E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Red Line oil for Manual Transmission

06-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
sparky_phantom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Question Red Line oil for Manual Transmission

I am seeing so many mixed things on the forums and Google. Some are saying use D4 or D6 automatic fluid for the manual and others are saying MTF. I am thinking I want to go with Red Line since I am changing out engine oil as well. What is everyone using currently? Any issues using a auto fluid in a manual car?

My car is a 2011 335i MT6. Thank you everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_phantom View Post
I am seeing so many mixed things on the forums and Google. Some are saying use D4 or D6 automatic fluid for the manual and others are saying MTF. I am thinking I want to go with Red Line since I am changing out engine oil as well. What is everyone using currently? Any issues using a auto fluid in a manual car?

Do not use atf in a manual. Unless you want to replace it after a few thousand miles. It's much too thin.

Use Redline MTL.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

I'd reccomend Redline D4 ATF. I have used both and the D4 ATF makes the notchiness between gears much smoother.

I read about and debated between D4 ATF and MTL for a long time when I did mine and I'm happy I went with the ATF. Read here:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13
      06-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
I'd reccomend Redline D4 ATF. I have used both and the D4 ATF makes the notchiness between gears much smoother.

I read about and debated between D4 ATF and MTL for a long time when I did mine and I'm happy I went with the ATF. Read here:

+1 for D4 ATF. I use it and it works very nicely. I've used MTL also but D4 works better in area of warmer climates.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
ViperZ
Rep
Drives: 2010 335ix M-Sport / 06 E46 M3

Quote:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thanks for the info and link. That was a good read, as I use to have a 1992 E36 325i, that had a manual transmission. When I bought it in 1996, I swapped out the manual fluid to Amsoil synthetic MTF, and it suffered the 1 to 2nd gear grind. It worked fine before and I thought I was doing a good thing just swapping over to a synthetic oil. As we later discovered back then, my car had the red dot on the bell housing, thus we drained and loaded the transmission case with Amsoil synthetic ATF, this fixed the grinding problem with synthetic MTF. I was amazed that this was so particular of an issue.

Fast forward to today. I just recently purchased a new to me 2010 335ix with 6sp manual, 133,000kms. It had a notchy 1 to 2 gear shift, nothing serious, but just not as smooth as 2 to 3rd or any other combo. I was hoping an oil change would fix this. Searching around the net, I found this this and many other threads that seems to recommend the Redline D4.

So now that its started to get colder about -4C in the mornings, I'm now getting a grind during my first shift from 1st to 2nd, after that it does not do it and returns to just notchnyess. I'm hoping this Redline D4 can help this.

Checking Redline's site, both the D4 and D6 is recommended for my car. I'm not sure which to try, however I submitted an email to Redline asking.

Anybody here experience the same issue I have and solved it with either or of the oils?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but thanks for the info and link. That was a good read, as I use to have a 1992 E36 325i, that had a manual transmission. When I bought it in 1996, I swapped out the manual fluid to Amsoil synthetic MTF, and it suffered the 1 to 2nd gear grind. It worked fine before and I thought I was doing a good thing just swapping over to a synthetic oil. As we later discovered back then, my car had the red dot on the bell housing, thus we drained and loaded the transmission case with Amsoil synthetic ATF, this fixed the grinding problem with synthetic MTF. I was amazed that this was so particular of an issue.

Fast forward to today. I just recently purchased a new to me 2010 335ix with 6sp manual, 133,000kms. It had a notchy 1 to 2 gear shift, nothing serious, but just not as smooth as 2 to 3rd or any other combo. I was hoping an oil change would fix this. Searching around the net, I found this this and many other threads that seems to recommend the Redline D4.

So now that its started to get colder about -4C in the mornings, I'm now getting a grind during my first shift from 1st to 2nd, after that it does not do it and returns to just notchnyess. I'm hoping this Redline D4 can help this.

