E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Hesitation @ low RPM

02-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #67
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

[QUOTE=justpete;21336214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post

Sounds like they didn't bleed the clutch cylinder.
Rather that than another clutch job...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #68
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

I think this clutch is going.
And the only thing I haven't replaced is a fuel pump. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #69
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post

Sounds like they didn't bleed the clutch cylinder.
Wouldn't that result in a clutch that doesn't fully disengage rather than the other way around?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #70
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

2f7b oil pressure switch plausibility
29e0 fuel oil mixture control
29e1 fuel mixture control 2
2d06 air masss system
2d29 differential pressure sensor, suction pipe plausibility
29dc cyl injection switch off

these are the codes ive pulled from my car when I first had this problem...all symptoms like you guys slight hesistation surging and even car dies atleast once or twice a month..i just pull over shut off the car and start it back up again and its good to go sometimes even runs better its been like this since about November (I installed headers and 3IM with AA tune) that's when all the problems started happening as of today still running like that but it was bareable now my car sounds like a montercarlo (not in a good way lol sounds more rumbly and went in limp mode today) very sluggish will be tackling maf and throttle body tomorrow and after that maybe coils and plugs as I already have plugs. will update tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #71
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #72
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Let me know what you find.

What else could it be - throttle positioning sensor? Fuel pump? Vacuum leak? O2 sensors?
Well, I've listed this on who-knows what threads 'round here trying to learn of a fix: so far I've replaced solenoids, MAF, VVT motor, camshaft positioning sensors (both), check valves. None fixed it. No codes, at least not active. Currently torn between a DME update (or reset to factory defaults) and other wild geese like fuel pump, o2 sensors, throttle sensor or asm, etc.

NONE of which I would have an issue replacing (love the car) but doing all for no reason is not attractive...
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #73
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90joee View Post
2d06 air masss system

these are the codes ive pulled from my car when I first had this problem...all symptoms like you guys slight hesistation surging and even car dies atleast once or twice a month..i just pull over shut off the car and start it back up again and its good to go sometimes even runs better its been like this since about November (I installed headers and 3IM with AA tune) that's when all the problems started happening as of today still running like that but it was bareable now my car sounds like a montercarlo (not in a good way lol sounds more rumbly and went in limp mode today) very sluggish will be tackling maf and throttle body tomorrow and after that maybe coils and plugs as I already have plugs. will update tomorrow.
Did you get the ECU out from its place for the tune flashing?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 01:43 AM   #74
TurnersInOz
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

2006 330i 219000KM

Reading through this thread it sounds like at least some of you have the same issue I am chasing. Here's my description:
When starting the car cold, the engine stumbles for perhaps a second, maybe two then smooths out. If I put it in gear when this is happening it surges, sometimes pretty hard.

With the car in park and idling fine if I mash the throttle to the floor it will also stumble. Most of the time it recovers and revs at which point I of course release the throttle, other times it may actually die.

Today when I went to start it after work, it took four tries to get it to stay running, and this is the worst it has been.

Since this car is new to me I am going through it and doing maintenance so I know where things stand.
As part of this and to address this issue I've replaced the MAF after cleaning the original did not help. There have not been any codes, but I will check it again since I need to reset the oil change interval anyway.

I will be happy to replace the coils if there is good indication this will help. I suspect they are pretty old, since I have not been able to disconnect the electrical connector for a few of them (I tried quickly, didn't put much effort into it... They didn't easily come off though).

After this I'll pull the DISA's and inspect and from there the throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #75
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Quote:
2d06 air masss system

Did you get the ECU out from its place for the tune flashing?
No i did it myself with simon 3
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #76
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No i did it myself with simon 3
Reason I asked you could be having electrical connection issues. Most of the codes you posted indicate lean air fuel. You may have a vacuum leak around manifold. But why you got the injector error? The MAF code indicates electrical also in my experience, but mine is 06 car so uses analog output, later years are digital output mafs. Lean may be because of fuel pump or regulator too, but then why Maf error?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #77
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnersInOz View Post
2006 330i 219000KM

Reading through this thread it sounds like at least some of you have the same issue I am chasing. Here's my description:
When starting the car cold, the engine stumbles for perhaps a second, maybe two then smooths out. If I put it in gear when this is happening it surges, sometimes pretty hard.

