E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Question: Full bolt on, stock tune.

02-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
mirracobmx40
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Question: Full bolt on, stock tune.

So before I start, I'm new to this forum but had an e46 and was on e46fanatics previously. Now that I have a 335 I am new to turbo bmws so I have some questions and want to explain what has been done to the car so you all can have a better understanding. I've searched for this answer but didn't find a solid thread.

I have a full bolt on 335 (n54) with catless downpipes and methanol injection + upgraded injectors. I previously had a tune on it (MHD) but no longer have the android phone or the login for the google play account I bought the licenses on (my fault, I'll buy a new license soon). I took the car to the dealer for multiple recalls while I had the tune and I guess they re-flashed the ECU to a stock tune? Ever since I've gotten multiple emissions/SES codes multiple times throughout a single drive.

Since they're all codes for o2 sensors and cats, I've simply cleared the codes whenever they pop up and continue to drive the car. it's annoying because it's a daily practice, but it's a temp solution until I tune again. This solution kind of works but sometimes I see a ton of white smoke coming out of the driver side tailpipe. Nothing out of the passenger side. Clear the codes, start the engine, no smoke, good to go. Until yesterday. No engine light, read codes anyway, nothing. Smoking like crazy. Floor it down the street thinking I could clear up the smoke and left a cloud of smoke behind me. Then the car was back to normal. Before this I've only seen the smoke with an engine code.

Is there something wrong with the car? And if I continue to just clear the emissions codes and drive it as normal (as annoying as it is) will/is it causing damage to the engine? I just passed 70k on original turbos (I think) no wastegate rattle and no weird idle or oil leaks.

And for the simple solution of "just buy another MHD license" I just graduated college so the money for that is on the bottom of the totem pole at the moment.

Sorry for the long post, but any insight would be amazing.
'08 e92 335i | 19t 25psi e54, ARM 1k fmic, 2 inch inlets/outlets, Catless Downpipes, Titanium Charge Pipe, Dual Cone Intakes, BMP stage 2 bucketless lpfp | dual? oil coolers | index 12 | TiAL Sport Blow Off Valve | 7 gal Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection w/ aem controller | BBS CH-R | 600whp | MHD | xHP
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
MooreBoost
Stand-up Philosopher
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i

Any perceived correlation between clearing the codes and getting rid of the smoke is almost certainly a coincidence.

You're not hurting anything by clearing the codes, but you do likely have an oil leak somewhere; perhaps turbo seals.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
mirracobmx40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBoost View Post
Any perceived correlation between clearing the codes and getting rid of the smoke is almost certainly a coincidence.

You're not hurting anything by clearing the codes, but you do likely have an oil leak somewhere; perhaps turbo seals.
Could it be the oil filter housing gasket? I haven't checked mine but I know that's a known issue for leaks...
'08 e92 335i | 19t 25psi e54, ARM 1k fmic, 2 inch inlets/outlets, Catless Downpipes, Titanium Charge Pipe, Dual Cone Intakes, BMP stage 2 bucketless lpfp | dual? oil coolers | index 12 | TiAL Sport Blow Off Valve | 7 gal Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection w/ aem controller | BBS CH-R | 600whp | MHD | xHP
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirracobmx40 View Post
Quote:

Could it be the oil filter housing gasket? I haven't checked mine but I know that's a known issue for leaks...
Just replaced the OFHG on my FBO car and before doing it there was no smoke. On mine and I'm assuming most when the OFHG leaks it drips down the front of the engine, that's also how it can get onto the belt.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Glando7
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just replaced the OFHG on my FBO car and before doing it there was no smoke. On mine and I'm assuming most when the OFHG leaks it drips down the front of the engine, that's also how it can get onto the belt.

More than likely turbo seals. I'm my experience at about 80k Id get a darker gray smoke smoke out the tail pipes ALOT + O2 sensor codes. Prior to I was running fbo stock turbo with serious waste rattle. Was constantly adding oil every couple thousand miles. Bout 12k miles later the smoke color changed. It's now a whiteish/light blue smoke and I was to the point where I was adding coolant. So.... Coolant and oil leaking through. Needless to say the car has been parked waiting for some new parts. It's drivable but embarrassingly drivable. On a MHD bef with about 30% ethanol I drove it straight to and from the dyno and made 368whp 395wtq smoking like a chimney.

Inspect your turbos if you can. It sounds like the issue I have. Your mileage may vary.
2007 BMW 335i Sedan | Pyrite Brown Metallic | JB4 G5 | BMS DCI | N54 Tuning **’s | 6 MT/MCV | Wagner FMIC | Fuel IT LPFP Stage 2 | BMS OCC | ER CP | Forge DVs | M3 Control Arms U+L | Hawk Brake Pads | BC Racing Coilovers | MeganRacing Toe Arms |Lux Angel Eyes | “18 Apex FL5 | UUC SS
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

So you have no money for just the MHD license but you bought a N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
MooreBoost
Stand-up Philosopher
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i

Quote:
You might have that issue but it's not causing the smoke.

The smoke from your exhaust is indicative that oil is being burned somehow. Either leaky turbo seals or less likely, valve stem seals.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
mirracobmx40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The smoke from your exhaust is indicative that oil is being burned somehow. Either leaky turbo seals or less likely, valve stem seals.
You mentioned that the smoke and code clearing is almost purely coincidental, but I've been driving the car like this for over a month now. Without fail, whenever I clear the codes and start the car back up, there is no smoke at all.

There are a number of codes I get like p2c6c, 2c7f and a few others which just relate to lambda probe warnings but the one that caught my attention was p114d (2 codes, one stored and one pending). This is lean fuel trim bank 2 after catalyst. The engine thinks there is too much air so it dumps more fuel in. Could the smoke be excess fuel just being burned off?

It doesn't look like thick white smoke. More like the normal smoke you see coming out of tail pipes on all cars in the winter, except a lot more of it. And I'm in a warm climate so it's not just cold weather and normal exhaust I'm seeing here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You mentioned that the smoke and code clearing is almost purely coincidental, but I've been driving the car like this for over a month now. Without fail, whenever I clear the codes and start the car back up, there is no smoke at all.

There are a number of codes I get like p2c6c, 2c7f and a few others which just relate to lambda probe warnings but the one that caught my attention was p114d (2 codes, one stored and one pending). This is lean fuel trim bank 2 after catalyst. The engine thinks there is too much air so it dumps more fuel in. Could the smoke be excess fuel just being burned off?

It doesn't look like thick white smoke. More like the normal smoke you see coming out of tail pipes on all cars in the winter, except a lot more of it. And I'm in a warm climate so it's not just cold weather and normal exhaust I'm seeing here.
How old are your post cat o2 sensors? They monitor fuel trims
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
mirracobmx40
Private
Rep

Not sure. I didn't install the exhaust system on the car. The previous owner did. He had the car for less than a year though and I've had it for about 8/9 months now.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Own the wrong car if $150 is a stretch
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0