Checking Redline's site, both the D4 and D6 is recommended for my car. I'm not sure which to try, however I submitted an email to Redline asking.

Anybody here experience the same issue I have and solved it with either or of the oils?

Thanks!
I have done 2 changes with D4 ATF since I purchased the car and am still happy with it. Ran it for 30k, probably would have been fine for double that, but I don't put many miles on the car, so I change fluids more frequently mileage wise.

I'd be interested to hear what Redline responds to you with.
      10-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Has anyone ever put GM Synchromesh in our e90 manual transmissions?

In my other car, a VW Golf, my 3rd gear would grind every shift starting around 100k miles. I put synchromesh in at 120k miles and its never ground again, currently sitting at 225k. It shifts really smooth too.

It worked wonders in my VW and has felt perfect ever since, so I'd love to treat my BMW with the same stuff if it's not going to cause any damage!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
ViperZ
Rep

Quote:
I have done 2 changes with D4 ATF since I purchased the car and am still happy with it. Ran it for 30k, probably would have been fine for double that, but I don't put many miles on the car, so I change fluids more frequently mileage wise.

I'd be interested to hear what Redline responds to you with.
Thanks!

Redline recommends I use the D6, so I purchased 3 qrts, and maybe will get it swapped out this week.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
ViperZ
Rep

So I just had the Redline D6 installed. It took slightly less than 2 qrts.

No change in the notchy crunchy feel in 1st to 2nd The oil that came out wasn’t too bad, and the tech said it looked typical of a 130k Kms.

If anything I feel the tranny is a bit more crunchy, but it could just me being over sensitive to it now looking for the butter smoothness I was hoping for (somehow I suspected it would not make a drastic change). I’ll see tomorrow morning if my first shift of the day grind is solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:

No change in the notchy crunchy feel in 1st to 2nd The oil that came out wasn’t too bad, and the tech said it looked typical of a 130k Kms.

If anything I feel the tranny is a bit more crunchy, but it could just me being over sensitive to it now looking for the butter smoothness I was hoping for (somehow I suspected it would not make a drastic change). I’ll see tomorrow morning if my first shift of the day grind is solved.
You should be the guinea pig for my synchromesh question. I swear the stuff is magic.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
ViperZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Quote:

You should be the guinea pig for my synchromesh question. I swear the stuff is magic.
Ha ha or you should try and let me know 😁 if you are having the same issue.

I mean eventually I may get over the crunchy feel. However I've driven many manuals for many years and this is the first time it's been so apparent to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:

I mean eventually I may get over the crunchy feel. However I've driven many manuals for many years and this is the first time it's been so apparent to me.
Mine shifts just fine but I'm at 100k and wanna change it just to get fresh fluid in there. I'm really thinking about doing the Synchromesh, but no one seems to have really done it except one guy i found on google.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
ViperZ
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine shifts just fine but I'm at 100k and wanna change it just to get fresh fluid in there. I'm really thinking about doing the Synchromesh, but no one seems to have really done it except one guy i found on google.
Lucky you!

In spite of that Redline recommended the D6, and my Tech also recommending the D6, I can see my self trying the D4 yet, to see if it's the silver bullet.

I was thinking when the tranny was cold it was less crunchy, however it is also the cause of the synchro grind as once it's warmed or shifted once, the grind goes away. The tell tale will be if the D6 fixes the grind or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Lucky you!

In spite of that Redline recommended the D6, and my Tech also recommending the D6, I can see my self trying the D4 yet, to see if it's the silver bullet.

I was thinking when the tranny was cold it was less crunchy, however it is also the cause of the synchro grind as once it's warmed or shifted once, the grind goes away. The tell tale will be if the D6 fixes the grind or not.
If you can't get that grind to go away you should seriously consider synchromesh though, even if its just as an experiment.