With the car in park and idling fine if I mash the throttle to the floor it will also stumble. Most of the time it recovers and revs at which point I of course release the throttle, other times it may actually die.

Today when I went to start it after work, it took four tries to get it to stay running, and this is the worst it has been.

Since this car is new to me I am going through it and doing maintenance so I know where things stand.
As part of this and to address this issue I've replaced the MAF after cleaning the original did not help. There have not been any codes, but I will check it again since I need to reset the oil change interval anyway.

I will be happy to replace the coils if there is good indication this will help. I suspect they are pretty old, since I have not been able to disconnect the electrical connector for a few of them (I tried quickly, didn't put much effort into it... They didn't easily come off though).

After this I'll pull the DISA's and inspect and from there the throttle body.
You may have fuel delivery problem pump or regulator. Fuel pressure measurement on the fuel rail may shed some light.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #78
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Well, car went into a limp/ studder mode on my way to work. Bank 1 and 2 o2 sensor codes, mixture codes and manifold pressure sensor code, plus 1 unknown...

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #79
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
Quote:
It happens exactly like that -

You try to accelerate from a lower RPM in a higher gear (like 1500-2000) in 2nd or 3rd and the car will stumble and then accelerate fine. It would consistently happen at the same rpm in the same gear, and I though it was a issue with the stock ECU just having hiccups.

When I installed my OE revised tune, the issue continued if not got worse. Now it's at the point now that it will actually trigger a CEL and cause the car to stumble at all RPM for a full cycle. It's not noticeable on WOT upshifts from 1st -4th, only on partial throttle/WOT in higher gears and lower RPM.

Be prepared for a coilpack replacement.
Ok, thanks ! everything sounds like what I am experiencing. You got it throw a CEL/code by just keeping at it ? Did you replace all packs or just 1 (?) that caused it ?
Check my thread with the cc id problem i have a vide up there on how it stutters just like you desrcibe it and after i checked the codes today i have about 3 misfires so ill start there
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #80
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, car went into a limp/ studder mode on my way to work. Bank 1 and 2 o2 sensor codes, mixture codes and manifold pressure sensor code, plus 1 unknown...

Thoughts?
Same this is what im getting man
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #81
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting about half of those. This is insane.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #82
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Now you have inlet air temperature sensor signal error. That is just a dummy thermistor element. You either have electrical connection problems somewhere or maybe the tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #83
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Now you have inlet air temperature sensor signal error. That is just a dummy thermistor element. You either have electrical connection problems somewhere or maybe the tune.
My sensor is brand new- same with the valvecover, etc.

Intake manifold pressor sensor error
Mixture error
O2 sensor errors
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #84
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My sensor is brand new- same with the valvecover, etc.
"Electrical connection problem" not sensor.
We take the connections to be working as granted but they don't always.
All those sensors giving error at the same time could be because of a large connector at a junction box not being seated well or got dirty pins or similar resulting in intermittent issues.
I had my share with the MAF connector but I had rich and Maf error.
The above post has errors on oil pressure switch, map, Maf and ITA sensor.
I wonder if their wires all go to the junction box under intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #85
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Did rheingold not get you anywhere?
Honestly fan I fell alseep both times sorting it out, tonight is my night though!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #86
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Let me know if you need anything.
Thank you, I mean that.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #87
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool. Let me know if you need anything.
Thank you, I mean that.
About to part out and sell at this point
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #88
TurnersInOz
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
You may have fuel delivery problem pump or regulator. Fuel pressure measurement on the fuel rail may shed some light.
Thank you PhaseP, I'll see about getting that measured.
Appreciate 0