revved/warmed up. My car has 160tkm on the clock.

Also ticking goes with rpms like in this video.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #2620
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermeli View Post
Can metallic bits come off the lifters?
No.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #2621
sleepysnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dec 04 built 330i

It's strange that only some cars suffer from this.

I have a very early EURO build 330i, 12/2004 production, originally used as a press car. In the 16k miles I've owned it (total 121k) I have never heard the ticking, even after a few weeks of only short 9 mile each way commutes. Though I do generally push the engine hard in the last few miles of each trip once it's warmed up.
      03-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #2622
labrador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I wonder if the oil pressure drop from the camshaft ledge problem lead to the ticking sound or if the HVA oil leak lead to the wear in the camshaft ledge?

I am inclined toward the ledge cause an oil pressure drop. Does anyone know if the updated cylinder head comes with new camshaft ledge(s) and camshafts?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #2623
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrador View Post
I wonder if the oil pressure drop from the camshaft ledge problem lead to the ticking sound or if the HVA oil leak lead to the wear in the camshaft ledge?

I am inclined toward the ledge cause an oil pressure drop. Does anyone know if the updated cylinder head comes with new camshaft ledge(s) and camshafts?
Unrelated. Camshaft ledge seal leaking oil due to wear will cause vanos errors and some drivability issue.

Air getting trapped HVAs just cause noise until air clears, no codes or drivability issues at all.

The ledge seal doesn't supply oil to the HVA's, only to the VANOS unit. Lifters have oil galleries in the head supplying oil to them as far as know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #2624
Dreo
Rep
Drives: E92 White

Getting something like this too on my 2007 N54...waiting for account to activate to post vid but sounds like metal scraping on startup...tied to rpm but it comes and goes and certainly lessens with more rpm. Hasn't gotten much worse over a few months. Wondering (hoping) if it could be a loose piece vibrating somewhere..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #2625
labrador
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Worn timing guides maybe?

I would think if low oil pressure is affecting the lifters, then the Vanos requiring lots of oil and the cam ledge nearby are not going to be in better shape. I remember reading some owners replaced the lifters and the engine still ticks. That would be because the root cause was not the lifters but the wear in the cam ledges.

Originally this mechanic thought a motor flush would solve the sticking lifters problem. No, it was not the lifters after all.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #2626
luke6494
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Xdrive

I have been having a metallic ticking coming from my engine bay as well. It started about 6 months ago. I drive a 2009 328i xdrive. My noise happens when i press the gas pedal going down the road. It is a fast rapid ticking sound coming from the engine bay. If i push the rpms up to 3500rpm it will stop immediately and will not come back the rest of the drive. The next drive it may happen again, it may not. Seems to be random. I had my dealer look at it and they said it is more than likely lifter related but i do not think so. I do not have the loud tapping at idle. Anyone have any ideas? So far the dealer has replaced 6 coils and plugs, vcg, ofhg, belt tensioner with pulley and the belt, ess, engine wiring loom, fuel tank vent hose, the battery and brought the car up to date with the latest software.

It is sitting at 79325 miles. I am at a loss. The car drives like normal but the noise sounds terrible, so much so that my father in the passenger seat actually asked me what it was. Any help is greatly appreciated. Attached is a video of the noise. It sounds almost like a constant grinding while the gas pedal is pressed. You can hear as i let off that it goes away. It just gets louder up until 3500 rpms then it totally goes away. Sometimes it happens the entire drive because i don't always push the car up that high in the rev range. The light on the dash is tpms, I had just gotten wheels and did not put the tpms back in yet so disregard. Also I was going for a quick drive to get the video and that is why you are hearing the chime of no seat belt. My apologies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXV4KDii8Mk
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #2627
labrador
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@luke6494, does the ticking go away if you are stationary and just rev past 3500? Mine was ticking when the oil filter housing gasket was just seeping a little vapor. So that might be one place that allows oil drainback to occur.

I am waiting for the next valve cover gasket job so I can look at the camshaft -- not going to dig in there just for that.

