E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Idrive firmware update ?

03-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Nicomons
France
Rep
Drives: 525d f10 2010

Idrive firmware update ?

Hi,
Does anyone Knows if it is possible to update the idrive software using the coding cable ?
      03-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I have done it on my E60 with the same cable I use for NCS.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Nicomons
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Where Can I find the last firmware for a 2007 idrive ?
      03-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
kickdown
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA

It should be included in the latest version of SSS Progman or BMW ISTA Software.
Bulgarian Forum: You ask a question...5 people starts explaining you how dumb you are, for asking such a stupid question!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Nicomons
France
Rep

And where CAN i dwl it ?
      03-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
kickdown
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA

Search torrents and russian bmw sites.
Bulgarian Forum: You ask a question...5 people starts explaining you how dumb you are, for asking such a stupid question!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Nicomons
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickdown View Post
Search torrents and russian bmw sites.
Thanks for your answer...But I don't find any torrent about that firmware. I only find the one for MK IV GPS system, but I have a 2007 E90. If someone can post a DIY I will thank him ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's not going to be a CD/DVD based update like the navigation maps. You'll need to connect your car to Progman or ISTA/P and update the firmware, just like updating the DME.

Over a OBDII link it'll take about 16+ hours to update all the iDrive component firmware (there's 5 different components), you'll need to make sure you have a stable power supply connected to the car (not a battery charger) otherwise you'll risk trashing the CCC computer.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Nicomons
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
It's not going to be a CD/DVD based update like the navigation maps. You'll need to connect your car to Progman or ISTA/P and update the firmware, just like updating the DME.

Over a OBDII link it'll take about 16 hours to update all the iDrive component firmware (there's 5 different components), you'll need to make sure you have a stable power supply connected to the car (not a battery charger) otherwise you'll risk trashing the CCC computer.
Ouch !!! 16 hours !!! The problem Will be my car battery... Not my computer one. and do you have a link to dl the last ista program ? What is the risk to update the firmware himself? Can I loose some options ?
      03-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicomons View Post
Ouch !!! 16 hours !!! The problem Will be my car battery... Not my computer one. and do you have a link to dl the last ista program ? What is the risk to update the firmware himself? Can I loose some options ?
If you don't know what you are doing you really shouldn't be updating the firmware yourself. Getting ista to work alone is already challenging. It's not as simple as download a software and click run. It's very risky and you could potentially brick it.
      03-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
If you don't know what you are doing you really shouldn't be updating the firmware yourself. Getting ista to work alone is already challenging. It's not as simple as download a software and click run. It's very risky and you could potentially brick it.
I have to agree with outie on this one. I would start with learning/playing with coding your own car first then move to programming after some time.

You should *never* update the programming on your car without a stable power supply connected to your car. Never attempt to update the firmware on the car's battery power alone, you will seriously harm your ECU's. I have a $400 power supply that supplies a stable 13.8 volts to the car at all times (selectable from 13v to 14.8v) and a cloned OPS head for programming things like the iDrive over the fibre optic MOST port in the car and even then I get a little nervous every time I hit the "update" button.

Being that you are in France, you probably have alot of independent shops around that carry Autologic units, I would get one of them to handle the software update on your car, it would probably be cheaper than buying most of the equipment you need to properly flash the car. Unless, of course, you are a hard core DIYer and spending a couple hundred dollars on equipment isn't a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:13 AM   #12
Nicomons
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
I have to agree with outie on this one. I would start with learning/playing with coding your own car first then move to programming after some time.

You should *never* update the programming on your car without a stable power supply connected to your car. Never attempt to update the firmware on the car's battery power alone, you will seriously harm your ECU's. I have a $400 power supply that supplies a stable 13.8 volts to the car at all times (selectable from 13v to 14.8v) and a cloned OPS head for programming things like the iDrive over the fibre optic MOST port in the car and even then I get a little nervous every time I hit the "update" button.

Being that you are in France, you probably have alot of independent shops around that carry Autologic units, I would get one of them to handle the software update on your car, it would probably be cheaper than buying most of the equipment you need to properly flash the car. Unless, of course, you are a hard core DIYer and spending a couple hundred dollars on equipment isn't a problem.
I agree with you...I did not think it should be so long and so risked...Thanks for your answers.
      03-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
herbie333
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530i 2005

Power Source

Hi Guys,

I have a BMW OPS and am looking to re-code my car too. I want to update the CCC so it includes sat nav and include a Dension 500 gateway.

I think I have everything but now that I need to update the car's control modules. My only concern is the power supply. I need to source one or go buy one.

At the moment I can get one which is a bench DC power supply. It can supply a regulated 13.8V up to 25A. My question is will this be enough or do I need more amps??

Also, what is the best way to connect this to the car when programming??

Thanks a million in advance,

Herbie
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
BMW requires one capable of up to 70amp.

I use a Schumacher INC-700. Runs you about $400 online.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Also, just as a word of warning coming from experience.

