E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help 335i track car or e46 M3

08-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Need help 335i track car or e46 M3

I currently have a 2009 BMW 335i e90

So far I have done downpioes, jb4, and the bms intake.

The more I drive the car and push it to it's limits the more I want to upgrade it and track it

I have close to no track driving experience but already feel the need to upgrade a few things on my car to make it handle better

My question is, would it be worth turning my 335i into a trackable daily or is it too much work? I know the 335i would be a fun track car under the right conditions like a lsd and redone cooling but is it very practical?

I've read through a few forums talking about how it's hard to keep the n54 out of limp mode and the traction control cuts in too much along with numerous other negatives, are these worth trying to overcome or will it be too big of a job?

So then I guess the question become is the 335i a good enough track car to be a reasonable daily or do I go ahead and buy an e36 or e46 m3 to start and build one of those into my track car

Would I spend the same amount keeping my 335i track ready as I would just buying another car? My car already has 98k miles so I feel large repairs are on the way if I push it hard on a track

Keep in mind I'm a beginner so I'm not sure what would be best for me

I'm pretty handy with a wrench and would enjoy being able to work on the car myself if that makes a difference

Appreciate any feedback!
      08-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwilcox29 View Post
I currently have a 2009 BMW 335i e90

So far I have done downpioes, jb4, and the bms intake.

The more I drive the car and push it to it's limits the more I want to upgrade it and track it

I have close to no track driving experience but already feel the need to upgrade a few things on my car to make it handle better

My question is, would it be worth turning my 335i into a trackable daily or is it too much work? I know the 335i would be a fun track car under the right conditions like a lsd and redone cooling but is it very practical?

I've read through a few forums talking about how it's hard to keep the n54 out of limp mode and the traction control cuts in too much along with numerous other negatives, are these worth trying to overcome or will it be too big of a job?

So then I guess the question become is the 335i a good enough track car to be a reasonable daily or do I go ahead and buy an e36 or e46 m3 to start and build one of those into my track car

Would I spend the same amount keeping my 335i track ready as I would just buying another car? My car already has 98k miles so I feel large repairs are on the way if I push it hard on a track

Keep in mind I'm a beginner so I'm not sure what would be best for me

I'm pretty handy with a wrench and would enjoy being able to work on the car myself if that makes a difference

Appreciate any feedback!
Before you do anything, you need to go to the track. Check out your local BMW CCA and get setup for the next HPDE.

If you limp mode, you can add an oil cooler, but to be honest, driver mod is far more important, and will actually let you make an informed decision on what's next.

My next recommendation would be Schroth Quick Fit harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Before you do anything, you need to go to the track. Check out your local BMW CCA and get setup for the next HPDE.

If you limp mode, you can add an oil cooler, but to be honest, driver mod is far more important, and will actually let you make an informed decision on what's next.

My next recommendation would be Schroth Quick Fit harnesses.
That's probably a good call, I'll check that out asap!
      08-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
If it's a while till the next HPDE (even if it's not BMWCCA sponsored, the guys on your local CCA facebook page should be able to point you in the right direction), try out an Autocross.

Don't worry about being a novice, everyone in the community will be receptive to a new gear head. You'll make some new friends in the process.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Quote:
If it's a while till the next HPDE (even if it's not BMWCCA sponsored, the guys on your local CCA facebook page should be able to point you in the right direction), try out an Autocross.

Don't worry about being a novice, everyone in the community will be receptive to a new gear head. You'll make some new friends in the process.
Good to know!
      08-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Ignoring the driver mod, 350z HR. (2007+) Or 370z. Way better as track cars. Double wishbone up front, lighter, reliable, LSD, etc. The E46s are appreciating so I don't think it's the smartest idea to turn one into a track car unless you have big $$$.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

As said above, leave the car alone upgrade-wise and go and take a track school or do an autocross first and then track.

Other than making sure the car is safe to drive at speed (fresh brake fluid, enough meat on pads and rotors, plenty of rubber on tires, no wobbly suspension bits etc.), you don't need to do anything on the car.
Then you will know how the car felt, how you felt and see how you want to proceed.

Once you track your car, you will appreciate any new mod you do as you will feel its difference.

There are always plenty of good folks at track willing to help out someone new, so don't be afraid to go and ask questions. Fast drivers are not always the ones with the most modified-looking cars.
A few years back a guy at a local track was running circles (ok, almost) around big power cars with his stock Toyota Echo with nothing but slick tires and a sway bar. It was fun to watch.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #8
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
As said above, leave the car alone upgrade-wise and go and take a track school or do an autocross first and then track.

Other than making sure the car is safe to drive at speed (fresh brake fluid, enough meat on pads and rotors, plenty of rubber on tires, no wobbly suspension bits etc.), you don't need to do anything on the car.
Then you will know how the car felt, how you felt and see how you want to proceed.

Once you track your car, you will appreciate any new mod you do as you will feel its difference.

There are always plenty of good folks at track willing to help out someone new, so don't be afraid to go and ask questions. Fast drivers are not always the ones with the most modified-looking cars.
A few years back a guy at a local track was running circles (ok, almost) around big power cars with his stock Toyota Echo with nothing but slick tires and a sway bar. It was fun to watch.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!
I will definitely do that first, I fully believe in learning how to drive before trying to build it into the best track car out there!

However, say I do love racing (which I'm sure I will), would it be smart to continue upgrading the 335i or do I go for an easier to handle car?

My fear is that the 335 may be not suited for the track as well as an older M3 might be.
      08-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Ignoring the driver mod, 350z HR. (2007+) Or 370z. Way better as track cars. Double wishbone up front, lighter, reliable, LSD, etc. The E46s are appreciating so I don't think it's the smartest idea to turn one into a track car unless you have big $$$.
That's a good point, might try to find an e36 I just love the bmws too much to get a z