E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Error codes

10-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Juleanne31
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Error codes

Went and had my car scanned for error codes. It said P16A3. Anyone else have this problem with their BMW?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juleanne31 View Post
Went and had my car scanned for error codes. It said P16A3. Anyone else have this problem with their BMW?
In the larger sense, a LOT of people have had that problem with their BMW.

You have someone read Fault Codes and they give you a number but no Definition & NO Interpretation??!! What is the Definition of that Fault Code? At what mileage & engine conditions (Freeze Frame Data) was that Fault Code saved in DME memory? Is the Fault currently present? Would it set a warning light on the dash? ANY decent scan tool or code reader will give you a general Definition of the code AND some or most of that additional information, and if you are just getting a number, that is NOT helpful. INPA will give you ALL of that info.

Bentley gives the following definition of P16A3 (same as BMW FC 2AB4):
P16A3 | 2AB4 | Internal Control Module Checksum Fault in Non-Volatile Memory.

In simplest terms, that means data received/saved by the ECU "doesn't add up" or is inconsistent/incorrect as compared to what some other saved value/function says it should be.

That may have been a one-time hiccup, transient event, which one would simply clear and check periodically to see if it or any other fault code recurs.

So, before anyone can give you any meaningful advice on what to do next, we need to know answers to these questions:

1) What if any warning lights, SES light, etc. did/do you have on your dash BEFORE you had the "scan" done, and NOW?
2) Did whoever "scanned your car" clear the P16A3 code?
3) What "Scan Tool", device or software was used to "scan your car"?
4) What "Electronic Control Modules" did that person actually connect to and read codes from -- JUST the Engine Control Module (DME)? There are ~ 20 other modules in the car in which fault codes can be saved.
5) What condition, symptoms or performance faults did your car have BEFORE the code was read, and/or does it NOW have?
6) I assume there was SOME warning light or condition of your vehicle that caused you to have the scan done? What was that?

This isn't rocket science, but it is science -- knowledge, and it requires SOME thought and evaluation of data.

George
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
ShaggySr
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
In the larger sense, a LOT of people have had that problem with their BMW.

You have someone read Fault Codes and they give you a number but no Definition & NO Interpretation??!! What is the Definition of that Fault Code? At what mileage & engine conditions (Freeze Frame Data) was that Fault Code saved in DME memory? Is the Fault currently present? Would it set a warning light on the dash? ANY decent scan tool or code reader will give you a general Definition of the code AND some or most of that additional information, and if you are just getting a number, that is NOT helpful. INPA will give you ALL of that info.

Bentley gives the following definition of P16A3 (same as BMW FC 2AB4):
P16A3 | 2AB4 | Internal Control Module Checksum Fault in Non-Volatile Memory.

In simplest terms, that means data received/saved by the ECU "doesn't add up" or is inconsistent/incorrect as compared to what some other saved value/function says it should be.

That may have been a one-time hiccup, transient event, which one would simply clear and check periodically to see if it or any other fault code recurs.

So, before anyone can give you any meaningful advice on what to do next, we need to know answers to these questions:

1) What if any warning lights, SES light, etc. did/do you have on your dash BEFORE you had the "scan" done, and NOW?
2) Did whoever "scanned your car" clear the P16A3 code?
3) What "Scan Tool", device or software was used to "scan your car"?
4) What "Electronic Control Modules" did that person actually connect to and read codes from -- JUST the Engine Control Module (DME)? There are ~ 20 other modules in the car in which fault codes can be saved.
5) What condition, symptoms or performance faults did your car have BEFORE the code was read, and/or does it NOW have?
6) I assume there was SOME warning light or condition of your vehicle that caused you to have the scan done? What was that?

This isn't rocket science, but it is science -- knowledge, and it requires SOME thought and evaluation of data.

George
Please Help me out with the codes I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the codes or fix it. I'm told my e90 sedan needs vrsf downpipe fix to clear code

Last edited by ShaggySr; 11-10-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Hey what’s up everyone,
I just installed a JB4 on a 2007 335i and selected map 1. Immediately upon starting the car it idled and ran smooth, however upon driving the car while it revved smoothly it just didn’t feel like it went through the rpm range as smoothly as before, felt like it was struggling just a bit. Then I got a few stumbles here and there driving normally and also on a wot pull. and then again in 4th gear while merging onto the highway at part throttle but no check engine light. A bit concerned since this never happened before I drove back home and scanned with jb4 for codes and got 2AB4 Internal Control Module Checksum Fault in Non-Volatile Memory. I cleared the code and had to leave it home. The only other mod I have is an ER charge pipe. The coils, plugs (stock Bosch) and injectors (index 12) were all replaced in January of this year and have about 5k miles on them.
I searched and didn’t really find anything definitive on what causes this code, so hopefully someone with experience can chime in. I’ll probably be able to go over the install this weekend and make sure all looks good and do some logging. Just wanted to see if anyone had some info they can share in advance of this weekend.

Thanks!
Rube
Appreciate 0