In my VW before synchromesh I couldnt shift 2nd to 3rd without it crunching unless i went really really slow with it, once i put synchromesh in, i can pretty much slam it as fast as i can 2nd to 3rd with no issues at all, and its been perfect for the past 100k miles or more.

I got the stuff form Auto Zone, I didnt even get the GM dealer stuff (which people say is better for whatever reason).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
ViperZ
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lucky you!

If you can't get that grind to go away you should seriously consider synchromesh though, even if its just as an experiment.

In my VW before synchromesh I couldnt shift 2nd to 3rd without it crunching unless i went really really slow with it, once i put synchromesh in, i can pretty much slam it as fast as i can 2nd to 3rd with no issues at all, and its been perfect for the past 100k miles or more.

I got the stuff form Auto Zone, I didnt even get the GM dealer stuff (which people say is better for whatever reason).

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah good thing it's nothing really serious but I'm going to keep on this. My Tech said it may take a bit more driving for the D6 to work it self into the synchros and push out the old stuff so give it some time. Still it's not as subtle of a snick as going from 2nd to 3rd. If it was like that I would be more than happy. Like I said I can live with the 2nd gear crunch, as long as the first grind of the morning is gone. We'll see.

The other side is the car has a comprehensive warranty until 2020 or 178,000 Kms, the previous owner bought a transferable extended warranty, so if this persists, I will have to explore that as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #16
ViperZ
Rep

Well, it doesn't seem like my issues are solved. The 1-2 is still notchy at times, and I still get the occasional first shift in the morning 1-2 grind.

Notes:

The 1-2 shift is less notchy if shifted above 3500 rpm, still not silky, but better.

First shift of the day, once started, if I run through all the gears a few times while warming up, before I drive off, the chances of the 1-2 grind is minimized.

Looks like I just have to live with it, or try D4 next and see how that works, but I'm pretty skeptical at this time. It will be interesting to see what happens once it starts to get to be -20, -30C around here.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_phantom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Do not use atf in a manual. Unless you want to replace it after a few thousand miles. It's much too thin.

Use Redline MTL.

Yes I read this to.

OP I had the same thought and confusion it was so bad. I just did my change and went with some OEM spec fluid that is MTF LT 4 rated and 75W80. I used the Febi from FCP Euro https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/min...id-83220403247.

I wouldn't run ATF either because as other say usually it's thinner. OE spec is always a better idea IMO.

EDIT: Aaaaand this thread is from 2015.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Well, it doesn't seem like my issues are solved. The 1-2 is still notchy at times, and I still get the occasional first shift in the morning 1-2 grind.

Notes:

The 1-2 shift is less notchy if shifted above 3500 rpm, still not silky, but better.

First shift of the day, once started, if I run through all the gears a few times while warming up, before I drive off, the chances of the 1-2 grind is minimized.

Looks like I just have to live with it, or try D4 next and see how that works, but I'm pretty skeptical at this time. It will be interesting to see what happens once it starts to get to be -20, -30C around here.
I experience the same notchiness feel which is perfectly normal IMO. It has been very very notchy the past day at about -5c also wondering how it will be -30c but I'm sure at -5 it will feel the same. But the notch in first and second is just something these cars have.

But the grind yeah... that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
ViperZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:

Notes:

I experience the same notchiness feel which is perfectly normal IMO. It has been very very notchy the past day at about -5c also wondering how it will be -30c but I'm sure at -5 it will feel the same. But the notch in first and second is just something these cars have.

But the grind yeah... that's another story.
I may live with it longer seeing if I can work around it, or have it accessed. The problem is it only happens randomly, once in the mornings. So leaving it with a tech/shop could be hit or miss. I may need to set up a video of it.

I certainly don't remember any transmission in my life being this notchy, I'm sure it's a weak assed 2nd gear synchro. However many here say this is typical, so it tempers me and makes accepting it easier 😁 my friends have driven it and said I'm being sensitive 🤔

I have an extended warranty on the car for another 2 years and may explore this.
Appreciate 0