E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328i whining noise. PS pump?

02-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

2011 328i whining noise. PS pump?

Full on fluid. Its that whirr at idle and rev no matter what. Used mechanics steth on pulleys and all felt fine except if I stuck it into tensioner where you use the t60 i would get a few tapping noises here and there but with the PS reservoir it was seeming to really make the noise I was hearing with the resivor and hoses.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pulleys seem to all be smooth but slight wobble in belt. Changing it and ofhg Wednesday but wondering you guys have heard anything like this. Should I change them as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #3
drtmvr
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i SULEV

Have 2011 e92 SULEV with same sound. Have pretty much given up on diagnosing. Seems to quiet when the belt is removed but not sure. Changed steering fluid and filter. Kind of sounds like it comes from valve train with belt off but not sure. Sounds like trans but comes from front of engine. Have asked serice writers to have it checked the few times it went to a shop, but they never respond. Dont think mechanics can diagnose either.
Guess I have to live with it and just leave the radio on
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:12 AM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadogggy View Post

Pulleys seem to all be smooth but slight wobble in belt. Changing it and ofhg Wednesday but wondering you guys have heard anything like this. Should I change them as well?
Have you tried removing the belt and starting your car? As drtmvr mentioned below, this is a good diagnostic technique. Based on the sound it’s almost certainly something belt driven.

I’ve had a failing P/S pump before (and a noisy rack...) and neither sounded like what you have. My AC compressor is making some noise at times and sounds much more like what you’re experiencing.

If the noise goes away when you run your car without the belt, try picking up a Bando 6PK1105 belt or equivalent and installing it per the instructions in this tutorial. This shorter belt will allow you to bypass the AC compressor. If your noise goes away, there’s your issue.

Worth a shot if the belt removal test results in no noise.
      02-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #5
Finngo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtmvr View Post
Have 2011 e92 SULEV with same sound. Have pretty much given up on diagnosing. Seems to quiet when the belt is removed but not sure. Changed steering fluid and filter. Kind of sounds like it comes from valve train with belt off but not sure. Sounds like trans but comes from front of engine. Have asked serice writers to have it checked the few times it went to a shop, but they never respond. Dont think mechanics can diagnose either.
Guess I have to live with it and just leave the radio on
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
tonnyguetta
Rep
Drives: BMW

If there is slow response from steering the wheel, this is likely some issue with the pump. Or it may be low levels of fluids. So, there is a good chance that you will hear the whining noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #7
OLI77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i ZSP, E93 328i

I have come to think that this engine is whinny. Changed alternator and power steering pump and the whinne on my 2010 328 went down, a bit. Then changed idler pulley and noise went down more.

And, I was happy until I realized, it is still whinny. Could be my AC compressor. It's not the tensioner (still spins with resistance, not free-speening).

I could bypass the ac compressor and buy a shorter belt to try that, as others around here have done when diagnosing a whine. Decided to live with it and think it's a pretty whinny engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLI77 View Post
I have come to think that this engine is whinny. Changed alternator and power steering pump and the whinne on my 2010 328 went down, a bit. Then changed idler pulley and noise went down more.

And, I was happy until I realized, it is still whinny. Could be my AC compressor. It's not the tensioner (still spins with resistance, not free-speening).

I could bypass the ac compressor and buy a shorter belt to try that, as others around here have done when diagnosing a whine. Decided to live with it and think it's a pretty whinny engine.
My AC compressor is pretty whiny. The noise goes completely away if I turn off the AC button (snowflake) on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
OLI77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i ZSP, E93 328i

Then I guess it is not my AC compressor, the last untested element in my story, because AC on or not, does not change whine.

Surprised it does in your case because the pulley is turning either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #10
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLI77 View Post
Then I guess it is not my AC compressor, the last untested element in my story, because AC on or not, does not change whine.

Surprised it does in your case because the pulley is turning either way.
Same here, has no effect on it. Like I said I used stethoscope on power steering pump and it is the exact noise I hear. Probably going to live with it as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Chasing down a belt related problem today I started it without the belt and noise was gone. Just replaced idler and tensioner so it's not them. AC and alt seem fine no noises, but my PS pulley makes a clicking noise when spun, but doesnt feel bound or too free spinning. I swear I did see a video where someone else power steering pulley made the same click noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not my video, but this is almost exactly how mine is
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I got my 2011 328i in Sept 2019, with 53K miles, and it was whiny when I bought it. I actually took it to a BMW shop, and they didn't 'hear' anything. So maybe they all whine!

I did remove the belt and actually drove the car, which you can do. You just have to deal with stiff steering. Remember the water pump is electric.

To tell the truth, I couldn't say whether most of the noise went away. That said, when I put a stethoscope to the alternator, the whine is there.

