E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CKS Exhaust & Sprint Booster fitted (335d)

11-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

CKS Exhaust & Sprint Booster fitted (335d)

Well, I went to Watford yesterday and had my CAT back custom built exhaust fitted by CKS. I deleted the centre box and the 2 rear boxes and when I weighed them all at home it weighed 25KG's ! I don't know how much the new pipes weigh but it will be a lot less than that

Well with 25KGs in the boot and a full tank of VPower, the car felt quick. I must add at this point, while I was at CKS I also had them fit a "Sprint Booster.

1st the Exhaust:- A very nice sound improvement, in the car very little difference but in the Hindhead tunnel, on the way back, I got a chance to see what is sounded like and it's awesome (for a diesel). Its a deeper tone at idle and sporty sounding when flooring it through the gears. There is a slightly sportier soundd to be heard in the cabin but it is not intrusive at all.

2nd the Sprint booser:- I had this fitted as I once fitted one of these to an SLK AMG 32 I have and the difference was intense. The newer version has 3 settings (done on a switch) Standard, Green & RED. Red being the most aggressive.......yes it's in RED....all the time . In normal and sport mode on the bearbox it is still drivable around town but on the highway it is far more sensitive to changing down and the pick up is sharper in each gear. Standing starts will need a bit of practice as I hade the rear tires lit up the first couple of times in 1st and 2nd gear. When I did get some traction the "in gear" pick up in 1st and 2nd was much stronger than normal.

So an expensive day but a transformed car
      11-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Well done mate ! Glad you are happy.

On another note I thought those sprint boosters are a waste of money ? Just knock the gearbox into DS or manual mode = same thing doesn it ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Well done mate ! Glad you are happy.

On another note I thought those sprint boosters are a waste of money ? Just knock the gearbox into DS or manual mode = same thing doesn it ?
Nope, I like the difference between DS and Sport too but if you imagine that DS is like Sport with it fitted and then the change to Sport is another step up, that is what it is like. Off the mark, it gets the power in quicker and when overtaking the response and down shift are quicker and stronger.

I too was sceptical when I thought about getting one for my old AMG SLK32 but that is what convinced me to get it on the 335d too. It does make a difference and its NOT the same as "mashing the throttle" see if you can find someone with one fitted and you will see what I mean. I wouldn't buy one for a manual gearbox but for an Auto, I would buy one every day of the week
      11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah ok - noticed this straight from their website:

• Sprint Booster does not increase Horsepower.

• Sprint Booster does not reduce your 0-60mph times.

• Sprint Booster DOES make your car 'FEEL' faster.

• Sprint Booster is not for everyone.

I think its all in your head mate (re point 2 & 3) - but if you happy then thats all that matters !! All it does is reduce pedal travel for max power right ? How much did you pay if dont mind me asking buddy ?

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

get some vids up on what she sounds like

Get a recording of Taking it through a tunnel or such like.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Mind If I ask how much this set you back OP?
      11-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok - noticed this straight from their website:

• Sprint Booster does not increase Horsepower.

• Sprint Booster does not reduce your 0-60mph times.

• Sprint Booster DOES make your car 'FEEL' faster.

• Sprint Booster is not for everyone.

I think its all in your head mate (re point 2 & 3) - but if you happy then thats all that matters !! All it does is reduce pedal travel for max power right ? How much did you pay if dont mind me asking buddy ?