Not familiar with the x-drive, but have you changed the differential and transfer case fluids? One of those might be going bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #2628
luke6494
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Xdrive

labrador Idk I actually have not tried revving it stationary past 3500. Its really hard to tell if the car is making the noise at idle or not. It is quiet until you start actually driving. I will have to try this. Trans fluid was just changed about 500 miles ago. It has been happening well before then. My ofhg was just done in the last 10,000 miles. Does not look to be leaking at all. The rear diff is leaking but not bad at all. I am getting it resealed a week from now. The front diff is not leaking. I will be changing the gear oil in the rear in a week. Then after will be the front. Trying to spare some money in between each one. I did the trans diy. Also going to diy the rear diff after they (the dealer) seal it up and the front diff fluids. I just cant fathom it being a diff noise or trans noise if it dissapears as soon as 3500 is passed. It happens like clockwork. If it is there from the start of the drive it will be there until i get past 3500 one time then it will dissapear for the rest of the drive. It may come back again if i shut the car off and start it up warm or let it get cold and start it. It is basically random. Warm or cold engine does not seem to matter much. One thing i can note is that 4/5 mornings in the cold it will more than likely do it when the car has sat over night. Ocassionally it will not in the morning. It is driving me nutes. It is a weird one.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #2629
Chaika_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I have the same thing, 112k mile n54, usually only happens when it is cold outside and goes away once the engine is somewhat warm, I have heard it is not a really big deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #2630
labrador
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I remember reading that you are no longer supposed to rev the engine to fill up the oil, because the real problem may be the cam ledge wear. I will try to locate that.

A new ledge is about $500-600, plus new plastic instead of metal seal rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika_335i View Post
I have the same thing, 112k mile n54, usually only happens when it is cold outside and goes away once the engine is somewhat warm, I have heard it is not a really big deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #2631
LeroyJonesE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2006 330i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 228i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
In reading through the last few pages of the thread, I was surprised no one mentioned that the ticking noise is from the VANOS Solenoids. I assume it may be covered somewhere in this 120 page thread but honestly didn't take the time to read all pages so apologies if this is beating a dead horse.

I have an 06 330 and unfortunately have too much experience fighting with the solenoids. Most often they are not truly bad but just gummed up with oil. My car overheated when the water pump broke and it was driven too far/hot and the oil burned. Even after multiple engine flushes I still have to routinely clean the oil filter (using new metal filter vs. paper) as well as the VANOS Solenoids and VANOS filters due to build up. If the solenoids are starved for oil they tick really loud. Cleaning them with carb cleaner does the trick. Do note that on the older N52s, the solenoids do not have a built in filter. There are two separate filters on the left side of the block. One for the intake solenoid and one for the exhaust. They can also be cleaned and reused.

I'm new to posting here but if I can figure out how to post pics, I'll post some images of the VANOS filters to show how bad they can get. Keep in mind that yours don't have to be as bad as this to cause problems. Hope this helps.

PIC ADD:

Last edited by LeroyJonesE90; 04-19-2018 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #2632
dr.naseem.gn@gmail.com
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i e92 2007

Smile ticking engine in bmw e92 330i 272HP N52

Hello guys .
Advises for bmw E92 330i 2007 N52 engine
most of the ticking noises from Bmw engines is incorrect oil engine type .
Engine oil: CASTROL EDGE 0W30 FULLY SYNTHETIC TITANIUM FST ENGINE OIL 6.5 litters .
Spark plugs : IRRIDIUM LASER , Trade numbers ILZFR6D11 (better than BOSCH)
Coolant type : BMW Genuine Car Engine Coolant Antifreeze Anti Freeze (Blue)
Hydraulic liquid : CHF 11S (Green)
Oil filter : MAN
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #2633
e90bmw!!
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #2634
adrianhan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i 2006

Hi everyone, I thought this is an appropriate thread to ask a question too about an engine noise.
My car is a 2006, 330i, n52, 93k miles.
I had the serpentine belt break on me as I was pulling out of garage. I replaced it and as soon as I started the engine it was running rough, checked the codes and it was a misfire on cylinder 2 and MAF sensor (which was not giving me any problems but it started right after I decided that probably is not a bad idea to clean it).

