E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Module errors, only after coding... I think!

03-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Module errors, only after coding... I think!

So... Started coding my car. I've started looking at the error messages on my modules and have come across a few things....

FRM2 - VIN error

alarm - VIN error

So the VIN numbers aren't showing up. Is this because I'm say using too newer files? too older files? I never checked this stuff before starting to code my vehicle, so can't confirm if it used to show the vin number.

Does it matter if it doesnt show?

The other issues are...

ECU Subfunction not supported

Random unknown engine error (though this I will probably have to post elsewhere.. not really coding related)

D35A D35A - PT-CAN Gateway_1

Any ideas whats going on?

I can provide any details from INPA you may need....

Last edited by Aaroona; 03-07-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

You say in the title you've been coding your cay, yet in the first line of your post you say you've been programming.

As far as I know, the only way to mess up the VIN in a module is: to program a new firmware version with winkfp and forget the VIN (I did this once); replace it with a brand new (unprogrammed) module; or deliberately clear it with Tool32. The Alarm I can see since there were no factory alarms and even dealer installed alarms are sometimes not programmed correctly, but the FRM? Is it original or has it been replaced sometime in the car's past?

There are two ways I know of to correct this: reprogram with Winkfp but only if you are changing the firmware version (trying to reflash the same version results in it going through all the motions, but not actually flashing anything); or manually edit the VIN field with Toool32. The latter is not as straightforward as you would think. I can't remember the syntax, but I did do it once upon a time to correct a mis-flashed ABS module, but in that case, the module failed to work and lit off all sorts of bells and warnings so I had no choice but to change the VIN manually.

If it's not causing any problems, I'd not worry about it. I still have a CDC and sat radio with VINs that show up like that in INPA, but they apparently don't warrant a malfunction warning so I haven't bothered trying to fix them.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Aaroona
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
You say in the title you've been coding your cay, yet in the first line of your post you say you've been programming.

As far as I know, the only way to mess up the VIN in a module is: to program a new firmware version with winkfp and forget the VIN (I did this once); replace it with a brand new (unprogrammed) module; or deliberately clear it with Tool32. The Alarm I can see since there were no factory alarms and even dealer installed alarms are sometimes not programmed correctly, but the FRM? Is it original or has it been replaced sometime in the car's past?

There are two ways I know of to correct this: reprogram with Winkfp but only if you are changing the firmware version (trying to reflash the same version results in it going through all the motions, but not actually flashing anything); or manually edit the VIN field with Toool32. The latter is not as straightforward as you would think. I can't remember the syntax, but I did do it once upon a time to correct a mis-flashed ABS module, but in that case, the module failed to work and lit off all sorts of bells and warnings so I had no choice but to change the VIN manually.

If it's not causing any problems, I'd not worry about it. I still have a CDC and sat radio with VINs that show up like that in INPA, but they apparently don't warrant a malfunction warning so I haven't bothered trying to fix them.

Okay thats reassuring. THanks for the info!
Sorry I did mean coding (i've changed it now).

the only thing I have replaced on the vehicle myself was the NOX sensor (well, an indy installed it).
Since the car is secondhand, I don't have all the history. Though when I spoke to BMW about its repair history there, they had only replaced non-related parts in its lifetime through BMW.
So unless the previous owners took it to an Indy dealer like me, I believe they're all original.

I thought the alarm was factory (when I look my car up online under www.bmwvin.com) it shows my alarm as being one of the options?

Theres actually another module that shows up as yyyyyyy - I'll grab the name of it soon.

Do you know of any easy to follow guides for either of the options you mentioned? I'm inclined to go with your idea of "don't fix it, if it ain't broke!", but I guess I can take a look at the process needed to fix it, then decide whether the efforts worth it
Appreciate 0