Enjoy.
I agree that there is no horsepower increase, it affects the power "delivery" and the feel of it is much improved. I have used these twice on automatics and from my experience would recommend them to anyone wanting a more exciting feel to their driving experience. With regard to 0-60 times, there may be a very tiny improvement purely on the fact that the power hits the wheels quicker when you launch it in 1st but on the basis of power to weight ratios, scientifically it would be impossible to be quicker. All I can say is try it and then make your mind up. I always thought these sounded like "snake oil" but if that were the case why would I buy one twice . Maybe you can get someone to fit one on a "try before you buy" basis and take it for a spin
      11-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

on another note, the exhaust is a "thing of beauty" I will get some pics up at the weekend, if I get time. As for a video, The nearest tunnel is a fair distance away so probably won't happen in the near future but if I find myself up there I will do it.
      11-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Good job, s/through exhaust is definitely the way to go on the big 'D's

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d
on another note, the exhaust is a "thing of beauty" I will get some pics up at the weekend, if I get time. As for a video, The nearest tunnel is a fair distance away so probably won't happen in the near future but if I find myself up there I will do it.
ok, tunnel not required, but some sort of vid so we can hear the sound is a must!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d View Post
Agree, I like my CKS exhaust as well - what tips did you go for in the end fella ?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree, I like my CKS exhaust as well - what tips did you go for in the end fella ?
I had one of the Twin "M" ones spit in half and adapted to fit one on each side. They are the ones with the 2 pin strip grooves round them, if that makes sense ?
      11-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Sort of - they are not 4" tho ? Or am I wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'm interested in hearing more on this. Costs, improvements and noise etc.

Will you have any problems with it when it comes to MOT?

Looking forward to pictures and a video or two!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste133 View Post
I'm interested in hearing more on this. Costs, improvements and noise etc.

Will you have any problems with it when it comes to MOT?

Looking forward to pictures and a video or two!!
Cost:- not cheap (as I hade the sprint booster AND exhaust done at the same time) but I am happy with it

Sound:- much better but perfect for motorway cruising too as no booming etc. Most of the sound difference is heard outside of the car and is immediately apparent at idle.

MOT:- no issues as the CAT and DPF are untouched.
      11-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sort of - they are not 4" tho ? Or am I wrong ?
Not sure on the size but they are highly polished inside and out and fill the cut outs neatly in the diffuser
      11-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-335d View Post
Off the mark, it gets the power in quicker and when overtaking the response and down shift are quicker and stronger.

I too was sceptical when I thought about getting one for my old AMG SLK32 but that is what convinced me to get it on the 335d too. It does make a difference and its NOT the same as "mashing the throttle" see if you can find someone with one fitted and you will see what I mean. I wouldn't buy one for a manual gearbox but for an Auto, I would buy one every day of the week
Would be nice to see some pics of the exhaust.

The sprint booster is a bit like the old JB3 'pedal target' setting on the 335i, it simply works by getting you to full throttle only part way through the pedal travel. So if you get 100% throttle at 50% pedal travel if feels very sharp, but then pushing the pedal past 50% makes no more difference as you're already flat out!

So it is just like mashing the throttle, can't be anything else, but agree it feels much more responsive due to the small movement of your foot.

As your right foot is used to needing large movement to get downshifts, now it gets them with a small movement instead.

But as with the JB3 pedal target, it does change the feeling of the car, strange but true!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Would be nice to see some pics of the exhaust.

The sprint booster is a bit like the old JB3 'pedal target' setting on the 335i, it simply works by getting you to full throttle only part way through the pedal travel. So if you get 100% throttle at 50% pedal travel if feels very sharp, but then pushing the pedal past 50% makes no more difference as you're already flat out!

So it is just like mashing the throttle, can't be anything else, but agree it feels much more responsive due to the small movement of your foot.

As your right foot is used to needing large movement to get downshifts, now it gets them with a small movement instead.

But as with the JB3 pedal target, it does change the feeling of the car, strange but true!

I agree with that 100% I would also add that in an Auto, the speed of getting power to the wheels from a standstill is quicker than I can every dream of acheiving by mashing the pedal to the floor without it fitted.....again "strange but true"
      12-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

pics on new thread now
      12-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Videos please!!!....sound must be very nice!...

and maybe you should try a JB D!!!! ....get some real power!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Ohh...just seen ur sig...ur already remapped!...;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Ohh...just seen ur sig...ur already remapped!...;-)
yup 360BHP before the exhaust

Pics on a new thread today