Replaced the plugs and the coils, car is running a lot better, unplugged the MAF (plugged in still runs a little rough), but with or without the MAF (new MAF is arriving tomorrow), there is a new continuous rumble, engine cold or hot, and I was wondering if anyone knows what could be the issue.
Here is a video of it.

I am not sure how breaking the serpentine belt could cause that, but I never heard that noise before. Is pretty loud an can be heard from inside the car too. Did NOT notice any impact while driving, performance wise, etc... just a nasty noise. The noise seems to be coming from below the intake towards the windshield... at least that's where I think the sound is coming from. I cannot seem to hear it anymore when I accelerate.

Thank you in advance for any input you might have.

Last edited by adrianhan; 05-01-2018 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #2635
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianhan View Post
Hi everyone, I thought this is an appropriate thread to ask a question too about an engine noise.
I had the serpentine belt break on me as I was pulling out of garage. I replaced it and as soon as I started the engine it was running rough, checked the codes and it was a misfire on cylinder 2 and MAF sensor (which was not giving me any problems but it started right after I decided that probably is not a bad idea to clean it).

Replaced the plugs and the coils, car is running a lot better, unplugged the MAF (plugged in still runs a little rough), but with or without the MAF (new MAF is arriving tomorrow), there is a new continuous rumble, engine cold or hot, and I was wondering if anyone knows what could be the issue.
Here is a video of it.

I am not sure how breaking the serpentine belt could cause that, but I never heard that noise before. Is pretty loud an can be heard from inside the car too. Did NOT notice any impact while driving, performance wise, etc... just a nasty noise. The noise seems to be coming from below the intake towards the windshield... at least that's where I think the sound is coming from. I cannot seem to hear it anymore when I accelerate.

Sounds something plastic loose rattling in closed place. You have 330 which has an intake manifold with two DISA valves on it. One of them may have gotten broken and lose rattling inside. That is one possibility that comes to my mind. If you search for DISA on N52 you will find lots of information.

The other from your description "The noise seems to be coming from below the intake towards the windshield", the crank case ventilation valve that is tucked inside the folds of the intake manifold towards the windshield (firewall) side may have ruptured its membrane and flapping.

There is also possibility that some of the serpentine belt got thrashed to pieces and sucked into the engine through the front crankshaft seal. It is hard to believe this can happen there have been many reports on this, even pictures from inside engine with pieces of belt stuck at the oil pick up line filter. Maybe some piece got also made its way from the crank case into the crank case ventilation valve and flapping around there.

There is also possibility the belt swung and took out some breather line made it loose and rattling.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 05:39 AM   #2636
bmwe90320i-N46
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 320i N46

Following this
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #2637
Andre10
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D 2005

yee thats right.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #2638
AddsterE91MS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 320i E91

Check you oil level
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #2639
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianhan View Post

Here is a video of it.

Sounds something plastic loose rattling in closed place. You have 330 which has an intake manifold with two DISA valves on it. One of them may have gotten broken and lose rattling inside. That is one possibility that comes to my mind. If you search for DISA on N52 you will find lots of information.

The other from your description "The noise seems to be coming from below the intake towards the windshield", the crank case ventilation valve that is tucked inside the folds of the intake manifold towards the windshield (firewall) side may have ruptured its membrane and flapping.

There is also possibility that some of the serpentine belt got thrashed to pieces and sucked into the engine through the front crankshaft seal. It is hard to believe this can happen there have been many reports on this, even pictures from inside engine with pieces of belt stuck at the oil pick up line filter. Maybe some piece got also made its way from the crank case into the crank case ventilation valve and flapping around there.

There is also possibility the belt swung and took out some breather line made it loose and rattling.

Good luck!
On an n52, it's probably lifters. It could also be fuel injectors too. If it's your lifters you could use Liquid Moly Ceratec, and it should quote it down.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #2640
m749
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91

thanks for useful information.
Appreciate 0