You mentioned that you have an OPS head. If it's a chinese clone OPS head, take special caution regarding MOST (fibre optic) programming. The chinese clone makers like to say that MOST functionality works perfectly and is stable, but I've found on several occasions that's not true, usually due to substandard electronics on the on fibre optic transceiver built into the unit.

Unfortunately, Progman/SSS's error recovery for failed flashes or recovery for a communications interuption between the software and the head isn't all that great usually resulting in an unresponsive module. ISTA/P's error recovery is much more advanced and recovers from 99.99% of all failures without bricking a module.

To your question about where to connect the power supply, connect it to the terminals under the hood, just like you would if jumpstarting the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Stiga
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325D E93 Sports Design

Hi Nicomons,

I've got a 325D E93 and a 320D E90 and was wondering about the idrive firmware update (maps are easy download). Did you make any progress?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
umermariner
Rep
Drives: E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
I have a 2006 E60, and I think the firmware was never updated (I just bought it).
I will really appreciate if you can answer the following questions. I am getting into coding, and will do it off course once I get comfortable... just want to prepare myself

1. What would be the benefit of firmware updates? Can I get the latest features?... like BMW apps etc?

2. When you say continuous supply required for 16 hours, I guess having the car start wont work (bcz its software is being updated), however; what about continuous jump from another car? Or I have heavy duty Duracell Jumper/ charger, what if I connect it with the car, and keep it connected to electricity? Risky??

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
I have a 2006 E60, and I think the firmware was never updated (I just bought it).
I will really appreciate if you can answer the following questions. I am getting into coding, and will do it off course once I get comfortable... just want to prepare myself

1. What would be the benefit of firmware updates? Can I get the latest features?... like BMW apps etc?
No. About the only thing you'll gain on the CCC is some new color scheme for the iDrive screens and you'll lose your voice control (the newer firmware requires you have the FSC code for your VIN to activate voice control). If your current system won't play CDs burned with MP3s, then you have about the only legitimate reason I can think of to upgrade. I'm not sure on the E60, but E90s made before around October 2005 had the MP3 feature disabled because of a hardware problem. Later firmware (V32 I think) was able to work around this hardware bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
2. When you say continuous supply required for 16 hours, I guess having the car start wont work (bcz its software is being updated), however; what about continuous jump from another car? Or I have heavy duty Duracell Jumper/ charger, what if I connect it with the car, and keep it connected to electricity? Risky??

Thanks again
That would be pretty dangerous as you'd have to leave the other car running the whole time to supply the proper voltage (13.8 V or more--an idle battery only give about 12.2 max). You really need a professional grade power supply, not a charger, capable of 13.8 V continuous at 20 amps with the ability to handle spikes of up to 40 amps.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
umermariner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
No. About the only thing you'll gain on the CCC is some new color scheme for the iDrive screens and you'll lose your voice control (the newer firmware requires you have the FSC code for your VIN to activate voice control). If your current system won't play CDs burned with MP3s, then you have about the only legitimate reason I can think of to upgrade. I'm not sure on the E60, but E90s made before around October 2005 had the MP3 feature disabled because of a hardware problem. Later firmware (V32 I think) was able to work around this hardware bug.

That would be pretty dangerous as you'd have to leave the other car running the whole time to supply the proper voltage (13.8 V or more--an idle battery only give about 12.2 max). You really need a professional grade power supply, not a charger, capable of 13.8 V continuous at 20 amps with the ability to handle spikes of up to 40 amps.
Hmmmmmmmm... thanks .. Actually, I have the mp3 functionality, and also the voice recognition. When you say I will loose Voice Recognition, and will need FSC code, can it be done as well? More colors would be nice , however; wouldnt want to loose functionality.
BTW, would updating firmware help me hook up iPod (I want to replace the current CDC (CD Changer) with OEM iPod hookup .
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep

I really don't know. I assume you mean the 6FL retrofit and all the info I have seen on that is for non iDrive retrofits. Forum user Technic is the only one I can think of that might know more about this. At any rate, I don't think it requires any firmware updates (if you can play MP3s already), just coding changes to the VO and CAPPL.

I added a Dension 500 to my system and I only use a thumb drive with MP3s. It supposedly works with iPods but I've never hooked one up to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
umermariner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
I really don't know. I assume you mean the 6FL retrofit and all the info I have seen on that is for non iDrive retrofits. Forum user Technic is the only one I can think of that might know more about this. At any rate, I don't think it requires any firmware updates (if you can play MP3s already), just coding changes to the VO and CAPPL.

I added a Dension 500 to my system and I only use a thumb drive with MP3s. It supposedly works with iPods but I've never hooked one up to it.
How would you rate Dension in comparison with OEM iPod integration? Also, cost? OEM iPod is costing me around 350 in parts ... 250 online though
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know anything about the OEM ipod integration. I've never even owned an ipod.
Appreciate 0