I'm kind of waiting for the whine to get worse before I do anything, as I don't want to spend thousands chasing 'smoke'.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #14
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Upon further pulley spinning I can hear my ac pulley making a slight noise when spun which im guessing means its shot. Guess I'll try the bypass and save up some cash as there is no way I can swing a new compressor right now. At least it's cold in PA still lol
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Have you tried removing the belt and starting your car? As drtmvr mentioned below, this is a good diagnostic technique. Based on the sound it’s almost certainly something belt driven.

I’ve had a failing P/S pump before (and a noisy rack...) and neither sounded like what you have. My AC compressor is making some noise at times and sounds much more like what you’re experiencing.

If the noise goes away when you run your car without the belt, try picking up a Bando 6PK1105 belt or equivalent and installing it per the instructions in this tutorial. This shorter belt will allow you to bypass the AC compressor. If your noise goes away, there’s your issue.

Is Bando a quality belt? Reading a few not so good reviews on them, but I just need something to last me 3 months until I can get a new compressor.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Is Bando a quality belt? Reading a few not so good reviews on them, but I just need something to last me 3 months until I can get a new compressor.
Honestly not sure. I would say use an equivalent from another brand if you don’t feel comfortable with Bando. I’d think for 3 months or so you’d be okay though.

My money’s on the AC compressor. Definitely let us know whether the bypass solves the noise.

PS pump is dead easy to replace. AC compressor on the other hand....

03-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Honestly not sure. I would say use an equivalent from another brand if you don’t feel comfortable with Bando. I’d think for 3 months or so you’d be okay though.

My money’s on the AC compressor. Definitely let us know whether the bypass solves the noise.

PS pump is dead easy to replace. AC compressor on the other hand....

Would just a pulley replacement be worth it? Does anybody know if the compressor is a 7SEU17C because if so I can get a new pulley for one from a buddy pretty damn cheap. Noise is constant whether ac is on or off so I'm guessing it's the bearing. I'm smaller framed too can definitely get my hands in there if its doable.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #18
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Would just a pulley replacement be worth it? Does anybody know if the compressor is a 7SEU17C because if so I can get a new pulley for one from a buddy pretty damn cheap. Noise is constant whether ac is on or off so I'm guessing it's the bearing. I'm smaller framed too can definitely get my hands in there if its doable.
It’s likely the Denso 7SEU, yes, but you’ll want to double check. Should be possible to just take a look at it and confirm. I’d also check RealOEM using your VIN and see if it’s the only P/N for your car.

Funny you should ask. I actually purchased the bearing to replace mine which is making a bit of noise. But, there is a refrigerant line that runs SMACK in the middle of the pulley bolt... Whyyy BMW!? My understanding is that this is an xDrive thing. So being that your car is xDrive, take a look first. It’ll be exceptionally tricky if not impossible to replace the pulley without removing the compressor itself. Maybe this was just a pre-LCI thing though, I’m not sure.
      03-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It’s likely the Denso 7SEU, yes, but you’ll want to double check. Should be possible to just take a look at it and confirm. I’d also check RealOEM using your VIN and see if it’s the only P/N for your car.

Funny you should ask. I actually purchased the bearing to replace mine which is making a bit of noise. But, there is a refrigerant line that runs SMACK in the middle of the pulley bolt... Whyyy BMW!? My understanding is that this is an xDrive thing. So being that your car is xDrive, take a look first. It’ll be exceptionally tricky if not impossible to replace the pulley without removing the compressor itself. Maybe this was just a pre-LCI thing though, I’m not sure.
I got the coveted face lift model, hose is off to the side for me fortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #20
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just to clarify though the 6pk1105 is the exact belt that I need? Not too tight or too loose? I see so many different sizes people are saying to run on all the forums and online. Just want to not worry about popping a belt.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #21
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
I got the coveted face lift model, hose is off to the side for me fortunately.
Lucky haha. Wish mine was like that...

Quote:
Just to clarify though the 6pk1105 is the exact belt that I need? Not too tight or too loose? I see so many different sizes people are saying to run on all the forums and online. Just want to not worry about popping a belt.
Yes. It’s not 100% perfect but it fits extremely well. I wouldn’t be too worried. That’s the size mentioned in the tutorial that I linked to above and worked fine for me.
      03-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #22
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Have you tried removing the belt and starting your car? As drtmvr mentioned below, this is a good diagnostic technique. Based on the sound it's almost certainly something belt driven.

I've had a failing P/S pump before (and a noisy rack...) and neither sounded like what you have. My AC compressor is making some noise at times and sounds much more like what you're experiencing.

If the noise goes away when you run your car without the belt, try picking up a Bando 6PK1105 belt or equivalent and installing it per the instructions in this tutorial. This shorter belt will allow you to bypass the AC compressor. If your noise goes away, there's your issue.

Yes Bando is the oem for Honda's, I found them to be very good
Appreciate 0